ScottCM

What is this “Thermal” stuff you are talking about...

I have a rule that goes like this:

If my first ascent long pants and and a long sleeve shirt with my cycling wind jammer and cycling long finger gloves are not sufficient... then it is to cold for outside! Go to the gym or to the couch.

I get cold very easy and also dont have a problem applying my rule.

• Replies 17.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

i ran the whole winter here in shorts and first ascent thermal top.

..........Snipped.........

Very very cold days I wore 2 socks and jocks...but mostly it was shorts and long sleeve thermal with buff

Hehe sounds a bit like a vaalie sitting on the beach in the cold

I guess you still run in polly Type running shorts?

Why all the warm gear except for your legs?

I find my legs function better in the cold if they are wrapped up nicely in some long Lycra running tights with short Lycra running tights underneath.

Hehe sounds a bit like a vaalie sitting on the beach in the cold

I guess you still run in polly Type running shorts?

Why all the warm gear except for your legs?

I find my legs function better in the cold if they are wrapped up nicely in some long Lycra running tights with short Lycra running tights underneath.

Quite simply..I don't have the long pants... And never got round to getting them...I like the feel of cold windy my legs! The 2 socks jocks is only for short (under 10) runs.. Then it's 1x

But it's summer now.. Back to shirts and shorts [emoji847]

Another newbie question:

Winter running gear

What gear (clothing, not shoes) do you guys run in, during the chillier months?

Shorts and shirt/vest

Long tights and long shirt

Combination of the above

This winter will be my first, as a runner, and l’ve already noticed a difference in the need for ride gear vs running gear. Running seems that less is required.

Last Sunday I ran with two layers, a short sleeve shirt under a long sleeve shirt (both moisture control). My hands felt the cold almost the entire run (10km), yet I felt a tad warm with two shirts on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Normal short sleeve running shirt with cycling arm warmers. I find a base layer eventually gets too hot whereas the arm warmers keep me warm at the beginning but the breathable shirt keeps me cool later in the run. Also a buff. Starts out over my face our ears at the beginning, moves to the neck later, and then eventually on to my wrist as a handy sweat band/hanky when I start getting hot.

For anyone in the KZN area, Jess and I are planning to do a 65km slow run from Hilton to Karkloof and back tomorrow morning. If anyone's keen to join us for all or part of the run, drop me a DM.

For anyone in the KZN area, Jess and I are planning to do a 65km slow run from Hilton to Karkloof and back tomorrow morning. If anyone's keen to join us for all or part of the run, drop me a DM.

What route you planning. You can avoid traffic by taking the gravel road off to the right off the cedara road just before you cross the freeway. Ends up in merrivale. Goes past Candz farm

What route you planning. You can avoid traffic by taking the gravel road off to the right off the cedara road just before you cross the freeway. Ends up in merrivale. Goes past Candz farm

Might be an idea. I hate that Cedara road that crosses the freeway into Merrivale. The cars hum along there.

That's the route I was planning. Some nice, undulating climbs once you're on the Karkloof road. Pity you're overseas at the moment as I know you were keen to join us this year.

https://www.strava.com/routes/12859430

Never been sick this whole year, until this morning. So pissed off. Had to turn around on my long run. And thats the worst feeling. Just got No Power in my legs and sweating alot. So I will just take a day or two to recover and hopefully I'll be better come Monday. Because next weekend is my 60km long run and can't miss it. Damn u Flu..

Never been sick this whole year, until this morning. So pissed off. Had to turn around on my long run. And thats the worst feeling. Just got No Power in my legs and sweating alot. So I will just take a day or two to recover and hopefully I'll be better come Monday. Because next weekend is my 60km long run and can't miss it. Damn u Flu..

Don't stress about it. You are hundreds.... even silver hundreds....

Guys and gals....Without the comrades stress I am really now loving my running at the moment. Im starting to feel strong and now contemplating working towards a single strong Dublin Marathon in September... Just one marathon in the year.. Can you imagine that ????

Good luck. I was also sick two weeks ago. Still a bit blocked up but at least I can run . Running mates recon I look like a wildebeest with all the snot, sweat , blood and tears not a pretty sight.

Rather get it now and get over it than in 40days from now

Exactly. But you know how us runners are. If you miss one training session or long run, you will loose all your fitness. Lol.

Maybe its just Comrades nerves setting in.

First run, real run, after Omtom and I barely managed 10kms. Full itb pain from 3kms.  And damm sore today.

So I guess I have a two months taper, as in proper doing nothing taper, before comrades 2018 then...   :blink: :cursing: