ScottCM

• Replies 17.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I hope they're televising these big runs, Chicago this weekend, Rupp talking a big game... and then our crew hurtling around Amsterdam 2 weeks later.

The 235 is from what i can see, very runner focused and has good running features. The VA3 also has running features, but expands to more Smartphone capabilities and others (like golf, which I do play). the draw back is its not as runner focused like the 235.

any opinions? i need to purchase next week and cant make up my mind.

Wall of text warning:

Both the 235 and the VA3 integrate pretty well with your smartphone (alerts, controlling music on your phone, etc). The 235 is a great running watch with tons of customisability for setting up running workouts and the exact type of information you want during a race. But it is pretty much a dedicated sports watch (which I like as I don't want my watch interrupting the rest of my life). It also works with the Connect IQ store, which is where Garmin adds so much value as there are a ton of great 'apps' and widgets that extend the functionality of the watch. It also has great battery life at around 10 hours, I think.

That said, the VA3 does have Garmin Pay, which has already proven its worth with my 645. It's brilliant to be able to pay pretty much anywhere without having your card on you (currently only working with FNB). It also has about 3 hours more battery life during a workout. Like the Garmin 235 it has been software crippled to have a limited number of data screens but it has at least got 3 screens, one more than the 235. The caveat with that is they chose some weird system of forcing you to have the same number of data fields on each of those screens. So if you choose 4 data fields on 1 screen, your 2 remaining screens will also be set up for 4 data fields. I've got no idea why Garmin would do that. It also integrates with Connect IQ and I think it has native navigation, which, if it's anything like that on the 645, is extremely capable for trails and other routes. The 235 can also handle navigation via an app on the Connect IQ store but naturally that's a bit more fiddly.

The one thing I don't like is that the VA3 has a touch screen. That might appeal to you, I don't know, but I personally like the simplicity and reliability of button activations when I'm running.

It's a pity Garmin cripples their software to create differentiation but that's the nature of capitalism, I suppose. If you're looking for a watch that you can use more outside of running but still does a very capable job during your workouts, the VA3 looks like a good choice.

Edited by Barry Stuart

My husband has the Vivoactive and is touch screen, he loves the watch but I often hear him bitching about the touch screen... Your comment above reminded me about the touch screen problem.  

My husband has the Vivoactive and is touch screen, he loves the watch but I often hear him bitching about the touch screen... Your comment above reminded me about the touch screen problem.  

Especially when you add in sweaty fingers etc... 

Thought it was your birth date at first...  :ph34r: 

Good luck Stretchy, and remember to try some performance enhancing cookies at the local coffee shops  :whistling:

:thumbup:  This is the NB part of the trip

The run is just a subsidiary, thus why I'm arriving late (Thursday) and staying for a week afterwards.

My Race number is 558... I see I got seeded "White" with the sub2h40s and the "Kipchoge's" of the world... Could be a fun first few kms…

Stretch, where are you staying? We must try Hook up at the expo for a sneaky beer.

Wall of text warning:

Both the 235 and the VA3 integrate pretty well with your smartphone (alerts, controlling music on your phone, etc). The 235 is a great running watch with tons of customisability for setting up running workouts and the exact type of information you want during a race. But it is pretty much a dedicated sports watch (which I like as I don't want my watch interrupting the rest of my life). It also works with the Connect IQ store, which is where Garmin adds so much value as there are a ton of great 'apps' and widgets that extend the functionality of the watch. It also has great battery life at around 10 hours, I think.

That said, the VA3 does have Garmin Pay, which has already proven its worth with my 645. It's brilliant to be able to pay pretty much anywhere without having your card on you (currently only working with FNB). It also has about 3 hours more battery life during a workout. Like the Garmin 235 it has been software crippled to have a limited number of data screens but it has at least got 3 screens, one more than the 235. The caveat with that is they chose some weird system of forcing you to have the same number of data fields on each of those screens. So if you choose 4 data fields on 1 screen, your 2 remaining screens will also be set up for 4 data fields. I've got no idea why Garmin would do that. It also integrates with Connect IQ and I think it has native navigation, which, if it's anything like that on the 645, is extremely capable for trails and other routes. The 235 can also handle navigation via an app on the Connect IQ store but naturally that's a bit more fiddly.

The one thing I don't like is that the VA3 has a touch screen. That might appeal to you, I don't know, but I personally like the simplicity and reliability of button activations when I'm running.

It's a pity Garmin cripples their software to create differentiation but that's the nature of capitalism, I suppose. If you're looking for a watch that you can use more outside of running but still does a very capable job during your workouts, the VA3 looks like a good choice.

This is honestly the best side by side comparison I have read on the internet, thanks!

I think I am sold on the 235. Better for running, with great connecting to the watch (which is more than what I have right now) also has better functionality for runners (rest times, race predictor etc)

I was looking at the VA3 for better cellphone connectivity but you struck a cord with me, that is interrupting your life with app notifications. Calls are fine. don't want more than that.

Garmin Pay doesn't interest me, and I don't bank with FNB in anycase. I don't play enough golf and other sports to warrant the mulitsport functionality. 

thanks again. shall be getting my new watch most likely next week  :clap:  

also getting a new pair of running shoes :thumbup:  It's like christmas

Especially when you add in sweaty fingers etc... 

Thanks for the feedback  :thumbup:

[emoji106] This is the NB part of the trip

The run is just a subsidiary, thus why I'm arriving late (Thursday) and staying for a week afterwards.

My Race number is 558... I see I got seeded "White" with the sub2h40s and the "Kipchoge's" of the world... Could be a fun first few kms…

Stretch, where are you staying? We must try Hook up at the expo for a sneaky beer.

Arriving early.... I'm arriving on Saturday!!.. But then mine is only an hour and a bit flight

Was absolutely thinking that we must all get together.. If not before then definitely after. I'm staying in westerpark.. It's about 5km north of the stadium

Berlin Marathon race report plus a spur of the moment 16km race in Amsterdam- Better late than never I suppose

This was my second Marathon from the Abbott Major Marathon series having run Chicago Marathon last year. The goal at Berlin was to beat my Chicago 3h16 and try my best to achieve a Boston Marathon 3h05 qualification standard. This was my goal at Chicago and all was on track until about 32kms where I then faded hectically.

Following a decent Comrades I took a few weeks off running and then decided to take a chance and train towards a sub 3hr Marathon by using the Asics 16 week sub 3 plan compared to the sub 3h30 plan I used for Chicago.With the Comrades rest I did about 13 weeks of the 16 week plan. Lots of interval type of work involved and a few longer runs. All went okay and I only skipped one long run when I was in Dublin and it was raining, as it does over there. 885km in the build up.

Arrived in Berlin on the Friday to meet my boet. Off to registration which was efficient and expo was much bigger than Chicago. Didn't buy anything but thought it might be best to sample the juice on offer on the route as I couldn't stomach the Gatorade at Chicago and ended up relying on water. Ultrasports beetster was on offer and seemed decent enough. I know it's really not a good idea to try new things on race day and I have never done so in the past but I thought I'd also take a small bottle of Maurten mix on the race. I also had a gel which they were handing out during the race - haven't had a gel for years. Basically I was scared of the same fade as Chicago and so was willing to give new things a bash...go for broke I suppose.

The day before race day we decided to run the Hasenheide Parkrun which seemed like a British Parkrun with only a handful of locals Was a really good way to stretch the legs and ended up running with another Saffa at about 3min50/km. Was chuffed as it was my 50th Parkrun under 20min and I battled for a long time to break 20min about 15 months ago. The apfelstrudel and cream afterwards was top class.

The conditions on the day were prime and everything was very relaxed at the start with no fence jumping or pushing and shoving. Starting in the first batch of the second wave was lekker as it meant a 15min gap between us and the previous wave. Race tactic was to start off at my secret goal of sub 3hr pace of about 4.14/km and just see how it went. Had a very quick nature break in the 4th km but all seemed good. Kept sipping on the Maurten drink and smashed a few bananas from early on.

Unlike SA the tables do not offer plastic sachets for water but instead had a dreadful plastic cup which were a major slipping hazard being scattered all over the road.

Vibe was good and legs were okay so I passed through half way in 1:29:16...all on track. From the early 30s my pace was slowing slightly and I started doubting I'd finish in sub 3hrs but forced myself to have more bananas, beetroot juice and a gel. One thing I did have from SA was a Farbar which are awesome.

It was all about the mental game in the last few clicks as I began to realise that a sub 3 was still on the cards, if my maths in my fatigued state was correct. Somehow found decent speed in the last few kms with a sub 4min 42nd km. Crossed the line in 2:58:59. Very very happy with the result and so happy to run very near even splits of +27sec second half. Over 17min Marathon PB too!! Was lekker seeing a number of South Africans on the race and to see that Eliud Kipchoge smashed the world record.

Amsterdam Dam tot Damloop 16km -

Since we found ourselves in Amsterdam a week later we secured last minute entries to a 16km race. I think there were over 35000 participants in the 16km and over 75000 in the various distances. Weather was cold and raining and so I found myself scavenging a jersey left behind in a dustbin at the start. Again a chilled batch start, jersey off, and away we go. Thought the legs would have nothing left after Berlin so went for the "all out from start method" and chase a sub 1hr. Through 10km in about 37min20 but then legs lost their way a bit so crossed the line in 1:01:23. Again very happy all things considered.

Now to line up another event so training doesn't fade into nothing

Berlin Marathon race report plus a spur of the moment 16km race in Amsterdam- Better late than never I suppose

This was my second Marathon from the Abbott Major Marathon series having run Chicago Marathon last year. The goal at Berlin was to beat my Chicago 3h16 and try my best to achieve a Boston Marathon 3h05 qualification standard. This was my goal at Chicago and all was on track until about 32kms where I then faded hectically.

Following a decent Comrades I took a few weeks off running and then decided to take a chance and train towards a sub 3hr Marathon by using the Asics 16 week sub 3 plan compared to the sub 3h30 plan I used for Chicago.With the Comrades rest I did about 13 weeks of the 16 week plan. Lots of interval type of work involved and a few longer runs. All went okay and I only skipped one long run when I was in Dublin and it was raining, as it does over there. 885km in the build up.

Arrived in Berlin on the Friday to meet my boet. Off to registration which was efficient and expo was much bigger than Chicago. Didn't buy anything but thought it might be best to sample the juice on offer on the route as I couldn't stomach the Gatorade at Chicago and ended up relying on water. Ultrasports beetster was on offer and seemed decent enough. I know it's really not a good idea to try new things on race day and I have never done so in the past but I thought I'd also take a small bottle of Maurten mix on the race. I also had a gel which they were handing out during the race - haven't had a gel for years. Basically I was scared of the same fade as Chicago and so was willing to give new things a bash...go for broke I suppose.

The day before race day we decided to run the Hasenheide Parkrun which seemed like a British Parkrun with only a handful of locals Was a really good way to stretch the legs and ended up running with another Saffa at about 3min50/km. Was chuffed as it was my 50th Parkrun under 20min and I battled for a long time to break 20min about 15 months ago. The apfelstrudel and cream afterwards was top class.

The conditions on the day were prime and everything was very relaxed at the start with no fence jumping or pushing and shoving. Starting in the first batch of the second wave was lekker as it meant a 15min gap between us and the previous wave. Race tactic was to start off at my secret goal of sub 3hr pace of about 4.14/km and just see how it went. Had a very quick nature break in the 4th km but all seemed good. Kept sipping on the Maurten drink and smashed a few bananas from early on.

Unlike SA the tables do not offer plastic sachets for water but instead had a dreadful plastic cup which were a major slipping hazard being scattered all over the road.

Vibe was good and legs were okay so I passed through half way in 1:29:16...all on track. From the early 30s my pace was slowing slightly and I started doubting I'd finish in sub 3hrs but forced myself to have more bananas, beetroot juice and a gel. One thing I did have from SA was a Farbar which are awesome.

It was all about the mental game in the last few clicks as I began to realise that a sub 3 was still on the cards, if my maths in my fatigued state was correct. Somehow found decent speed in the last few kms with a sub 4min 42nd km. Crossed the line in 2:58:59. Very very happy with the result and so happy to run very near even splits of +27sec second half. Over 17min Marathon PB too!! Was lekker seeing a number of South Africans on the race and to see that Eliud Kipchoge smashed the world record.

Amsterdam Dam tot Damloop 16km -

Since we found ourselves in Amsterdam a week later we secured last minute entries to a 16km race. I think there were over 35000 participants in the 16km and over 75000 in the various distances. Weather was cold and raining and so I found myself scavenging a jersey left behind in a dustbin at the start. Again a chilled batch start, jersey off, and away we go. Thought the legs would have nothing left after Berlin so went for the "all out from start method" and chase a sub 1hr. Through 10km in about 37min20 but then legs lost their way a bit so crossed the line in 1:01:23. Again very happy all things considered.

Now to line up another event so training doesn't fade into nothing

Brilliant Berlin result! I'm super Jealous... I know I've got a sub 3 in me.. But at 43 time is running out. One of the frustrations of only running again seriously at 40.

Congratulations B-Rad! Thank you for the excellent write-up.

It seems Berlin is the place to go to smash your PB.