ScottCM

I only have 3 reasons for it to be a breeze. I should be fit enough by then, it's my home ground, and if my ITB remains silent, it WILL be a breeze, GOD WILLING :-)

If any race is a breeze you are going too slowly.

• Replies 17.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If any race is a breeze you are going too slowly.

To clarify, what I mean by it being a breeze, is that if I can manage to get through it without pain in my ITB, I am happy. My pace isn't great just yet but I'm where I need to be at this point.

How long did it take? 3 to 4 weeks?

Was looking at some stats... Youngest person to do the triple crown...AT, PCT and CDT is 9!

They left late March and got back late August, so more 4-5months...

I'm grumpy today because my hamstring started flaring up doing my speed work last night. I slowed it right down and ran out the rest of the session slowly. Time for a rub and few days off. Hopefully I caught it before I did damage

I'm grumpy today because my hamstring started flaring up doing my speed work last night. I slowed it right down and ran out the rest of the session slowly. Time for a rub and few days off. Hopefully I caught it before I did damage

My hammie / top of calf - all the bits that feed into the back of the knee - got smoked after a couple long runs two weeks ago. Hobbled around for a while, eventually went for some dry needling and almost immediately felt a million times better (albeit some deeeep bruising feeling at the exact needle spots the day after).

Big fan of needling and cannot recommend it highly enough.

My hammie / top of calf - all the bits that feed into the back of the knee - got smoked after a couple long runs two weeks ago. Hobbled around for a while, eventually went for some dry needling and almost immediately felt a million times better (albeit some deeeep bruising feeling at the exact needle spots the day after).

Never done it before. I've always just gone for a rub. If it doesn't feel better after my rub I'll definitely look into it.

I'm my case I had a hard week that finished with a hilly 15 mile run... And last nights speed work was just to much on an already tight hamstring. It took a lot for me to pull out of the session..I hate giving up... But I'm glad I did

Never done it before. I've always just gone for a rub. If it doesn't feel better after my rub I'll definitely look into it.

I'm my case I had a hard week that finished with a hilly 15 mile run... And last nights speed work was just to much on an already tight hamstring. It took a lot for me to pull out of the session..I hate giving up... But I'm glad I did

Ah no Stretch. That sucks

How often do you Stretch?

How often do you Stretch?

Not enough! Only when I need to..... Like now.

I used to have a tame physio up the road from me back in SA that was really cheap and really good and I used to pop into her regularly.... Just haven't got into that routine here

Edit... I've just seen you meant... Stretch.....I do so after every run and do a warm up before speed sessions

Edited by Stretch

Not sure if this has been covered recently (I'm reading the entire thread and it's long!)?

I'm getting to the point in my running where I need to improve on a few things, like strength and speed. And it occurs to me that I need solid data to do that properly, such as HR and cadence readouts.

My question regards running watches, wearable bands and smartphones.

I don't have the budget for a good running watch (R2000+ ?) so I'm looking at used, or alternatively a wearable (Samsung Fit) tethered to my phone.

I essentially want run data sent back to Strava, and also heart rate and cadence threshold alerts while running.

Can I ask you experienced runners what works for you? Are tethered devices viable (they seem cheaper if you have the phone already), or do they come up short?

Personally Ive experienced miracles with dry needling.

Not sure if this has been covered recently (I'm reading the entire thread and it's long!)?

I'm getting to the point in my running where I need to improve on a few things, like strength and speed. And it occurs to me that I need solid data to do that properly, such as HR and cadence readouts.

My question regards running watches, wearable bands and smartphones.

I don't have the budget for a good running watch (R2000+ ?) so I'm looking at used, or alternatively a wearable (Samsung Fit) tethered to my phone.

I essentially want run data sent back to Strava, and also heart rate and cadence threshold alerts while running.

Can I ask you experienced runners what works for you? Are tethered devices viable (they seem cheaper if you have the phone already), or do they come up short?

https://www.bikehub.co.za/classifieds/374866-suunto-ambit-3-hr/

Below your budget and everything you need for a long time to come

Agree 100% Scott. You wont get a better deal than that Ambit 3 watch for that price.

Yip... great watch that smashes all the 'basics' out the park. 

It might not have some of the fancy bells and whistles of the Fenix range, but for 99% of people, it's plenty enough watch. I missed mine for a long time after moving to the Fenix 3.

Only worry I would check on is the compatibility with Movescount app and link through to Discovery if that is important to you - I know there have been some hiccups with Suunto in this regard in the past