ScottCM

• Replies 17.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Pace is relative. What are you trying to achieve from your running? 

Everybody responds differently to training stimulus, you need to find out what works for you to get optimal performance. You aren't going to do the same training for a 5km, 42km or and ultra, same as you wouldn't do the same training for Berlin as for the Otter (both are around marathon distance). 

If you want to lift speed you will need to add speed drills into your session. If you want to improve strength you will need to add hill sessions. You will probably benefit from separating your sessions, but remember that recovery is important as this allows your body to adapt.

Try what worked for you on the bike, and start tinkering from there.

Any training when off a low base will provide improvement. 

The main objective is to qualify for and do Comrades in 2021. And I'd like to set a high goal for it, maybe a BR. So it appears that for that to happen I'll have to get a lot quicker.

What worked best for me on the bike was hammering for hours on the stationary bike in winter, then riding with the B group until I didn't get shelled out the back anymore. With running, however, there's no B group and it's all up to me (which is quite Zen, really).

Another noob question

I'm doing 4x10k training runs (Tues, We, THurs, Sat) and a 20k on Sunday. Looking at the Strava "Cyclists with running problem" group, I'm becoming concerned that my average speed is too slow (~6m30s/km).

My question is:

Do you push harder in the training runs (the hills here in Lonehill are ugly, and I lack vasbyt)?

Do you do strength and speed sessions (hill repeats, track) separately and let that find it's way to the training run speed?

Look forward to your comments

Sounds like you need to add a bit of variety into your training if you are just doing those 4x10k runs at a consistent effort.

I would replace two of those 10k runs with any of the following workouts:

• intervals
  • tempo run
  • hill repeats

But if you do this make sure your other runs are done at an easy pace.

The main objective is to qualify for and do Comrades in 2021. And I'd like to set a high goal for it, maybe a BR. So it appears that for that to happen I'll have to get a lot quicker.

What worked best for me on the bike was hammering for hours on the stationary bike in winter, then riding with the B group until I didn't get shelled out the back anymore. With running, however, there's no B group and it's all up to me (which is quite Zen, really).

You have got 20 months to get there. I wouldn't be worried about the pace yet, and yes 6:30/km is too slow. That will come in time. 

Spend the rest of the year, not worrying about speed and focus on getting running strong and efficient. Avoid getting yourself an injury. For me this is the biggest difference between running and riding. If you don't fall off your bike you probably don't get injured, something always hurts when you lift the running miles.

There are definitely B groups in Mordor, just need to find them. Also find your local TT and start hammering the 5k route every few weeks. Keep doing what you are for the rest of the year, 60km a week is plenty for a BR, especially if you do it for the next 18 months. Mix it up a little, do some hillier loops or a faster loop. You don't want to get stale.

Put some 21 & marathon goals down for 2020 and reassess where you are on Jan.

You are well on the way to the BR.

You have got 20 months to get there. I wouldn't be worried about the pace yet, and yes 6:30/km is too slow. That will come in time. 

Spend the rest of the year, not worrying about speed and focus on getting running strong and efficient. Avoid getting yourself an injury. For me this is the biggest difference between running and riding. If you don't fall off your bike you probably don't get injured, something always hurts when you lift the running miles.

There are definitely B groups in Mordor, just need to find them. Also find your local TT and start hammering the 5k route every few weeks. Keep doing what you are for the rest of the year, 60km a week is plenty for a BR, especially if you do it for the next 18 months. Mix it up a little, do some hillier loops or a faster loop. You don't want to get stale.

Put some 21 & marathon goals down for 2020 and reassess where you are on Jan.

You are well on the way to the BR.

Thanks, that's very encouraging!

LMAO at "B groups in Mordor". Now picturing an Uruk-hai bus.

Edited by Lotus

What works for me, is to do “lots of fast, but short intervals”, then run progressively faster with each week but lengthen the interval and reduce the number of reps.

I started with a 5Km TT to determine “race pace”. My race pace at the start was 5:30

Example:

Each workout has a 10-15 min warm up and 10 min cool down. The recovery between intervals is the same duration as the interval, at a walking pace.

Week 1 Day 1

20x 20 @ 5:30/km

Week 1 Day 2

15x 30s @ 5:30/km

Week 1 Day 3

10x 40s @ 5:30/km

Week 1 Day 4 is a 10Km run at 6:00/km

Week 2 - same duration as week 1, but all at 5:20/Km.

Week 3 Day 1

20x 30s @ 5:20/km

Week 3 Day 2

15x 40s @ 5:20/km

Week 3 Day 3

10x 50s @ 5:20/km

Week 3 Day 4 is a 10Km run at 5:50/km

Week 4 is recovery - take it easy.

In Week 5, the pace increases to 5:10/Km, but the interval length remains the same as Week3.

In Week 6, the interval increases by 10s, i.e. 40/50/60s and the pace stays at 5:10.

Week 7 is the same interval length as week 6 but the pace is at 5:00.

Week 8 is another recovery week, followed by a 5Km TT. The training then starts again at the pace the 5Km was completed in. I saw an improvement in my 5Km time drop to 25:01 vs 27:29 at the start.

The same principle can apply to lengthening the intervals more with lesser reps.

Or if you can,get yourself a coach. They can so wonders.

You can def listen to Edgar and Ferret. They are super fast and always have the best advise.

Edited by Lexx

Is this all done on a treadmill? (Except day 4)

I started on the treadmill, but then did some of the workouts on the road. Getting the treadmill up to speed and back down again was a challenge.

I usually add the workout in Garmin Connect the download it to my device, then I only need to listen out for the interval timer (actually vibrate).

I can seriously recommend an hour at the track (or similar) at least once a week.

Speed work is essential if you want to run faster. Not just speed work like attacking a hill or a few fartleks, but a dedicated speed session.

That way you will get used to running at a faster tempo, the muscle memory gets comfortable running faster and you then run faster using the same amount of energy/effort.

It takes some discipline but the benefits are massive.

Churning out miles is brilliant if you want to be consistent and get strong, but you won't go faster unless you train faster, at least once a week.

For me it's

Tuesday - Tempo runs or hills

Wednesday - Recovery run

Friday - Speedwork intervals on the treadmill

Sunday - Long runs

Rest of week filled with cycling, swimming and strength/core.....

One would expect so

I sent a query through to Boldgear. Have received a response saying their shorts do not have a lining. They sell their lining as a separate garment.

How long have you been running...?

I’d stick with only slow sessions for at least 2-3 months, while slowly increasing your weekend long run. After this I would look at introducing one, and later two speed/hill/interval sessions a week...

Don’t worry about speed now, it will come...