ScottCM

Jim Walmsey finished 22nd in the US Olympic trials marathon on Saturday in 2h15. Not bad for a debut marathon. As far as this years Comrades contenders go it'd place him right up there in terms of Marathon time. 2h15/16/17 ish on the marathon is a good place to be if you're trying to win the big one.

• Replies 17.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Jim Walmsey finished 22nd in the US Olympic trials marathon on Saturday in 2h15. Not bad for a debut marathon. As far as this years Comrades contenders go it'd place him right up there in terms of Marathon time. 2h15/16/17 ish on the marathon is a good place to be if you're trying to win the big one.

Was he trying to qualify?... Bit if we odd event to do if he wasnt going for Olympics... And I really couldn't see him going for Olympics.... Anyway.. He was a bit off the qualification time

London marathon is shaping up to be epic

We can only hope. The rate stuff is getting cancelled I wouldn't hold my breath. 

Granted a lot closer to 'home', but the Tokyo marathon this past weekend - usually has almost 40,000 people running, only had 200 elites. (with some blitzing times too)

Edited by CBlake

He already showed that he can't keep up that pace past 50mi. He is going to get crushed at Comrades.

He already showed that he can't keep up that pace past 50mi. He is going to get crushed at Comrades.

I'm no walmsley fan.. But that run his sole objective was breaking the 50mi record.. He literally stopped and took a rest after the 50mi mark and then took an easy run home for the remaining km Edited by Stretch

We can only hope. The rate stuff is getting cancelled I wouldn't hold my breath.

Granted a lot closer to 'home', but the Tokyo marathon this past weekend - usually has almost 40,000 people running, only had 200 elites. (with some blitzing times too)

Stop!.... I'm starting to get worried about Boston!

I love how so many people are excited to see him get crushed at comrades.

Pitty we won't see the top comrades runners at WS100 or Hardrock 100 later this year.

Was he trying to qualify?... Bit if we odd event to do if he wasnt going for Olympics... And I really couldn't see him going for Olympics.... Anyway.. He was a bit off the qualification time

I'd imagine he was giving it a shot. Saturday's trials event was a race where only the top 3 make the Olympics. Finish time doesn't matter. Galen Rupp was pretty dominant out front. Was a great race for 2nd and 3rd. Jake Riley is an unsponsored athlete and came through in 2nd just ahead of 43 year old Abdi Abdirahman who will be going to his 5th Olympics.

I'm no walmsley fan.. But that run his sole objective was breaking the 50mi record.. He literally stopped and took a rest after the 50mi mark and then took an easy run home for the remaining km

They went for the 100km WR. He had nothing left after 50miles

I'd imagine he was giving it a shot. Saturday's trials event was a race where only the top 3 make the Olympics. Finish time doesn't matter. Galen Rupp was pretty dominant out front. Was a great race for 2nd and 3rd. Jake Riley is an unsponsored athlete and came through in 2nd just ahead of 43 year old Abdi Abdirahman who will be going to his 5th Olympics.

I suppose also a good competitive run to use to test mental strength as well as physical strength of a fast marathon. Forgot about the trials.. But I'll catch up the summarised version on the TRP YouTube channel

P.s never realised the top 3 only went through.. That's quite a limited representation from the Yanks. Be interesting to see how Rupp does in Tokyo... But my guess is that the east Africans are on another level at the moment

They went for the 100km WR. He had nothing left after 50miles

Nah... He was just going for the 50mi. Look at his splits immediately after the 50mi... He literally stopped.. Took some nutrients on.. Probably a few high fives and then carried on on his way

Look at his heart rate up to the 50mi compared with that after.. If he was broken his heart rate would be high not in recovery rate

282d3729a2024a2530141abbbc7a9615.jpg

and then in the following weeks he was doing 6000-9800 m elevation gain per week :mellow:

Edited by dave303e

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q9E5tMBh0XY

His interview afterwards.  Next target is Comrades.

So the guy can actually be modest if he wants...