ScottCM

But it is ultimately the right call...

I see there are two treadmills in the classifieds though Hacc  :whistling:

I am in two minds about buying one... It is not cheap and am I going to use it after the lock down? 

Then I am also thinking, what if they extend the lock down like they have done in other countries?

• Replies 17.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Message last night from our body corporate, I am devastated as I was also planning to run in the estate:

Dear Residents 

Lockdown means that you have to remain in the confines of your property. Wondering around the complex, jogging, walking your dog, etc. are not allowed. You may leave your home individually or in small groups to obtain necessities or seek medical attention only. If you do, be quick, in and out, and maintain sanitation and take the necessary extra measures. 

Please stay at home. This is for the benefit of everyone. 

Regards

They are right. The more shortcuts we look for will just drag this whole ordeal out and make these pretty severe efforts less effective. And then we really did just waste 3 weeks of life...

It sucks but we just need to sit tight. (regardless of my last post)

Do yoga, push ups, free letics etc... You can get jail yard ripped in 3 weeks and get pretty strong.

Squats, dips, lunges.... Be creative. Check out The Andrew Tracey and 'The Nomad Way' for inspiration on how to use every day items to stay functionally fit... You are not your running miles or your gym membership

Do yoga, push ups, free letics etc... You can get jail yard ripped in 3 weeks and get pretty strong.

Squats, dips, lunges.... Be creative. Check out The Andrew Tracey and 'The Nomad Way' for inspiration on how to use every day items to stay functionally fit... You are not your running miles or your gym membership

You are not your f***ing khakis

Googling "how long does it take to get unfit":

https://runnersconnect.net/losing-running-fitness/

attachicon.gifunfit chart.JPG

I'm still working like a dog (from home), but if things slow down during the lock down I definitely want to get into some sort of daily workout routine using my own body weight...

21 days of squats, lunges, glute and core strengthening... you might actually run a PB when they let us out

I don't understand why CMA cannot make a decision. Whag are they waiting for?

(At the time of this message there are 422 829 cases (almost half a mil!!!) and 18 909 deaths!! (almost 20k)

The lockdown period is also the high mileage period of Comrades training.

PS. I am very impressed with Overkruin running club. I got an email from them asking for my banking details. They want to do a refund of race entries. Nothing from Runzone, Loskop or any other race I have entered. 

82 days to go, almost 3 months

The lockdown plan is to "flatten the curve" not cure the disease, potentially in 3 months the curve will "flatter" and CM could still go ahead.

Comrades statement on Monday said they will review again on 17 April

CMA Chairperson, Cheryl Winn says, “With nearly three months to go to #Comrades2020, the CMA Board has decided that it is premature to postpone this year’s Comrades Marathon. We will however continue to monitor the situation on a daily basis and will make a decision by April 17th depending upon how the situation evolves on whether to postpone #Comrades2020 to a date later in the year.”

Peak training / high mileage will be a challenge... who knows maybe this year the majority of athletes will be undertrained and well rested, resulting in better times :-)

82 days to go, almost 3 months

The lockdown plan is to "flatten the curve" not cure the disease, potentially in 3 months the curve will "flatter" and CM could still go ahead.

Comrades statement on Monday said they will review again on 17 April

CMA Chairperson, Cheryl Winn says, “With nearly three months to go to #Comrades2020, the CMA Board has decided that it is premature to postpone this year’s Comrades Marathon. We will however continue to monitor the situation on a daily basis and will make a decision by April 17th depending upon how the situation evolves on whether to postpone #Comrades2020 to a date later in the year.”

Peak training / high mileage will be a challenge... who knows maybe this year the majority of athletes will be undertrained and well rested, resulting in better times :-)

I don't think this (virus) will be close to under enough control to go ahead safely. 3 months is pretty short, and we're basically about to lose a month.

Very soon we'll need qualifiers, all over the world, and in a months time already jamming 2/3 thousand people together seems reckless. (I do though see using last years official qualifiers times as the easiest way past this though.)

5000 (is it?) foreign runners enter comrades, say half of which could be from virus hot spots, again seems to be asking for prematurely avoidable problems.

I don't think this (virus) will be close to under enough control to go ahead safely. 3 months is pretty short, and we're basically about to lose a month.

Very soon we'll need qualifiers, all over the world, and in a months time already jamming 2/3 thousand people together seems reckless. (I do though see using last years official qualifiers times as the easiest way past this though.)

5000 (is it?) foreign runners enter comrades, say half of which could be from virus hot spots, again seems to be asking for prematurely avoidable problems.

Yeah sure, no one can say what it will be like in 3 months, we might all be to sick to run anywhere or it might have been brought under control... keep in mind in SA it is not out of control (touch wood).

As for all the foreign runners, currently the vast majority will not be allowed to travel and if this remains in force then they won't be a factor.

Anyway, I think CM are doing the right thing to wait until mid April before making a decision.

Anyway, I think CM are doing the right thing to wait until mid April before making a decision.

I don't. i think they are bring ignorant and selfish. By not making an announcement they are going to jeopardise the whole point of the lockdown as people will still try and put in their required mileage. Every single international event has been cancelled this year.

Like I said earlier. I have lost all respect for the organisers

I think its irresponsible for the Minister to say people are allowed to go for a walk and run. Now everyone will be a runner and the seriousness of the lockdown wont mean a thing. I still think people dont take this virus seriously. Rather run around the house or up and down the complex. He is just confusing alot of people.

I think its irresponsible for the Minister to say people are allowed to go for a walk and run. Now everyone will be a runner and the seriousness of the lockdown wont mean a thing. I still think people dont take this virus seriously. Rather run around the house or up and down the complex. He is just confusing alot of people.

Agreed. That was a big mistake. We need as few people moving as possible. And for as few reasons as possible.