How to ride my first race with a Power Meter

Spirog

Being a fatty, I end up isolated a lot. Then, you ride according to your FTP. Zone 4 and top of zone 3 is the sweet spot where you should be able to push for ages.

Otherwise, in a bunch just look at the wheel ahead, not your power number. You should be okay.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So, whay % of your FTP to do you aim to race at?

Still figuring this one out properly... With the power of the internet and some black magic, I worked out that my FTP was 296. But my normalized power at the end of a 2:30 race was 303w. So I am not sure if I have worked it out properly. 

Still figuring this one out properly... With the power of the internet and some black magic, I worked out that my FTP was 296. But my normalized power at the end of a 2:30 race was 303w. So I am not sure if I have worked it out properly. 

Pretty close - might be a bit low at 296 - maybe 10% low - close enough anyway.

MTB race power measurements vary a LOT - best to do a flat out 20m TT or use a trainer to determine this - a slight uphill seems to work best for doing it on the road - gravel roads deliver different numbers, so tar works most consistently.

Pretty close - might be a bit low at 296 - maybe 10% low - close enough anyway.

MTB race power measurements vary a LOT - best to do a flat out 20m TT or use a trainer to determine this - a slight uphill seems to work best for doing it on the road - gravel roads deliver different numbers, so tar works most consistently.

Thanks a lot, I will give that a go. I had worked out FTP from my recent PPO test results.

Sorry, should have specified. My power meter is on my MTB. 

No "deciding" your pace in a road race.

On a MTB Race there simply is NO time to look at the power meter - especialy in single track and technical areas. PM is for training and post-race analysis only - and for that it is worth its weight in gold!

2:30 at 300W = :eek:

So, whay % of your FTP to do you aim to race at?

This is irrelavant.

The guys winning our local races are winning them with average power outputs of 210W-220W... This is lower than my last race average yet their FTP is so much higher.

This is because of shared work loads, percentage of responsibility, chasing breaks, not chasing breaks etc.

Racing with a power meter is only relevant if you need to pace yourself up a big climb. Or on a MTB where it is effectively a solo ride. Or is you want to go on a solo break away and need to know how to pace yourself.

Otherwise it is about the pace of the group.

Honestly, dont worry about power during races, focus on the wheels in front of you and the bunch movements. Use the power data retrospectively to adjust your training.

Thanks a lot, I will give that a go. I had worked out FTP from my recent PPO test results.

What is you PPO and out of interest what PPO test did you do?

Unless you are Chris Froome and climbing a 15km 8% gradient alpine mountain or doing a time trial, you don't need a power-meter for racing.

This x a lot!

This is irrelavant.

The guys winning our local races are winning them with average power outputs of 210W-220W... This is lower than my last race average yet their FTP is so much higher.

This is because of shared work loads, percentage of responsibility, chasing breaks, not chasing breaks etc.

Racing with a power meter is only relevant if you need to pace yourself up a big climb. Or on a MTB where it is effectively a solo ride. Or is you want to go on a solo break away and need to know how to pace yourself.

Otherwise it is about the pace of the group.

Honestly, dont worry about power during races, focus on the wheels in front of you and the bunch movements. Use the power data retrospectively to adjust your training.

This

Roadrace - don't lose the wheel!!