Happy Birthday Lance Armstrong

fanievb

• 8 months later...
  • Replies 407
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Some of you know Peter Attia, and some remember Lance. Haven’t seen this podcast link anywhere. Was a good listen, in places, even though I’m only halfway through it.

#doesnotimplyilikelance

• 3 months later...
On 6/6/2023 at 1:55 PM, Frosty said:

Some of you know Peter Attia, and some remember Lance. Haven’t seen this podcast link anywhere. Was a good listen, in places, even though I’m only halfway through it.

#doesnotimplyilikelance

great recommendation, it was a really captivating interview.  I enjoy Attia and its clear they know each other well. 

What I don't get is why there are still people out there who are hell-bent on hating the oke so much - he really became quite a lightning rod.  I think its his cast-iron strength of will that enabled him to  survive when you listen to what happened to the other characters in the story at the time and how they ended up, many now dead.  Some people like Betsy have literally dedicated their lives to this story and not lived their own, quite sad.  Windscreens and rear-view mirrors - great analogy in the interview

25 minutes ago, PygaSchmyga said:

What I don't get is why there are still people out there who are hell-bent on hating the oke so much.

Some people like Betsy have literally dedicated their lives to this story and not lived their own, quite sad

Good observation.

Can be applied to many of us, where we’re focused on what other people do/say and forget to lead our own lives.

1 hour ago, PygaSchmyga said:

What I don't get is why there are still people out there who are hell-bent on hating the oke so much - he really became quite a lightning rod.  I think its his cast-iron strength of will that enabled him to  survive when you listen to what happened to the other characters in the story at the time and how they ended up, many now dead.  Some people like Betsy have literally dedicated their lives to this story and not lived their own, quite sad.  Windscreens and rear-view mirrors - great analogy in the interview

I don't know the whole story well enough, but maybe those people feel that their lives were negatively impacted (ruined) enough to not be able to forget and put this behind them (to forgive, is another story). There is quite a list of people who got trampled.
I agree. its all quite sad. The before, the during and the afters.

On 9/20/2023 at 10:48 AM, PygaSchmyga said:

great recommendation, it was a really captivating interview.  I enjoy Attia and its clear they know each other well. 

Agreed, for a lot of random people external to the whole debacle, they really are fixated about it.

Although personally I disagree with the reference towards Betsy Welsch Andreau, she's really outspoken about what went down, but I wouldn't correlate that with not living her own life. She was directly in Armstrong's line of fire those years, I don't think that many people would be forgiving of someone who actively pursued destroying their livelihood (the Andreu's among many others) and making threats. 

Armstrong deserves the ban issued, it's no one else's fault but his own. Does that mean I'm going to vilify the guy, do I hate him and think he has no place in making a living, even if indirectly from the sport, hell no. His pod and guests carry a lot of insight and good value, I enjoy the perspective they offer.  
Pretty sure he's working his own demons out and trying to reconcile more than a few demons. I have empathy and hope his journey finds redemption and happiness. But make no mistake, he betrayed that 'legendary' status and is no victim.