corriekuilder

Thanks for the invite, but I dont think I will be in the area any time soon

No problem, was aimed at the OP

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

My neck is hurting due to the intense rolling of my eyes...

Roll all you want, make sure you do a hair flick at the same time princess. Rietvlei for me is super fun, especially when you're starting out. But I prefer thaba's longer trails and technicality.

Rietvlei is ideal for family mtb. The entry was R30 forever. So this price increase is probably due . Thaba if you want to do some good training.

I was not going to say anything or reply to corriekuilder.......I appreciate the fact that you have the time to post here....I just want to bring you up to date... Firstly we have not had a price increase for four years...if not longer. However our rent has gone up each year..our wages have gone up each year....petrol goes up and down like a yoyo.....if you speak to any park owner you'll see the passion in his eyes and this is what drives us...we have been working on the safety aspect for some time and we have transponders on order for GPS location in an emergency....We haven't had the freedom of the park for some time now and we are not allowed to build new sections as we share the park with horses,dogs, walkers and runners. The feeling I have after reading this is to throw in the towel for the trails at Rietvlei..give it to our landlord and I may have peace in my life...just my feelings and it's not a "pity party" as some of my so called friends would say but a feeling of "it's time to move on"

Guest notmyname

Roll all you want, make sure you do a hair flick at the same time princess. Rietvlei for me is super fun, especially when you're starting out. But I prefer thaba's longer trails and technicality.

Did you forget to take you Xanax this morning? Is that why you're name calling? Or is it something else? Maybe your morbid disposition...

Edited by Small Fry

Yep... Move the whole setup to Thaba, where you're able to develop the already amazing trails at your leisure... Leave Rietvlei to the runners etc and let them look after their own trails and people's safety. Thaba has the potential to be what Rietflei was when there was always night riding and racing, in the days of Mark Stockton.

Uncle, don't let moangatte like CorrieKulder get under your skin. It's easy to criticize from a pedestal about a few Rand and other nonsense when you have no clue about what it takes or costs to run a park with you hands tied behind your back.

Much like Logwood was a stepping stone in the history of South African mountain biking in Gauteng, so too is Rietvlei. It has it's place in the community, I encourage all beginners to ride at rietvlei, it offers the most variety, all not too far from the parkinglot in case one has to take a walk back ( not everyone is a xco superstar their first ride out on an mtb)

Keep it up Wendell, and thank you for the effort you and your builders have put in over the years.

Hi all, a more direct question regarding the safety at thaba and rietvlei trials. Has there been any recent incidents and is it safe to cycle on your own?

Firstly,baaisiklist,I'm not a moangat,if ever i have a concern,I wil will raise it. Wendell,I have met you before on a 24hour,And appreciate the work that you are doing. I understand the costs involved in building and maintaining trails,my biggest issue is,that after reporting suspicious persons to the security,I was told off by them. I apologize for misdirecting my concern, in terms of the costs, that is my personal opinion.

Wendell if you close Rietvlei I'll be toyi toyi-ing in front of the gates! I can't add anything to what baaisiklist has said but there is no doubt it has a place and it would be a sad day should you close it because of a few unhappy patrons. To the majority to my knowledge they are enjoyable!

I only know of one incident at Rietvlei a little while ago .... I ride at both parks 3-4 times a week and full no less safe than if I go out on the public roads that's for sure!

I was not going to say anything or reply to corriekuilder.......I appreciate the fact that you have the time to post here....I just want to bring you up to date... Firstly we have not had a price increase for four years...if not longer. However our rent has gone up each year..our wages have gone up each year....petrol goes up and down like a yoyo.....if you speak to any park owner you'll see the passion in his eyes and this is what drives us...we have been working on the safety aspect for some time and we have transponders on order for GPS location in an emergency....We haven't had the freedom of the park for some time now and we are not allowed to build new sections as we share the park with horses,dogs, walkers and runners. The feeling I have after reading this is to throw in the towel for the trails at Rietvlei..give it to our landlord and I may have peace in my life...just my feelings and it's not a "pity party" as some of my so called friends would say but a feeling of "it's time to move on"

thanks for all the hard work, and please ignore pinheads who suffer from over self-entitlement.  They are dealing with mommy issues, or something.  Love your trails, and will continue to support

My 2c - no doubt maintaining trails cost a fortune never mind creating new things to keep people coming back, but I can understand how a jump from R30 - R50 will seem exhorbitant. Even if the R10 is for parking and the money is going to the land owners and nit the trail builders.

If PWC can hike their price to R75 from what I can remember being about R35 since 2013 - and still have the place packed, I foresee lots of increases coming up on all the bike park places.

Venues should introduce annual increases to avoid the sudden big jumps - that might help.

The old you ride a 40k bike and you bitch about R20 increase doesn't gel for me. I agree the ride at Rietvlei when I started out was good practice, but the last time I was there, with all the other activities going on, it was just too frenetic for me, I rather drive on to Thaba, but no doubt as a family friendly venue, and for those that do both in one ride, it has its place.

For someone like me that rides on my own a lot, security is a big concern. I know nobody can guarantee my safety, but if there's security on the premises, and if their response is to shrug and say oh well... Then that's an issue with the land owners or whoever pays for security to create a perceived "secure" venue.

Anyway, that's all. Don't know what my point was, just wanted to say that.

Firstly,baaisiklist,I'm not a moangat,if ever i have a concern,I wil will raise it. Wendell,I have met you before on a 24hour,And appreciate the work that you are doing. I understand the costs involved in building and maintaining trails,my biggest issue is,that after reporting suspicious persons to the security,I was told off by them. I apologize for misdirecting my concern, in terms of the costs, that is my personal opinion.

maybe you should read your post again.  The bulk of it focuses on R20, and comes across pretty moan-gat-ee to me.  You have seen first hand the damage these posts make to seriously passionate people like Wendell, so maybe just because you can, does not always mean you should.  Comment, that is.

Hmm, so appreciative and understanding... Funny then that your thread title isn't something along the lines of "Rietvlei Zoo Farm Safety Concern", or similar, you know, that makes reference to your "biggest issue".

From the title you chose to use instead, it seems very much that your "biggest issue" is being ripped off, in that it cost you a few bux more to ride, without the added value you expected for it...

When the petrol price goes up, do you moan that the extra money doesn't get you more km's...?