Climbing with 9 Speed 12- 25t ultegra cassette on road bike

Mulalo.ramonedi

I god myself a road bike after two years riding an MTB(40% Off Road, 60% Road) riding.

I find it extremely hard to climb hills, the very same ones on the road i used to ride with my MTB.

My road bike is just under 10kg with pedals, my MTB was way above 15kg.

Will it get better with time or should i get the same Cassette setup i had on my MTB onto the road bike ?

The MTB was also 9 Speed, what should i take into consideration if i decide to go this route ?

I god myself a road bike after two years riding an MTB(40% Off Road, 60% Road) riding.

I find it extremely hard to climb hills, the very same ones on the road i used to ride with my MTB.

Will it get better with time or should i get the same Cassette setup i had on my MTB onto the road bike ?

The MTB was also 9 Speed, what should i take into consideration if i decide to go this route ?

Just pray harder

Must be the gear ratio: road bike ussually 53/39 (in front) while your mtb would probably have a 42/32/24...so you will be spinning more on the climbs with the mtb and grinding uphills on the road bike...

Maybe you should wait a month or so before changing anything...you might become use to the gear ratio on the road bike! If not, you can maybe change to an 11-28 or 12-27 casette at the back ^_^

Road bikes = *** off until you get stronger. The gears are not kind. You won't be able to fit a MTB cassette because a road derailleur doesn't have the range to accommodate it - as Reg says, the biggest you can go is 27 or 28 teeth at the back.

...pulled my old steel road bike out for a road race a few years back. Still had the old 52/42 up front and 12/21 at the back. We really used to crunch gears back in the day lol!

Where did you get a road bike that weighs 10kg? Take off a few kg's and the climbing will be easier.

Jokes aside that is the normal gearing on a road bike. A 9 speed cassette is a bit outdated but you should be able to climb up any hill with that. I have a 11 speed 11 /25. Riding the Cradle I don't get off the big chainring.

Years ago I bought and restored an Panasonic DX5000.

The guy had done a 2:45 on it in the Argus.

53/42 and 11/21 - Biopace nogal!

Those were hard men.

Road bikes = *** off until you get stronger. The gears are not kind.

It works both ways.

I've ridden road for years, no hill too big no speed too high, recently got my first mtb and I am absolutely kakking with that thing.

Two different worlds, one set of legs. The legs just need time to adapt to a different style of riding.

Consider compact cranks if things don't work out as they are.

Go this route or get a 11-28 casette if you find the hills are still a problem... 

It works both ways.

I've ridden road for years, no hill too big no speed too high, recently got my first mtb and I am absolutely kakking with that thing.

Two different worlds, one set of legs. The legs just need time to adapt to a different style of riding.

This is true. Road = power, MTB = torque. Two very different kinds of strength.

I run a 12/25 and a compact crank. The compact helps. took my wife down from a standard 53/43 to a compact and her avg speed improved.

Make sure your wheels and bearings everywhere is loose and working.