[Event] 2016 Cape Town Cycle Tour

News bot

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

looking for tandem hire or lend or rental for CTCT 2016 i'm in CPT

Go and try one before the Tour.

Go and try one before the Tour.

Did before in the argurst actually... Not planning on winning riding with my old man, a 70th birthday gift from me to to him [emoji33]

Did before in the argurst actually... Not planning on winning riding with my old man, a 70th birthday gift from me to to him [emoji33]

I'm doing it with the wife. New to this tandem thing but its fun.

Hi there :)

I am able to get a ticket last minute, honestly & realistically can one get Argus fit in 47 days?

I am able to get a ticket last minute, honestly & realistically can one get Argus fit in 47 days?

Define fit? Wanna do a sub 3? Hell no. Sub 4 in 47 days? Better get training and I hope you are already fit. Finish the race? Sure, more than enough time.

I know of people who have done the Argus with no training. They finished just before cut-off and could not walk for a few days. But it can be done. 

For sure. Well finish fit at least.

Lets hope the 2009 wind is not repeated on 6th March 2016.

You know what they say about 7 year cycles. Never know.

Okay. So I constantly hear 2009 being referred to as the year of the big wind, but I never rode.

2014 however was throwing people off bikes left and right. Can someone comment on how 2014 stacks up against the wind in 2009?

OK this wouldn't be a proper Argus thread without loads of angst regarding the wind (the seeding bitching, Sub-3 advice, double laps bitching, goodie bag bitching will follow later). 

But seriously, this is Cape Town, there is always wind, there will be wind on the day. It's a circle route so some of it will be headwind and some crosswind and some tailwind.

Just get used to the idea and you'll be fine.... 

Okay. So I constantly hear 2009 being referred to as the year of the big wind, but I never rode.

2014 however was throwing people off bikes left and right. Can someone comment on how 2014 stacks up against the wind in 2009?

No idea how it compared but the wind seriously pumped on the way back, did a 2:52 and going up smits I was on 1:30 odd and completed the remaining 60km in an hour 20. 

Wind sucked on way out, helped on way back

so I heard via via, that there's a possibility that the route might change for this year as Chappies is still not declared safe...

Any of the locals have anything on this ?

I am not keen on spending 10k+ to get to Cpt only to hear that there has been a detour...

I really get annoyed with all this safety nonsense. Part of your entry is accepting an indemnity that you will not hold the organiser responsible for any damage, injury or death. So just let those who want ride do the ride, if you catch fire in an inferno or get blown off chappies then so be it. Just adds a bit more of a challenge and fun factor to it all.

If the portaloos remain upright and in place, it's not windy.!

2014 had nothing on 2009. (imo)

Archived