News bot

Must say, you roadies dumped a lot of tubes next to the road

My pet peeve that one.

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Great day out with the family on Tour.Saw lots of mechanicals.Big up to all the marshalls,medics,staff manning waterpoints,bike repair guys and all other staff involved.

Big up to all the riders at the back end for being very friendly ,motivating each other and riding carefully especially around the waterpoints.

+ 1 It is hard work being out there from 4 in the morning till 5 in the afternoon. Big UP also to the cleaning up crews. If you look at the route this morning , everything is gone and back to normal.

Our results are up on Racetek and showing within seconds of what we measured ourselves. So even that worked like clockwork (sorry, couldn't resist).

So i had a crap day on the bike. Picked up a stomach bug friday and couldnt keep anything down until one slice of toast sunday morning. Yet decided to try it out. (lost 4 kilos in 2 days - good for the diet not good if your not very fit in general)

Anyway decided to go with the wife and see how it plays out. Was fine until simonstown. There i started getting dizzy and soon after very nauseous made it to the waterpoint just before noordhoek and there i flooded like ive never before. Went to the medical tent and my pulse was racing, they gave me some injections and told me to rather call it a day. This was at 12h.

So i've never even bothered to check out how the sweepers work but i fount out yesterday. They radio for a sweeper and the doc told me the previous guy was gone in 30 minutes. After an hour a sweeper came but had only spots for two, so it was me and a lady with a broken hand. When we got to the actual sweeper another person on the road climbed in so only a spot for 1.

So i let the lady go, then they tell me the big sweep is at noordhoek, 3 kilos down the road, just ride there. Off i go, few minutes later i am there. Only to find out there are guys there that have crashed out at 8h30 the morning, its 13h now. So the problem was, the big sweep was at the noordhoek farm village and the police blocked the road off at the bottom where the cyclists come past. So every small sweep that comes past they tell them to keep going road closed.

We ended up waiting untill 3pm when the race was stopped at noordhoek for the bus to fill up so we can leave.

This is the most pathetic organizing i have ever seen. I understand the bus can't ride with 20 poeple in it but hell dont let the small sweeps pass then. We ended up back at the stadium only at 16h10. more than 4 hours for me but for the poor other guys it was almost 8 hours of waiting.

The argus will never ever see me again.

The argus will never ever see me again.

Why you blaming the organizers for your wrong doing, or call it stupidity? Why get on the bike in the first place if you pick up a bug 2 days before a 109km cycle??

Wow so much hate for Nolan Hoffman, i don't recall other ex-doppers getting the same treatment Nolan is getting right here so I can only attribute it to...never mind it's not Friday yet.

Watch the replay & you'll see he was boxed in, his own fault though as he didn't know who to mark/follow & left it too late to kick, but seriously let it go guys.

I agree, milky'

The Hoff sat out his fine for his infringement.

Paid his dues.

I'm excited for a new winner in Road Cover's Hendricks.

Awesome stuff.

Still a very respectable podium for The Hoff'.

Sorry to hear dude, hope you heal up soon!! And Dale!!

This is exactly why I didn't want to race this fun ride...

Yeah, Patch'

It's pretty intense in the first few bunches, as you know.

Sitting in the marshal's camping chair watching the later bunches come past, it was so serene in there.

2:52 from 1A and finished in the sprint bunch. Group started off way too conservatively which slowed the overall time I reckon by 5min. The bunch smashed the climbs and the last third from the bottom of Chappies.

The falls and general lack of etiquette and bunch-rising skills was clearly evident yet again. Touching wheels, hooking bars, panic breaking, eating tar, swearing, hold your line etc etc was the order of the day. Made through unscathed along with all my Pure Savage mates.

Epic next week.

Looking at the Racetec results. I see I am 8509 out of 25 903.

What happend to the other 10 000 entries they had for the race.

Pretty sure they have more results to process. The total has gone up this morning. My result is now: 3628/28454

Would be nice to see it over 30,000.

................The argus will never ever see me again.

Sorry to hear.

Sweeping, especially from the south peninsula is not easy. From Fish Hoek to Noordhoek, there are very few extraction routes and for long stretches there is no exit and the sweeper has to use the race route. That is near impossible while the busiest part of the race is happening. (See earlier post of a crash involving a sweeping vehicle.) So, prioritizing is at the order of the day.  Serious life threatening injuries get flown out by chopper. Less serious injuries by ambulance, bumps and scrapes in the sweeping bus. Broken bikes and so on last of all. (Most smaller races have sweepers only at the back of the race, after the last rider.)

Sorry you ended up at the bottom of the worst pile.

Sorry to hear.

Sweeping, especially from the south peninsula is not easy. From Fish Hoek to Noordhoek, there are very few extraction routes and for long stretches there is no exit and the sweeper has to use the race route. That is near impossible while the busiest part of the race is happening. (See earlier post of a crash involving a sweeping vehicle.) So, prioritizing is at the order of the day.  Serious life threatening injuries get flown out by chopper. Less serious injuries by ambulance, bumps and scrapes in the sweeping bus. Broken bikes and so on last of all. (Most smaller races have sweepers only at the back of the race, after the last rider.)

Sorry you ended up at the bottom of the worst pile.

Agreed, DJR

On supporting me to get back home, the sweeper system coordinator person checked whether I had any medical injuries.

I fortunately was unscathed.

And suggested to me that I catch a train back to the start. Or wait a few hours as I was clearly not a high-priority safety or emergency scenario.

I understood that as I was not bleeding or risking infection or had any seriaas fractures.

So, took a train for the firs time since I was a student.

Big ups to all the marshals, cleaning staff, refreshment staff, medics and all working behind the scenes to pull another successful tour out the bag.  :clap:  :clap:

Awesome day out, started 1G and manged 3:04. Congestion especially smits not too good. Some riders amazingly dont understand keep left, if you slower, especially in these groups.

Either way, quite happy. I must say, quite a few people had a stomach bug. I had one that cleared 6 days before the argus. I lost 2-3kgs, and already being skinny, meant i probably lost muscle :(   Just glad I recovered in time to do the CTCT.

Oh, lots of people quite aggro and sour in the 1's... Group 2 was more fun :P

#justsaying

Poor planning. Ladies need a bigger gap to have a proper race and guys wanting to race should be able to do so in their respective licenced batches as usual. 

Managed to stay upright and out of trouble despite a couple of nervous movements. Absolutely perfect conditions yesterday. 

Looking at the Racetec results. I see I am 8509 out of 25 903.

What happend to the other 10 000 entries they had for the race.

time has shown that about 25% of the entrants don't pitch on race day.. Water points would struggle if for some reason every one arrived

Archived