Review: Darkhorse DH29 Carbon Mountain Bike Wheels

Matt

What is the internal width of the rims, or is the 27mm the internal width?

Also, the price on their site is R10 195?

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

so carbon 29er rims give you the feeling of being back on your 26er - you know lighter, stiffer........

k, bye, :)

And slower?

Something really bugs me here.

If you're not a sponsored pro, who in their right mind cashes in 11k on a snazzy wheel set just because it "feels stiffer"?

Don't tell me "because it's lighter and will make me faster", then you need to invest some time in actually learning to ride your bicycle - especially technical riding - rather than (futilely) throwing money at your slow issues.

Something really bugs me here.

If you're not a sponsored pro, who in their right mind cashes in 11k on a snazzy wheel set just because it "feels stiffer"?

Don't tell me "because it's lighter and will make me faster", then you need to invest some time in actually learning to ride your bicycle - especially technical riding - rather than (futilely) throwing money at your slow issues.

Something tells me you haven't ridden a set of carbon wheels yet. 

I don't own a set, but I have ridden a set, and I can tell you that the difference is night and day. 

Yes, you can get better by investing in some technical skills courses and riding the bike more often, but the point of the matter is - IT'S NOT YOUR MONEY. 

It won't "make you faster" for definite, but it may lead to the bike taking on a set of handling characteristics that enable you to progress faster and with more purpose, due to the fact that your inputs are now that much sharper and more direct (again, the difference is HUGE)

Same can be said for "who in their right mind cashes in 20 / 30 / 40 / 100 / 200k for a bike that their skill level will never unlock!?" - who are YOU to decide what someone decides to spend their cash on, or say that it's a stupid purchase?

Methinks the "bugging" is really a case of jealousy, and not understanding how something so deceptively "small" can make such a big difference.

BTW - I'd much rather have my bike (50k) and a set of carbon rims from Light Bicycle or someone else, than a 70k bike with alu rims. 

Edited by Myles Mayhew

I don,t see the value of carbon rims on a full suspension bike .On a road bike i notice the difference ,but a proper alu rim is already stiff enough 

I don,t see the value of carbon rims on a full suspension bike .On a road bike i notice the difference ,but a proper alu rim is already stiff enough 

think of what you notice on the road bike - and then think how much more deflective forces are on an MTB trail. 

On a full suss it's arguably more effective as it removes an element of flexion, and therefore allows the bike to do what it's designed to do. Plus it allows a far faster / sharper input. 

Do you really notice a difference between an entry level wheel like Mavic Aksiums and a R12k set of Dark Horse carbon wheels? Understandably strangers wouldn't be keen to let me take their set for a spin and I don't have any close friends with sets to try and I'm not dropping that much on something that may not actually improve my experience.

Do you really notice a difference between an entry level wheel like Mavic Aksiums and a R12k set of Dark Horse carbon wheels? Understandably strangers wouldn't be keen to let me take their set for a spin and I don't have any close friends with sets to try and I'm not dropping that much on something that may not actually improve my experience.

YES YOU DO!!

Even an plonker like me noticed the difference between my American Classic alu rims and the AMC carbon rims I bought as racing whhels.

Can't test them on tyres as *** as the Saguaros.

I would rather have slightly heavier, but more robust wheels like the Saguaros, on my bike, than weight weeny tires like the Rocket Rons that is prone to sidewall cuts.

It's not lekker to have your ride scuppered and having to push your bike for 5km to get of a trail, with a Rocket Ron that is oozing slime out of the sidewall after hitting a rut in the middle of a bend.

Never had a problem like that with my Saguaros, and I've been down some rocky descents with sharp rocks a few times.

YES YOU DO!!

Even an plonker like me noticed the difference between my American Classic alu rims and the AMC carbon rims I bought as racing whhels.

I'm hardly a pro, I just happen to have a very nice bike that's likely being let down by its wheels, if they really make that big a difference.

Will nag a LBS and see if they're willing to give me a loaner set for a day or two.

What is the internal width of the rims, or is the 27mm the internal width?

Also, the price on their site is R10 195?

Internal width is 22m, and the price quoted in the review is the standard retail price. They're currently on special.

When you consider the fact that a 35mm set of carbon rims can result in a wheel-set as light as Crests, but with a point and shoot rigidity that is simply amazing, along with loads more traction, then you begin to see the point of carbon as a material.

Many people here obviously haven't spent time on carbon rims, as someone's already pointed out.

The comments here have taught me again, that:

• The Bikehubbers are all experts on everything
  • Nothing is good enough for average riders
  • They are smarter than manufacturers with more engineering experience