Cape Epic 2016 Group

Acerunner

What do you guys think - is there a good starting time / position or does it not matter at all?

Is the whole field seeded or only the top contenders?

I believe the congestion problem is throughout the whole day.

BTW we are starting 8:20

Only top contenders (men and women) are seeded. As a lot (half ?) of the teams are newbies you can not seed them.

Congestion problems will be in the  first part of the prologue, the infamous Stairway to Heaven. If you get stuck behind 3 teams (or you have 3 teams in your wheel) there is hardly space to pass, especially with both riders of the team. So if you can pass or let pass some of them before the switchbacks start, do so. After that part roads are wider and easier, on the downhill singletracks congestion is rare.

And don't forget, with the small starting batches of 50 teams you will be able to make up plenty of time in the 7 stages. You know the old adagium: "you can not win the race in the prologue, but you can lose it there".

We will start at 9:05.

Good luck to all of you!

• Replies 670
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

damn the time has gone by fast, just the other day we were in front of the PC's ready and hoping to get that entry at 15:00... now its only a week left to go (well okay technically less)

How is everyone feeling? Whats your plans for this last week?

Packing, Carbo-Loading, rest...

Edited by Dominik

If there is anyone who is driving down from PE, and has space for a bike, it would be greatly appreciated.

Wayne

damn the time has gone by fast, just the other day we were in front of the PC's ready and hoping to get that entry at 15:00... now its only a week left to go (well okay technically less)

Two sessions Tuesday and Wednesday, Leg rub Thursday, Friday get to Cape Town, Find nice spot and drink beer, light ride Saturday and registration. Customary pub lunch at VnA.

Start Sunday (in the heat)

I also cant believe it,

Trying to rest up , not stress to much and just generally stay out of harms way

Does anyone know how to use a Garmin Edge 500 within the rules and without using the speed and cadence sensor?

My partner can turn off the sharing aspect on his Suunto watch and apparently he is ok.

I haven't used the speed and cadence sensor for years as it used to be hard to keep it fixed in the right position, I'm hoping I have other options.

Does anyone know how to use a Garmin Edge 500 within the rules and without using the speed and cadence sensor?

My partner can turn off the sharing aspect on his Suunto watch and apparently he is ok.

I haven't used the speed and cadence sensor for years as it used to be hard to keep it fixed in the right position, I'm hoping I have other options.

Leave your 500 exactly as is. Just don't post your rides to strava and endomondo etc.

Just make your ride private on strava then they are happy.

In 2014, I got a polite  e mail from the organisers asking me to change my Strava uploads to private, which I did. It was coupled to a threat of excommunication from future Epics, but they did make it clear in the race rules, so it was fair enough.

If there is anyone who is driving down from PE, and has space for a bike, it would be greatly appreciated.

Wayne

Send me a PM, I should be able to help you out.

Sick....

Urgh just a cold but was keen to do a few easy rides. Will hopefully be better in time for the race though.

Sick....

Urgh just a cold but was keen to do a few easy rides. Will hopefully be better in time for the race though.

Damn? You sure its just a cold? I'm still without an entry so let me know when it gets serious [emoji14]

Mr lastminute.com will be on standby till then [emoji15]

Edited by Kowus

I think the main reason for not allowing it to Strava is because it will show the route, however if you change it to a stationary ride it will still upload the distance, HR & speed to your profile but will not show the map.