Cape Epic 2016 Group

Acerunner

I love how the dynamics change in these big races.

Stage 1: Everyone in your batch checks out your bike, the board (to see how many Epics you've done), kit, etc. to size you up and finish ahead of you and you naturally do the same (particularly if you are a newbie). By stage 3 you know the guys and girls very well and you know who's wheel to take. You no longer try to beat them to the finish but get some silent satisfaction if you move up a batch, just to see some familiar faces there too. By stage 6 it feels like you know the guys in your group for months. You feel for them when they have a bad day and you admire them if they beat the stuffing out of a stage. At the end of stage 7 you can share so many private jokes and refer to something that happened on a particular day with a few knowing nods and grins that the others simply will not get.

Enjoy it guys and girls. If its your first one, just relax. You'll be fine.

You have put it so perfectly.

• Replies 670
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Towel & sleeping kit in the bottom of bag, rolled, scrunched and compressed. Cool thing of-course; when the bag's packed in the morning, you're already at 75% MHR.

Crocs gotta be the best loo and shower shoes when it's wet and muddy? plus it's such a remorseless donation when surplus to requirement.

Thankfully I am starting well before the cameras start to rolll, at least if I take a fall or decide to get off an push it wont be on live TV

Don't worry we'll take pics.

Towel & sleeping kit in the bottom of bag, rolled, scrunched and compressed. Cool thing of-course; when the bag's packed in the morning, you're already at 75% MHR.

Crocs gotta be the best loo and shower shoes when it's wet and muddy? plus it's such a remorseless donation when surplus to requirement.

People allways goes on about crocs, but I personally think there is no more comfortable shoe/plakkie to wear after a long day on your feet, or in cycling shoes for what it is worth. My left foot got all buggered up in car accident, crocs are the only sandals/plakkies I can wear for a whole day.

Good luck to all who are riding..... I am not one of the lucky ones.

Was just looking and my not so straight shoulder and for a second wondered... Was it worth it, guess what the answer was..... HELL YEAH Anytime

Ride safe and take it easy the first few days, I saw loads of riders burn out towards the end.

Me too!

Time to go and finish packing - see you all in CT Saturday - safe travels everyone.

Good luck guys, I could feel the buzz on the bikes yesterday morning and over coffee.

Give it horns, stay healthy and be safe.

By the looks of things, you guys will have to prepare for a dry, dusty, gritty ACE.  The trails here are loose and sandy.  The backmarkers will do well to have something that will prevent them from inhaling all the dust, thereby developing chest infections by day 5 and 6.

Have a safe one.  I might pop in to have a look when you ride the Stellies routes.

F*&^$t boys the time is here, half day at office tomorrow to try and do next weeks work. Looking forward to a week of suffering and being in the hurtlocker!! Starting at 7 46 on sunday. Let the good times Roll!

Archived