We topped up your sealant, it was running low.

nox1111

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

By modern stds,.............shes all woman

Modern STDs? You saying Pammy needs to visit the clinic... what have you heard? TMZ needs to know. 

The way I check it is I unscrew the valve core, valve at 6 o clock, use an old spoke as a dipstick, if the whole thread of the spoke is wet, I'm good.

The hassle is, the latex in sealant reacts with air. Each time you pump more air in the tyre, more of the latex congeals and becomes useless. So, simply by deflating the tyre to check the sealant level will slightly degrade the sealant already there.

I prefer to let sleeping dogs lie when it comes to sealant. If the tyre needs regular air topups between rides then the sealant (or maybe the valve core) needs replacing. Otherwise - just leave it be.

• 2 weeks later...

My experience as bike shop owner and as the guy who books bikes in and does most of the calls to customers.

10% of bike owners have no idea if they have tubes or tubeless.

Most people running tubeless don't care which sealant is used.

Most people don't realise that sealant evaporates and needs to be topped up.

The people in this thread are much more knowledgeable than the average cyclist.

The pedantic ones give strict instructions and sometimes bring their own sealant.

Because most don't care if their sealant is topped up without instruction, it can be easy to fall into the trap of doing it for everyone.

You need to have a good understanding with the customer on what to go ahead with because customers don't answer their cels at work as often as you might think. When a bike is on the stand and it's wheels are off it will hold up a busy workshop if we have to wait for go ahead on small things. It all boils down to building a good relationship with clients.

I prefer a work shop that asks lots of questions when the bike comes in.

- I see on our system your fork and shock was serviced on 24 August, how many hours do you recon you've done since then?

- Have you noticed anything in particular that needs attention?

- Do you want us to check brake pads, stans, BB bearings, pivots, headset bearings, etc.

- Your bike will be on the stand at around 2pm today. Can we call you if we find anything that needs replacement or should we just go ahead and do the work as required.

Getting as much info upfront as you can and filling out a detailed job card in triplicate (owner's copy, work shop copy and copy for administration to invoice you on) may save a lot of time and hassle.

I prefer a work shop that asks lots of questions when the bike comes in.

- I see on our system your fork and shock was serviced on 24 August, how many hours do you recon you've done since then?

- Have you noticed anything in particular that needs attention?

- Do you want us to check brake pads, stans, BB bearings, pivots, headset bearings, etc.

- Your bike will be on the stand at around 2pm today. Can we call you if we find anything that needs replacement or should we just go ahead and do the work as required.

Getting as much info upfront as you can and filling out a detailed job card in triplicate (owner's copy, work shop copy and copy for administration to invoice you on) may save a lot of time and hassle.

I do all of that info gathering and paperwork but working on bikes can be very unpredictable. You never know when you are going to get a problem bike - like the Scott yesterday with a very different Ritchey headset top bearing therefore difficult to source and replace. Some days all you get are problem bikes. So predicting when you will get to work on a particular bike is near impossible.

Working on cars would be much easier knowing what you are going to find inside most of the time and having the right parts in stock for a particular vehicle.

Hey, if Bruce Jenner can get boobs, so can I. :thumbup:

Besides which, you did suggest that we enter the Mixed category at Epic next year.  :oops:

Did a walk in at the Helderberg Cycles tent at the W2W ride to get a Stans top up for my rear wheel ...... walked out R40.00 poorer, but a very happy rider!

I was expecting a fleecing, but these guys pricing was really very good and a real "can do" and positive attitude.

Did a walk in at the Helderberg Cycles tent at the W2W ride to get a Stans top up for my rear wheel ...... walked out R40.00 poorer, but a very happy rider!

I was expecting a fleecing, but these guys pricing was really very good and a real "can do" and positive attitude.

That's definitely a really good deal at a busy event. 

I never get shafted. I never take my bike to a bike shop. Take the shock or fork to an expert, do the rest myself and I use Slime Pro in my types, lasts longer, works better cleans out easier.

Hey, if Bruce Jenner can get boobs, so can I. :thumbup:

Besides which, you did suggest that we enter the Mixed category at Epic next year.  :oops:

Tjop - that was the Buffalo category.... I need you for that... :)

Archived