The I-Team

tombeej

Yebo, half the battle on Sunday will be won if you come with the right attitude.

I proved this to myself this year when I arrived at a race not really wanting to be there, so decided that this will just be a hard training ride. Well, I couldn't hold onto the wheels, my legs were burning in the first 30km and the pace seemed way too hard. I limped home about 10 min behind my original target time.

A month later I was racing against the same people and because it was a race I'd been looking forward to the whole year as one of my big goals, I was so up for it - I couldn't wait to get going and do some real 'suffering'. That day I was leading those same people over the climbs into the final 30km of the race and finished strong.

I'm not sure how many people have read up on Noakes' central-governor theory, but I am definitely someone who believes it exists.

Here's a good article, well worth the read: Fatigue: Mind over muscle.

So the message is: in the corniest Yankee tradition, come to the race on Sunday ready to kick a$$. Come ready to suffer, look forward to the mental battle in the last 24km. If you come with the right attitude, you should expect to get a much better time.

Interesting article.....ta muchly. :thumbup:

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I like how there's a lot of "guys" being mentioned :ph34r: . There's a few girls as well you know..... 

Ok so the front will slow down and wait for the people that are slightly slower on the hills. What worries me more is the downhills. There are some seriously long downhills - there are 2 on Jan Smuts and then that horribly dangerous one in Bryanston. How would we tackle those? I never trusted my brakes 100% in previous 947s but since I'm riding disks now I should be a tad faster going down the hills. There will be loads of obstacles though

Can someone put a pic of the cable tie positioning on the helmet ... chances are i will get it wrong and look like captain Chop  :blush:

Did we ever conclude bmw1za's query?

One cable tie - vertical, +/-50-100mm long - on top of your helmet. Yellow tape/sticker on the end?

Or do I have to re-do mine........post-77414-0-53610300-1447055627_thumb.jpg

Did we ever conclude bmw1za's query?

One cable tie - vertical, +/-50-100mm long - on top of your helmet. Yellow tape/sticker on the end?

Or do I have to re-do mine........attachicon.gifcable tie.jpg

:w00t:  :lol:

How aerodynamic is that?

Any neck pain as a result maybe?  :P

I like how there's a lot of "guys" being mentioned :ph34r: . There's a few girls as well you know..... 

Ok so the front will slow down and wait for the people that are slightly slower on the hills. What worries me more is the downhills. There are some seriously long downhills - there are 2 on Jan Smuts and then that horribly dangerous one in Bryanston. How would we tackle those? I never trusted my brakes 100% in previous 947s but since I'm riding disks now I should be a tad faster going down the hills. There will be loads of obstacles though

Just for everyone's knowledge - the Bryanston downhill- is it Cowley? - has been completely retarred and is in absolutely perfect condition.

Rob

Edited by Rob K

I was thinking something along the lines of this. A cable tie (not as big as this one) straight out the back - horizontally - with the yellow tag on the end.

post-22004-0-07733900-1447057876_thumb.jpg

:w00t:  :lol:

How aerodynamic is that?

Any neck pain as a result maybe?  :P

I'm going for the tripped boundary layer effect, for the whole I-train....... :whistling:

Just for everyone's knowledge - the Bryanston downhill- is it Cowley? - has been completely retarred and is in absolutely perfect condition.

Rob

It's Homestead I think, has this been resurfaced? Definitely needed it.

Rob

Cumberland Avenue.

You will know when you are there, as there will more than likely be an ambulance treating some poor bloke on the floor. 

post-6252-0-38954100-1447058621_thumb.png

any tips on what to do this week regarding race preparation, training, nutrition etc.

No amount of training now, is going to benefit you by Sunday.

Rest up, eat properly, sleep lots.

Edit: Oh, and avoid anybody with the flu.  :nuke:

Edited by StevieL

No amount of training now, is going to benefit you by Sunday.

Rest up, eat properly, sleep lots.

Edit: Oh, and avoid anybody with the flu.  :nuke:

Stay hydrated

Guys...ladies...noted!

Good point about downhills - I'd blocked that from last year.

Tactics, ladies & gents?

any tips on what to do this week regarding race preparation, training, nutrition etc.

Bed early every night.