The I-Team

tombeej

Good point this. It makes me think of our phone call before the D2D (Slowing down using the wind, and others not trying to get the space) Maybe you should explain it here again for others.

If you're in the middle of the bunch, braking is unavoidable in the slipstream of others, you just feather your brakes as smoothly as possible without any grabbing. But when you're in the pace line or on a gentle downhill following people, don't brake but rather move out into the wind, sit up and open your chest to catch as much wind as possible and you'll be amazed how effective this is in slowing down.

If you're trying not to lose the wheel in front of you on a long gradual downhill and the person in front is pulling, it becomes a little dance of tucking behind them for the draft, then as you get to close you drift out into the wind to slow down. And then as they're starting to pull away again, drift back in behind and tuck into the draft. If you get it right you can go down a long hill like this without ever having to pedal and barely touch your brakes, while remaining safely in a pace line.

The only thing here is that others mustn’t think they can just fly up to close the gap you’ve supposedly opened in the line. You haven’t – you’ve just drifted slightly to the right to catch a bit of wind – and you’ll soon be drifting back in once you’ve scrubbed off a bit of speed.

That's the point i was referring to. Nothing more annoying than having some jumping jack constantly trying to "Close" the "Gap" while you are trying to use the wind to slow down.

As we are riding as a unit with laid out guideline I don't foresee this as a problem though, HOWEVER we might encounter some outsiders whom will try this. if this happens I will be very vocal |(with tact and manners obviously, we are hubbers after all and it will be Sunday not Friday :whistling: ) even if its happening to a rider a few spots up or down the pace line. I would ask that we all get together in this for the safety and cohesion of our group.

Edited by ScottC-M

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I finally worked out why we are the I Team...

Its short for the Injury Team...

Just look at the growing list of injuries in this group...

Hayley

Carpet

Myself...

I guess I was not feeling aero enough today so came off the MTB and removed some of that non-aero skin...haha

Luckily no real damage to me, and most importantly, I will still be there on Sunday.

Getting very exciting, hope there will be photos of the bunch in motion . Yellow stripe on top of helmets zipping past like a pixelated line

steyn city is definitely my Sore point , I will survive till there ... then I think jogging to the line with the bike on my neck should be quicker than cramping up (lol).

So for me just hoping we get to witkoppen at 2h00 apposed to 2h17 (nothing wrong with dreaming and hoping)

Also regarding the fast downhills, Jan smuts example: if the train stays nice and tight the momentum will pull everyone far up into the drags, making the climbs shorter and Easier : stay focused and as everyone keeps saying - Braking is bad

I'd like to join the iTeam. Only problem is that I'll be riding SS and might fall off rather soon. But I'll keep up as far as I can. If I can get anywhere close to 3h15 even, the I'll be able to join wifey on her first 947 for lap 2.

Edited by wernerhp

I'd like to join the iTeam. Only problem is that I'll be riding SS and might fall off rather soon. But I'll keep up as far as I can. If I can get anywhere close to 3h15 even, the I'll be able to join wifey on her first 947 for lap 2.

Added to the list  :thumbup:

might have missed it, but hub name tags for group i?

Why don't we all write our Handle/Hub name on our race number?

Yes we are all going to be easily identifiable with the cable tie etc but if we need to tell someone specific something then the name on race number will help, "Hey ScottC-M stop riding like an afrikaans BOX"

Yes we are all going to be easily identifiable with the cable tie etc but if we need to tell someone specific something then the name on race number will help, "Hey ScottC-M stop riding like an afrikaans BOX"

Good idea

Really, I resemble that remark. We must be twins!