Miway insurance claim goes one way

streetfighter

Where is your evidence for this matter-of-fact you're making? I own an S-Works carbon frame and i've sent it for repairs which have held perfectly.

Just read this thread.

There are many examples of people who have claimed on cracked frames from their insurance company. If you read these examples, you will see that not one insurance company insisted on a repair (except the topic of discussion). You will notice that every insurance company replaced the frame.

So, if one considers the context of this thread, it is pretty obvious that it is not common practise to repair.

Perhaps those people who are uninsured, may opt to repair rather than replace. This thread is about insurance and the insurance company's opting to repair.

• Replies 241
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As much as it is not common practice, they are still acting as per the terms and conditions of the insurance contract the OP entered into. (I think it might be hard to prove any future damages "directly" relates to the repairs. That would be a tough one....)

Just read this thread.

There are many examples of people who have claimed on cracked frames from their insurance company. If you read these examples, you will see that not one insurance company insisted on a repair (except the topic of discussion). You will notice that every insurance company replaced the frame.

So, if one considers the context of this thread, it is pretty obvious that it is not common practise to repair.

The plural of anecdote is not data.

The fact that a few people on the hub have had frames replaced, does not imply that it is the norm.

If his contract says that they are entitled to repair or replace. they are absolutely within their rights to repair it. I know it happens all the time.

Threads like this validates my choice to use a good broker for insurance. The pennies "saved" by doing your insurance over the phone equates to a huge loss on the OP's part.

One would not for certain know if the outcome would have been different if a broker was involved in the claim, but the likelihood is very good that it would have been in my experience.

Threads like this validates my choice to use a good broker for insurance. The pennies "saved" by doing your insurance over the phone equates to a huge loss on the OP's part.

One would not for certain know if the outcome would have been different if a broker was involved in the claim, but the likelihood is very good that it would have been in my experience.

And that's the common suggestion on all of the Insurance threads :clap:

Quick question to those of you advocating the repair option.

How do you value this frame if you decide to sell straight after the repair job in order to upgrade to a newer model?

Quick question to those of you advocating the repair option.

How do you value this frame if you decide to sell straight after the repair job in order to upgrade to a newer model?

I think it's important to differentiate between agreeing that an insurer is entitled to act as they say they will and that of advocating a repair over a replacement.

To answer your question, a repaired bike has more carbon, therefore a higher asking price :P

I think it's important to differentiate between agreeing that an insurer is entitled to act as they say they will and that of advocating a repair over a replacement.

To answer your question, a repaired bike has more carbon, therefore a higher asking price :P

Nice, I'll be sending all my old bikes in for extra carbon treatment pre resale then! :ph34r:  :devil:  :whistling:

South African logic at its best:. :)

1. Buy expensive bike

2. Buy best locks available

3. Pay car guard to hopefully keep an eye on everything.

4. Pay for most expensive insurance option. It is the best, ask the Hub. 

5. Do not read 99 pages of fine print until it is time to claim.

6. Pay broker to look after insurance.

7. Sleep with bike in bedroom, chained to leg

8. Leave kids in car, take bike with to the public toilet, business meeting, coffee shop etc.

The plural of anecdote is not data.

The fact that a few people on the hub have had frames replaced, does not imply that it is the norm.

If his contract says that they are entitled to repair or replace. they are absolutely within their rights to repair it. I know it happens all the time.

And if it was the norm, bicycle insurance would cost a whole lot more than it does.

Four working days has past and to date no replies from your claim representative (Miway team) was directly communicated to me, although I begged via e-mail for response. Is this Miway's business model and etiquette?

Is Streetfighter an existing client on your database or your professional assumption?

Nowhere in Miway's policy wording, does repairing of carbon frames appear under mimovables as cover and I asked to please explain and clarify matters, but nothing so far!

You (Miway team) are playing your assessors against each other; leaving your customers guessing, which in my opinion is a true reflection of scam artists.

Why does the superficial damage of 1000gram carbon frame as you put it, take an expert 14 to 18 days to repair? Is your carbon frame repairer not exactly sure how much carbon needed for the job?

You've (Miway team) has taken extreme measures to cripple a loyal customer and damaged our relationship. I've continued to cancel my other business with you ( Miway) for the lack of confidence present.

I'm currently searching for another saddle to compensate, to complete upcoming events and also searching for an established broker in the new year that takes matters to heart.

To Miway team pls respond

Four working days has past and to date no replies from your claim representative (Miway team) was directly communicated to me, although I begged via e-mail for response. Is this Miway's business model and etiquette?

As I said in a previous post on here, my vote when you look at new insurers is Momentum.

They continually followed up asking me for damage reports and quotes when I was hit on my road bike in August. Then when they had that information they came back to me within 2 hours saying they're writing the bike off, and I had the money in my account in less than the 48 hours they said that it would take.

While I was impressed with the service, you're always left wondering if it was a once off...

Anyway, on Monday this week I had a fall with the mountain bike, and they've been just as good. The woman I am dealing with has followed up daily asking about damage reports and quotes so they can sort me out. I actually reminded her yesterday that its 947 on Sunday and explained I told the bike shop to prioritize people who need services so they can get their bikes back in time as I have another bike I can ride so while I want this sorted it isn't urgent.

Well, this should be a good indicator for all potential (or current) clients of Miway about how claims are processed.  I think many will reconsider.

It's sad that a lightweight bike is now being repaired, when the consensus is that definitely (for the large part) a repair is not the way to go.   

But vote with your wallet, change insurers.  I know it doesn't solve the issue here, but South Africans need to realise that if we become active consumers, this sort of thing will be easier to deal with.  

Hi there @streetfighter,

Thanks for taking the time to express your views around the outcome of your recent claim.

First off, we need to assure you that your safety following any repair to your bicycle is of utmost importance to us and that we will never knowingly place you in a position that could result in you incurring future harm.

With this said, we reiterate that the decision to repair your frame took careful consideration and expert advice. The damage to your frame was deemed superficial and it was confirmed that a repair would not influence the quality of the frame in any way. Should our expert have experienced any doubt around the integrity of the frame post-repair, we would rather have opted to replace the frame upfront.

Your frame is currently with a reputable carbon frame repairer and although we understand your passion for the sport and your eagerness to get back in the saddle, we encourage patience as the repair process is delicate and can be time-consuming – especially when ensuring a proper outcome.

While you wait, perhaps take a minute to read this article published by www.bicycling.co.za about repairs on carbon frames.

Please don’t hesitate to give us a call if you have any further questions or concerns – we’d be happy to chat!

Kind regards,

The MiWay Team

Hi miway can you please confirm that his manufaturers warranty will remian in place and if not how do you address the situation.

After my accident on raceday 24-10-15 at the CWC Derby Dash I've reported may first ever claim via e-mail to Miway. ////

SF, what bike was it and do you have a picture of the damage, it would be good to see what it looked like?

SF, what bike was it and do you have a picture of the damage, it would be good to see what it looked like?

Thanks for the information - going to review MiWay insurance that I have, most probably going to stop it. Why pay for something that wont work.

Archived