New Zealand - The Good, The Bad and The Ugly.

Wayne Potgieter

Our little South African-French-Kiwi.

Layla is perfect and kept us waiting an additional 6 days. We could not have asked for a more perfect birth story either, one midwife and dad doing it all by themselves and the whole 13 hours of labour was a magic experience (have photos of us laughing etc right through the pushing phase even which luckily only lasted 25min.)

I have full confidence in the way New Zealand deals with the whole pregnancy and birth and even post natal care for mom and baby. We decided to come home the same day as her birth although we could have stayed at a 'nice' birthing unit absolute free.

Because we decided to come home there were midwifes that came to visit us for the 1st 4 days checking up on the baby but also answering any questions we had, what's amazing is we can phone the birthing unit 24/7 and they help us with what ever we need (we had to phone twice already as we didn't know why she didn't want to stop drinking on day 2/3 in the middle of the night).

We have a very peaceful baby though, every night since the start (accept for that one night) we have to wake her to feed.

Happy. Tired, but extremely happy.

Good job mom!!

• Replies 6.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Just in...

Permanent Residence Approved!!

Woohooo! Total processing time: 6 weeks without going through an agency.

Seems my cover letter requesting the PR fast-tracking worked!

I'm so stoked!

Congrats! From experience, it takes that little bit of pressure off you.

Congrats! From experience, it takes that little bit of pressure off you.

Thanks!

Totally reduces the pressure. 2 weekends ago when returning from Sydney, the immigration officer in Auckland looked a little concerned because my work visa expires in a 2 months.

• 2 weeks later...

KiwiSaver?!

So I signed up for KiwiSaver as soon as my PR came though (gotta grab that extra 6%, haha), but apart from seeing deduction on my most recent payslip I have very little idea of what goes on.

So I get that it's made up of [my contribution] + 3% employer contribution + 3% government contribution but beyond that I know pretty much nothing.

• What's the best type of fund for a someone in their early 30's (Balanced/Conservative/Defensive/Aggressive)?
  • Any tips or tricks I should know (besides withdrawal for first property and the grant)?
Edited by patches

Hey Patches,

YES get hold of HR and find out who administers the fund

THEN 

get in touch with an accredited financial advisor or your bank and have a session with them to talk about your life stage, your aspirations, your means and how to set and reach those aspirations.

AND

don't take financial advice from the open internet.

If you need a hand getting in touch with someone who can guide you, shoot me a message and I'll get someone to call you?

Dawie

KiwiSaver?!

So I signed up for KiwiSaver as soon as my PR came though (gotta grab that extra 6%, haha), but apart from seeing deduction on my most recent payslip I have very little idea of what goes on.

So I get that it's made up of [my contribution] + 3% employer contribution + 3% government contribution but beyond that I know pretty much nothing.

• What's the best type of fund for a someone in their early 30's (Balanced/Conservative/Defensive/Aggressive)?
  • Any tips or tricks I should know (besides withdrawal for first property and the grant)?

This thread should have a sub-thread called South Africa - The Good, The Bad and the Ugly.

I was relieved of my cell phone at gunpoint yesterday evening, in traffic, 50m from my office's entrance in Rosebank - corner Bolton/Oxford.

A month before we leave...  

This thread should have a sub-thread called South Africa - The Good, The Bad and the Ugly.

I was relieved of my cell phone at gunpoint yesterday evening, in traffic, 50m from my office's entrance in Rosebank - corner Bolton/Oxford.

A month before we leave...  

Sorry to hear. Sounds like it's becoming quite common in Gauteng these days! 

Sorry to hear. Sounds like it's becoming quite common in Gauteng these days! 

I don't think that happens in Gauteng only...

I don't think that happens in Gauteng only...

Smash and grabs, yes. But someone casually walking up to your car while you're stuck in traffic, flashing a gun, and then taking your cellphone (and watch and laptop out the boot, as per a mate), haven't heard of that anywhere other than in Sandton traffic. Could be wrong though, this is SA after all