New Zealand - The Good, The Bad and The Ugly.

Wayne Potgieter

• Replies 6.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So the time has come for me to join this thread.

I signed my employment offer this morning. If all goes well with the visa process, I'll be in Christchurch by mid Feb.

-_-  :( The day that I have to say good bye for good is going to be one sad day indeed!

This time I have been in Canada has been/are hard enough not being able to chat enough due to time difference etc and knowing that is how life is going to be after having the opposite for the last 3+years is not going to be lekker.

Relationships comes and goes (that we know pretty well).

Friendships comes and goes...

Meeting someone one feels comfortable to tell/share anything with, does not come around so often...especially for me. I am loosing that go-to person I had for basically my whole time I lived in JHB, but I am glad you are making a choice FOR YOU for the 1st time in your life!

And ja, like you know, I will be there (as in jump on a plane) when ever you need/want me to .... bike and all ^_^ You know I love NZ! :thumbup:

**** (shhh!!!tt)  - I probably will have to consider dating now again....because who will look after me/bring me food when I am sick again? :lol:  :P

Edited by hayleyearth

My daughter is visiting us from CT, she spent a fortnight on South Island in September and showed us her pics last night. Wow, so beautiful...no surprise of course but to listen to her describe what she saw was great.

As this thread has been such a feel good thread, wouldn't you perhaps consider sharing what your daughter described and her experience as related to you?

As this thread has been such a feel good thread, wouldn't you perhaps consider sharing what your daughter described and her experience as related to you?

That comes across as a little sharp...but anyway..she stayed on a small holding near Timaru and also spent a few days travelling further south to Milford Sound, where the scale and beauty of the landscape is wonderful. Everything appears well ordered and clean, and she found the people most welcoming. On top of all of that I had the joy of a long happy chat with my lovely daughter!

-_-  :( The day that I have to say good bye for good is going to be one sad day indeed!

This time I have been in Canada has been/are hard enough not being able to chat enough due to time difference etc and knowing that is how life is going to be after having the opposite for the last 3+years is not going to be lekker.

Relationships comes and goes (that we know pretty well).

Friendships comes and goes...

Meeting someone one feels comfortable to tell/share anything with, does not come around so often...especially for me. I am loosing that go-to person I had for basically my whole time I lived in JHB, but I am glad you are making a choice FOR YOU for the 1st time in your life!

And ja, like you know, I will be there (as in jump on a plane) when ever you need/want me to .... bike and all ^_^ You know I love NZ! :thumbup:

**** (shhh!!!tt)  - I probably will have to consider dating now again....because who will look after me/bring me food when I am sick again? :lol:  :P

Very appropriately in the words of 2 New Zealanders...

:lol:

That comes across as a little sharp...but anyway..she stayed on a small holding near Timaru and also spent a few days travelling further south to Milford Sound, where the scale and beauty of the landscape is wonderful. Everything appears well ordered and clean, and she found the people most welcoming. On top of all of that I had the joy of a long happy chat with my lovely daughter!

Milford Sound is definitely on my list of places to visit.

It's about a 9.5hr drive from where I'll be, but Queenstown is on the way, so I'll split up the trip.

Milford Sound

http://media.royalcaribbean.com/content/shared_assets/images/ports/hero/MFN_01.jpg

http://www.peterpans.com.au/sites/www.peterpans.com.au/files/imagecache/catimagetop/category_pictures/_a_magical_day_in_milford.jpg

http://www.southerndiscoveries.co.nz/wp-content/themes/southerndiscoveries/images/home-images/home-cruise-kayak.jpg

Patch I know you generally a positive guy haven't seen you post much negatives,

What was the deciding factor in leaning SA

Knowing patches, it'd most probably be bike parks with uplifts... :whistling:  :clap:

8 weeks and counting assuming all goes well with my visa application.

Knowing patches, it'd most probably be bike parks with uplifts... :whistling: :clap:

Yup! The spruit just isn't cutting it anymore.

:lol:

But yeah, a few contributing factors.

Economic and political stability. Safer environment. Qualify of life. All the usual type things.

Plus I'm at a crossroads in my life, with multiple options. So I cast a line down each road. Stay in SA and buy/build a house. Learn German and further my education there. Or apply for a job within my current company, but in NZ.

House hunting was hard work, but a few prospects.

I applied to a few German universities, but they didn't have space, so I did my German A1.1 course and was keen to continue and try again next year.

I uploaded my CV to our company's intranet, and applied for a couple of vacancies. (This was the area I put the least effort into.)

A day after my CV got to our office in Aus, I was contacted and the interviewing process started. They made a decent offer last week. So yeah, I took that as a sign to my indecisive crossroads dilemma.

I'll miss SA. So much awesomeness here. Particularly the people. That will be the thing I'll miss most. Friends and family.

But this is a good opportunity, so I'll embrace it while I'm still relatively young

Edited by patches