New Zealand - The Good, The Bad and The Ugly.

Wayne Potgieter

Sad sad news, thoughts are with those of you living in NZ.

My parents are doing a 5 week trip through NZ, I went cold when I saw the headlines this morning. (Luckily) they're supposed to drive to Christchurch tomorrow. 

As they said just now, its the happiest most amazing country, the locals are just devastated. 

tragic. And I was hoping that Christchurch would be the centre of the universe because GODzone Adventure Race is wrapping up there this weekend.

She's a really good leader, can't see that coming from a lot of nationalist leaning presidents these days.

• Replies 6.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

tragic. And I was hoping that Christchurch would be the centre of the universe because GODzone Adventure Race is wrapping up there this weekend.

She's a really good leader, can't see that coming from a lot of nationalist leaning presidents these days.

She is great. Its so refreshing to hear such comments about migrants

4 shooters, 3 men and a women walked into 2 mosques at the afternoon prayer and killed as many people as they could.

One of them walked out and then came back to kill survivors.

NZ Police did an amazing job at rounding them up within hours, but the damage is done.

The Muslim community here is very small and close, and we have some very traumatized people who lost friends and family today.

update since Dawie’s post above.

Seems at this stage only one perpetrator. The other two and the woman are not directly involved. They were armed bystanders. Although this is still developing.

Death toll now at 49. To put this in perspective the average murder rate for the whole country is around 50 a year.

The terrorise has been caught and will appear in court tomorrow.

Sad sad times.

People here are gutted.

I was in the cbd as the bomb scare went off and we had to catch an Uber our as we could not get to the train. The whole country is on high alert.

This is the worst ugly that NZ has ever suffered.

As you may know, I once lived in Christchurch. I made the solo move to the little city 3yrs ago (yesterday).

I loved the city, and felt EXTREMELY safe during my 15 months there. Hagley Park (across the road from the Deans Avenue Mosque) was one of my favourite parts of the CBD.

It just so happened that I had flights booked to fly down Friday after work, so go do a bit of dirt biking (my bike still lives there).

1hr before I left work the reports started coming in, and the events unfolded. It was shocking, tragic, terrifying, and angering all at once.

I decided to fly down anyway, and I am glad I did. Christchurch Airport was busier than usual. People all shocked, but openly talking about the horrific incident. Naturally there was a heightened security, including bomb detection dogs.

I spent most of my time out in the bush, with only a brief commute through the city to get to a certain trail. The city was somber. Less people than usual, but still those going about their day, with a veil of sobriety hanging over them.

No one ever thought this sort of thing would happen in Christchurch, or even NZ as a whole.

As the Prime Minister said with great conviction "this is not who we are".

There are a number of theories circulating around why his happened, from suggestions that it's linked to Christchurch's claimed racist undertones, to the fact that New Zealand is considered very welcoming of immigrants wanting to start a new life.

We don't understand what goes through such a twisted and hateful person's heart in order to do something so abominable, and I don't think we ever will understand... because we are not like that... this is not who we are.

My thoughts go out to all those affected directly and indirectly by the tragic events.

I have hope that as dark as these times are, the people of New Zealand (wherever they may come from), will band together and stand strong.

I see the vile piece of excrement is choosing to represent himself in court.

On a slightly seperate note, how amazing is Egg Boy...what a champ.

I know right! As if Anning's initial distasteful social media posts were not bad enough to kill his political career, now add punching a minor to that. What a tjop!

I see the petition to have Fraser Anning removed has reached 1 million signatures in just 2 days.

Good on that youngster!

I know right! As if Anning's initial distasteful social media posts were not bad enough to kill his political career, now add punching a minor to that. What a tjop!

I see the petition to have Fraser Anning removed has reached 1 million signatures in just 2 days.

Good on that youngster!

I seem to remember from reading about it this morning that he described what happened after the egging as, "Being attacked by 30 bogans." 

I don't agree with Fraser Anning's views. And I also don't agree with attacking him with eggs or anything else other than words.

remember the Stephen Joyce incident?

remember the Stephen Joyce incident?

Yes. That too wasn't funny. Today it's an egg or a dildo, tomorrow maybe a half brick. The net result of antics like that is our politicians (like James Shaw who got punched earlier last week) aren't going to be people just like the rest of us, they will be pushed into bubbles and become inaccessible.

I like being able to walk up to Winston Peters or John Banks or Micheal Cullen or Simon Bridges and saying 'howsit bru how's things'. Wouldn't want that to change.

Dunno if this is a bad, but is there any coverage of the Epic?

Looking for those 30m reviews...

Sent from my Nokia 7 plus using Tapatalk

Did you see the Cartoon in NZ Herald on Monday? 

I agree with it completely. The hate we spew on social media does have consequences.

attachicon.gifNZHerald Cartoon 18 March 2019.jpg

Social media is not social, it is antisocial. It makes people see others very one-dimensionally, it is all about ego and showing off and who shouts loudest. Best solution? Delete facebook, twitter, instagram and don't look back. I realised some time ago that you could do almost anything other than being on Facebook and it would be better for you.

Social media is not social, it is antisocial. It makes people see others very one-dimensionally, it is all about ego and showing off and who shouts loudest. Best solution? Delete facebook, twitter, instagram and don't look back. I realised some time ago that you could do almost anything other than being on Facebook and it would be better for you.

I joined Facebook in about 2006-ish for about 2 weeks because my brother was moving overseas. Even then it irritated the crap out of me, so that have barely used it since other than if I was looking for someone, which was once or twice. Cannot be arsed with any of the rest. My SO works in the digital field so has to use it as part of her 'portfolio-branding-thingamajiggery' and she ends up on the butt-end of the cretins on-line every so often.

Overt stupidity and ignorance wrapped up in toxic over-confidence may work as POTUS but it sucks in the real world.