New Zealand - The Good, The Bad and The Ugly.

Wayne Potgieter

Yes I am....

sadly a lot of folks in sa are trying to find employment here.

Most employers are more interested in candidates that are physically in the country. It's a bit of a catch 22. You need a job for a visa. You need a visa to search for a job.

• Replies 6.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

sadly a lot of folks in sa are trying to find employment here.

Most employers are more interested in candidates that are physically in the country. It's a bit of a catch 22. You need a job for a visa. You need a visa to search for a job.

Exactly this... I can plan a trip to NZ to confirm my intention to relocate, but at the same time, I need interviews lined up, otherwise it will be a wasted trip...

Exactly this... I can plan a trip to NZ to confirm my intention to relocate, but at the same time, I need interviews lined up, otherwise it will be a wasted trip...

Do the trip. People will see you (when I did the trip way back in 2011 I had two interviews lined up, ended up doing around 8 because plenty of folk were 'oh, you're here? Pop round for a coffee'). They will also believe you are serious because you have done the trip. Tons of folk 'fishing' which is a waste of time for prospective employers...

Do the trip. People will see you (when I did the trip way back in 2011 I had two interviews lined up, ended up doing around 8 because plenty of folk were 'oh, you're here? Pop round for a coffee'). They will also believe you are serious because you have done the trip. Tons of folk 'fishing' which is a waste of time for prospective employers...

this is so true.

Anybody in the Architectural - Interiors line of work I can have a chat to in order to get a feel for the industry over there?

Fire away. I was a PM there.

The weather in NZ is hugely variable - the west coast of the SI, for example, and indeed most of the area south of Christchurch, isn't really habitable by civilized people. But yeh, generally, most of it is better than you would have expected (but nowhere near Jhb weather)...

Yeah, I have been to the west coast a few times. Only once was there no rain. there are areas where the average annual rainfall is 10x that of Auckland.

Christchurch is actually pretty good. Comes in at about 600mm per year. Considerably less than Auckland and Wellington.

Anybody in the Architectural - Interiors line of work I can have a chat to in order to get a feel for the industry over there?

in our industry we are frenemies with architects... if that counts.

But yeah, I deal with a number of the bigger firms on a daily basis, so yeah, drop a PM with any questions you may have.

I have a B-Tech - Mechanical Engineering (been working in Oil and Gas, as a Project Manager)

We're in need of more mech engineers. The company is a global multidisciplinary consulting firm. Accredited employer so if successful you can bypass the whole skills and points list thing.

Unfortunately our resources division for the region is based in Aus. The NZ divisions are Building Services (Mech, Elec, Fire, Lighting, Acoustics), Transport, and Power Generation (Hydroelectric).

If you are interested in a building services Mech/project management role, drop me a message and we can discuss further.

Edited by patches

Yeah, I have been to the west coast a few times. Only once was there no rain. there are areas where the average annual rainfall is 10x that of Auckland.

Christchurch is actually pretty good. Comes in at about 600mm per year. Considerably less than Auckland and Wellington.

At 600 that is roughly the rainfall of JHB. Though we all know which one has better weather ;-)

At 600 that is roughly the rainfall of JHB. Though we all know which one has better weather ;-)

haha, I know you're expecting me to say JHB...

but...

1. That 600mm is spread evenly though the year. No torrential summer showers ruining one's afternoon ride/braai.
  2. It's not 'weather' as such, but the daylight hours in summer on the South Island are awesome! this recent summer I would work until 5pm. Pop out on the dirt bike after to hit the local trails (over 100km worth within 10min ride from home). then make it home at about 9pm before dark. Winter is depressing though.
  3. I actually like the cold. I'm a born and bred South African, but my thermostat operates on polar scales. I rode my bicycle to work the other day in shorts and a t-shirt. it was 4deg. Anything over 25deg and I melt. hahaha.

but yeah the cold rainy stuff can get one down!

haha, I know you're expecting me to say JHB...

but...

1. That 600mm is spread evenly though the year. No torrential summer showers ruining one's afternoon ride/braai.
  2. It's not 'weather' as such, but the daylight hours in summer on the South Island are awesome! this recent summer I would work until 5pm. Pop out on the dirt bike after to hit the local trails (over 100km worth within 10min ride from home). then make it home at about 9pm before dark. Winter is depressing though.
  3. I actually like the cold. I'm a born and bred South African, but my thermostat operates on polar scales. I rode my bicycle to work the other day in shorts and a t-shirt. it was 4deg. Anything over 25deg and I melt. hahaha.

but yeah the cold rainy stuff can get one down!

Jeepers dude anything below 15 degrees and I go into hibernation!

Off to Wanaka and Queenstown this weekend, in celebration for Queen Lizzie's birthday.

Rented this place out. $250pn... not bad!

Tough life here in the South, haha!

Awesome. I'm building a deck to celebrate good queen Liz.

Awesome. I'm building a deck to celebrate good queen Liz.

Nice one!

I hope you pronounce 'deck' the way the locals do!