New Zealand - The Good, The Bad and The Ugly.

Wayne Potgieter

Nice one!

I hope you pronounce 'deck' the way the locals do!

Haha I am a local, got the passport to prove it. And apparently, I'm a bit of a deck myself, so-

• Replies 6.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So, when I was in NZ, visiting all the touristy hot springs, thermal spas, boiling mud pools,  I thought, hell, this is a pretty country, and nicely run and all that.  But it's floating around on a puddle of pressurized lava waiting to go BOOM!

Does this cross folks minds?  Are houses built with earth quakes in mind?

Absolutely buildings are built with earthquakes in mind - http://www.seismicresilience.org.nz/topics/resilient-design/codified-seismic-design/the-building-code/

There are also rules for after an earthquake event for things that building owners must check.

Auckland is built on an actual volcanic field, with the last volcano (Rangitoto Island) popping up only 550 years ago. http://www.aucklandcouncil.govt.nz/EN/environmentwaste/naturalhazardsemergencies/hazards/Pages/volcanichazards.aspx

Tsunamis are also a threat.

But we have no snakes, and the largest predator is a possum :whistling:

So, when I was in NZ, visiting all the touristy hot springs, thermal spas, boiling mud pools,  I thought, hell, this is a pretty country, and nicely run and all that.  But it's floating around on a puddle of pressurized lava waiting to go BOOM!

Place wobbles around all the time. Had a wee shake last week again - weirdest feeling ever, knowing that EVERYTHING is shaking. Gives you an appreciation of how much energy is being released...

Its a very valid question.

One we considered before moving.

Being a numbers sort of guy, i turned to statistics and facts and this is what i found.

Last year, there were 32,828 earthquakes in New Zealand.

In total there have been 458 deaths in 150 years due to earthquakes. This is an average of 3 deaths per year.

South Africa has a murder average of approx 50 deaths per day (i cannot find an actual source as it seems shrouded in mystery)

So statistically speaking i have a much higher probability of being murdered by staying then an earthquake.

Not sure if this logic would work for everyone, but it worked for me.

Sheesh how was this weekends weather...won't say it is winter, was out with short sleeves on all 3 days having adventures and doing what I love of course!

Almost missed the last ferry back from Rongitoto yesterday, we went to Motutapu too even though it was actually closed due to landslides; I was with an Irish lad and they don't care about breaking rules it seems...haha ... and he is very fit (won the half IM here in Auckland a few weeks back and a 2:35ish marathon runner) so summiting Rongitoto wasn't nearly enough for him (even after a morning swim session).  :unsure: Hanging out with people like this just makes one realize how little affect the weather in Auckland/NZ really has on an active lifestyle, he is out and about everyday, most days twice a day and it is really embarrassing / humiliating how unfit I am in comparison..... and it is all excuses driven I would say! :blush:

Just random pictures from my weekend (mostly from Rongitoto and Motutapo):

post-24697-0-15677400-1496697538_thumb.jpg

post-24697-0-91546700-1496697761_thumb.jpg

post-24697-0-00403400-1496697920_thumb.jpg

post-24697-0-54750100-1496697980_thumb.jpg

post-24697-0-42961800-1496698011_thumb.jpg

post-24697-0-08873300-1496698050_thumb.jpg

post-24697-0-28101800-1496698083_thumb.jpg

post-24697-0-09467200-1496698121_thumb.jpg

post-10758-0-41114100-1496705733_thumb.jpg

post-10758-0-96911400-1496705787_thumb.jpg

Overlooking Lake Wanaka. Was a bit overcast.

post-10758-0-03866900-1496705807_thumb.jpg"

Queenstown, heading up Skyline.

post-10758-0-94449900-1496705859_thumb.jpg

Bungeee!

post-10758-0-87239500-1496705888_thumb.jpg

The Luge was super fun. Should have worn gloves though.

post-10758-0-70680100-1496705942_thumb.jpg

Blue Pools, Mt Aspiring National Park. Some guy jumped off that bridge while we ere there. The air temp was about 2deg, so he must have been absolutely freezing when he hit the water.

post-10758-0-89445600-1496706031_thumb.jpg

More of the Blue Pools.

post-10758-0-55435900-1496706068_thumb.jpg

Lake Pukaki, looking out at Mt Cook.

In general... a great weekend had by all!

Its a very valid question.

One we considered before moving.

Being a numbers sort of guy, i turned to statistics and facts and this is what i found.

Last year, there were 32,828 earthquakes in New Zealand.

In total there have been 458 deaths in 150 years due to earthquakes. This is an average of 3 deaths per year.

South Africa has a murder average of approx 50 deaths per day (i cannot find an actual source as it seems shrouded in mystery)

So statistically speaking i have a much higher probability of being murdered by staying then an earthquake.

Not sure if this logic would work for everyone, but it worked for me.

Yeh - it's all about probabilities.  

But you know Murphy's Law - hey I brought my kids out here for a better life, damn shame they got squashed when the roof fell in.

I need to get on with it. Sigh. Why does Africa need to be the way it is?

Anyone here keen for an epic road ride? Okay okay you can do it on a MTB too, it will just have to be pedaled at at least 24km/h... It will be around Auckland.....literally (I might be changing the route a bit to not cut into Auckland so much when heading onto the NW- Cycleway) ...Clockwise direction in mind and it includes a ferry ride.

Anyone that wants to join for maybe a part of it too is welcome...It will probably happen one weekend in July...(add the 2 below together, Strava doesn't want to use the ferry!)

post-24697-0-89132000-1497301909_thumb.jpg

post-24697-0-88747800-1497301935_thumb.jpg

Anyone here keen for an epic road ride? Okay okay you can do it on a MTB too, it will just have to be pedaled at at least 24km/h... It will be around Auckland.....literally (I might be changing the route a bit to not cut into Auckland so much when heading onto the NW- Cycleway) ...Clockwise direction in mind and it includes a ferry ride.

Anyone that wants to join for maybe a part of it too is welcome...It will probably happen one weekend in July...(add the 2 below together, Strava doesn't want to use the ferry!)

attachicon.gifH2Dev_long.jpg

attachicon.gifWharf2H.jpg

Would have been great if I was anywhere near fit enough:

Last proper ride was back in SA @ Clarens Ashburton.

Let us know when you have something shorter planned.

On a side not, does anyone here has a recommendation for a jump coach? My skills are fairly OK, but I cannot jump to save my life......

Might be time to update your list again Wayne?

I'm on the North Shore, E1A104 is down Wellington way...

Would have been great if I was anywhere near fit enough:

Last proper ride was back in SA @ Clarens Ashburton.

Let us know when you have something shorter planned.

On a side not, does anyone here has a recommendation for a jump coach? My skills are fairly OK, but I cannot jump to save my life......

Where do you live? Do you have a road bike?

I often (basically every weekend) do rides all around :) and because I am lazy too, most these days are +-70km.

Some of my next ones include a few over night ones though, like to Puhoi pub one day, next day back, To piha and a bit around there and then one day trip to the Coromandal and ferry back.

A friend and I want to do a North Island roadie (so north to Wellington over a few days) as soon as we can find the time (sadly only looking to be end of Jan only due to leave restrictions and other commitments). BEST way to see the country for sure I would say.

Where do you live? Do you have a road bike?

I often (basically every weekend) do rides all around :) and because I am lazy too, most these days are +-70km.

Some of my next ones include a few over night ones though, like to Puhoi pub one day, next day back, To piha and a bit around there and then one day trip to the Coromandal and ferry back.

A friend and I want to do a North Island roadie (so north to Wellington over a few days) as soon as we can find the time (sadly only looking to be end of Jan only due to leave restrictions and other commitments). BEST way to see the country for sure I would say.

No Road bike, unfortunately! I live on the north shore towards Silverdale (Whangaparaoa to be more exact)