New Zealand - The Good, The Bad and The Ugly.

Wayne Potgieter

<INTJ>

Folk are defensive.  More reasons than normal to be defensive about staying in SA just at the moment.  

Swings and roundabouts - when things are sunny in SA it's the expats that tend to be on the defensive side.

</INTJ>

But that is not what this thread is about. It's a great thread, lets not drag it down.

Edited by davetapson

• Replies 6.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Reckon it may be time to move this thread to an NZ forum... Alas, this is probably one of the best around, so not many options...

We have been in Nz for just over 2 years, and the experience has been a great learning journey.

We love it here, and haven't for a moment considered leaving this amazing, gorgeous, surprising, place (see all other glowing reports, they are all true in the main).

That said, there is a barely discussed element that we tend to gloss over because it is a raw nerve, and that is a certain sense of existential threat (even now), that failure would be catastrophic.

Conversations that, back in SA, would be easily dismissed, surface much stronger emotions when you have thrown everything into a significant move like this.

Imagine the scene where, in passing, the boss says something like:"team, if we don't get this sorted we may not be around to sort it...". Pretty common management scaremongering normally, absolutely terrifying when you have uprooted your entire existence to move halfway around the planet.

So, once you manage to get that constant feeling of living on the ragged edge managed to just below hysteria, and you can focus yourself to react half-rationally, THEN you can start to savour the amazing opportunities offered to smart and hardworking folks who get **** done.

This is an amazingly privileged and developed place, where people are welcoming and friendly, and yet are just people after all.

Beautiful scenery, amazing sporting opportunities on the water and in the bush, great coffee and restaurants.

Maddeningly narrow and winding roads, albeit mostly beautifully maintained by your tax.

I meet many fellow-Saffers here, and most often I find that we fall broadly into 2 categories: the first are those who are here running hard at it and opening opportunities, the others are those who spend life whining about how tough it is back home.

My family and I, like most of those who have posted on this thread, have chosen to have a good go and make a life here. The girls, being my wife and daughter, are loving every minute of it, while I love almost every minute, except for the odd ones that are the cold-sweat inducing terror minutes.

Once we progress from residents to citizens, I hope those will disappear. On the other hand I wonder if those aren't just the normal fears of being a parent trying to make a future for your family.

Peace everyone, and greetings to those back in SA.

Dawie

Edited by DawieO

123goat appears to be suffering from Failed Expat Syndrome. 

Expect a strongly worded private message in 3; 2; 1...  :whistling:

Reckon it may be time to move this thread to an NZ forum... Alas, this is probably one of the best around, so not many options...

We have been in Nz for just over 2 years, and the experience has been a great learning journey.

We love it here, and haven't for a moment considered leaving this amazing, gorgeous, surprising, place (see all other glowing reports, they are all true in the main).

That said, there is a barely discussed element that we tend to gloss over because it is a raw nerve, and that is a certain sense of existential threat (even now), that failure would be catastrophic.

Conversations that, back in SA, would be easily dismissed, surface much stronger emotions when you have thrown everything into a significant move like this.

Imagine the scene where, in passing, the boss says something like:"team, if we don't get this sorted we may not be around to sort it...". Pretty common management scaremongering normally, absolutely terrifying when you have uprooted your entire existence to move halfway around the planet.

So, once you manage to get that constant feeling of living on the ragged edge managed to just below hysteria, and you can focus yourself to react half-rationally, THEN you can start to savour the amazing opportunities offered to smart and hardworking folks who get **** done.

This is an amazingly privileged and developed place, where people are welcoming and friendly, and yet are just people after all.

Beautiful scenery, amazing sporting opportunities on the water and in the bush, great coffee and restaurants.

Maddeningly narrow and winding roads, albeit mostly beautifully maintained by your tax.

I meet many fellow-Saffers here, and most often I find that we fall broadly into 2 categories: the first are those who are here running hard at it and opening opportunities, the others are those who spend life whining about how tough it is back home.

My family and I, like most of those who have posted on this thread, have chosen to have a good go and make a life here. The girls, being my wife and daughter, are loving every minute of it, while I love almost every minute, except for the odd ones that are the cold-sweat inducing terror minutes.

Once we progress from residents to citizens, I hope those will disappear. On the other hand I wonder if those aren't just the normal fears of being a parent trying to make a future for your family.

Peace everyone, and greetings to those back in SA.

Dawie

well said.

123goat appears to be suffering from Failed Expat Syndrome.

Not at all. I'm fortunate enough to be able too come and go as I please. I choosE to be in S.A.

The thread is being derailed. Farewell.

Not at all. I'm fortunate enough to be able too come and go as I please. I choosE to be in S.A.

The thread is being derailed. Farewell.

giphy.gif

.................Do I think about moving back? Never.......................

..................................................................................................

Ditto from my side Hayley and whilst I try and avoid the word never in this case I wont and more so use it emphatically!

There are challenges no matter which path one takes. The challenge of leaving friends and family to move to the other side of the world. The challenge of trying to keep positive amidst a failing economy largely instigated by a self-serving corrupt few. The challenge of foregoing many comforts that one is used to, and down scaling one's lifestyle considerably. The challenge of keeping one's family safe. The challenge of stomaching R70 for 1 measly avocado.

Nowhere is perfect. Nowhere has it all figured out. This thread voices the experiences of those that traded in their old challenges for some new ones. Some have traded back again. No one is right or wrong in their choices because they are theirs.

Keep on keeping on, wherever you are, or wherever you want to be!

I'm approaching that 15-18 month slump and I have decided to leave...

Christchurch  :ph34r: 

Whilst I love it down on the South Island, I have been making many work trips to Auckland and with my involvement in our largest South Island project slowly phasing out, I am better utilized in the 'big' city. So as of next month I'll be Auckland based, with a second apartment still in Christchurch.

I'm approaching that 15-18 month slump and I have decided to leave...

Christchurch  :ph34r: 

Whilst I love it down on the South Island, I have been making many work trips to Auckland and with my involvement in our largest South Island project slowly phasing out, I am better utilized in the 'big' city. So as of next month I'll be Auckland based, with a second apartment still in Christchurch.

Howdy Neighbour

Howdy Neighbour

Howdy!

From what I understand most of the Auckland dwellers here stay up on the shore?!

I'll be in the CBD (near the viaduct)

Howdy!

From what I understand most of the Auckland dwellers here stay up on the shore?!

Correct, hence why most of the rugby against SA opposition is played at North Harbour stadium

Howdy!

Correct, hence why most of the rugby against SA opposition is played at North Harbour stadium

That's why Wayne and I added our part to at least bring the average down for hubbers - Nick adds even more to this with his location even more south (east) in Auckland! :)