New Zealand - The Good, The Bad and The Ugly.

Wayne Potgieter

Crankworx Rotorua!

Looks flippen epic. I've become a bit  of a roadie over the past few years though, but I'll see if I can check it out. 

• Replies 6.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If you have 3 weeks do bring a bike,will be well worth it. March is still quite lekker here (we've been having the most epic summer, haven't seen a drop of rain in months, long hot days every day). Make sure to go to Rotorua and the Redwoods. Forget about seeing the South Island, 3 weeks is barely enough to touch the north, and SI is like another country (unless you want to go there specifically for a day or 3). Also try get up to Bay of Islands its pretty cool there, make sure to take a boat trip.

Travel safe and have fun.

Thanks for the advice.  I was considering trying to do a week on the north island and a week on the south, but I think I'm gonna stick to the north  :thumbup:  

Sweet definitely gonna take a bike with me. Is bike packing around a good idea? It seems to me like one of the main attraction is the beauty of the countryside, so travelling by bike should be epic.

Thanks for the advice.  I was considering trying to do a week on the north island and a week on the south, but I think I'm gonna stick to the north  :thumbup:  

Sweet definitely gonna take a bike with me. Is bike packing around a good idea? It seems to me like one of the main attraction is the beauty of the countryside, so travelling by bike should be epic.

Tons of folks bike pack around, easily done and a great way to see some country. Seek out the back roads, not the SH (State Highways).

Going to SI will be rewarding and awesome, but it is also super expensive to get there;  costs more to go to SI than it does to get to Australia, even if you catch the ferry from Wellington to Picton. There's so much to see and do in the NI though that you'll be kept waaay busy in 3 weeks - NZ is a big country, though it's often considered small (roughly same size as UK, or Italy, or Japan, for comparison).

Also, bike packing can be a real cheap way to get round, too- stay in backpackers etc, meet cool young people from all over the world, etc.

Just going to leave this here as I know Patch does look here and is not a 'cyclist' anymore ...

'silver spokes are for poor people' Patch ca. 2016ebeb04bfd4f6c620277f07761fa4f9a9.jpg5ad81cc16e3a0b6551effc48719f922f.jpg

hahaha! Believe it or not I cycle more than I ride dirt bikes these days...

Only because I have a long-distance relationship with my Husky. It's still down on the South Island. I do have 2 scheduled visits coming up though.

As for the pedal cycle... I rode out at Woodhill last weekend. Might do the same this weekend. For my unfit-self, 15km at Woodhill is like 50km on the Spruit.

And yes... your spokes look 1000x better in black  :thumbup:

How's your brother doing? Enjoying NZ?

Edited by patches

hahaha! Believe it or not I cycle more than I ride dirt bikes these days...

Only because I have a long-distance relationship with my Husky. It's still down on the South Island. I do have 2 scheduled visits coming up though.

As for the pedal cycle... I rode out at Woodhill last weekend. Might do the same this weekend. For my unfit-self, 15km at Woodhill is like 50km on the Spruit.

And yes... your spokes look 1000x better in black [emoji106]

How's your brother doing? Enjoying NZ?

The was a time when you were a stage racer [emoji12]

He is happy being there with his kids and grandchildren but as far as cycling and outdoor stuff goes he reckons the rain has just about it him off cycling all together. Rides occasionally now ...

Looks flippen epic. I've become a bit  of a roadie over the past few years though, but I'll see if I can check it out.

If you do decide to do a bit of riding, I have a Spez Camber you can borrow so no need to schlep a bike.

If you do decide to do a bit of riding, I have a Spez Camber you can borrow so no need to schlep a bike.

Thanks so much man. I'll send you a PM  :clap:

Destination Showcase: Christchurch, New Zealand

Looks fantastic!

https://www.pinkbike.com/news/destination-showcase-christchurch-new-zealand.html

:(  :(  :(  :(

You're making me "home"-sick!

I miss Christchurch!

For those looking to move to NZ, I can highly recommend Chch! Many people only think Auckland and Tauranga are worth looking into, based on the many other Saffers they know of that moved to those places

Christchurch gets overlooked, but it shouldn't.

I loved my time there, and if I'm lucky, oneday I will go back 

Don't tell the boss or the missus  :ph34r: :lol:

Do any of you live near here

Yes, this is an hour from me. I rode there the weekend before last. It's free to get in and you can ride all day long and not do the same trails.

Thing is I have 2 young boys, one is riding his bike, the other not quite. So even though Redwoods is up the drag, I rarely go. When I got on there the other day, my skillz were super swak at first. But by the end of the sesh (did 70km), around 25 of which was in Redwoods) I was shredding. Promised myself to take...myself...back again before long.

Our local MTB park closed around a year and a half ago. Which sucks, it was awesome, but got smashed in a storm then the closed it for logging anyway as it was pointless to repair it just to have it logged a few months after. So my S-Works MTB gets precious little action...

Yes, this is an hour from me. I rode there the weekend before last. It's free to get in and you can ride all day long and not do the same trails.

Thing is I have 2 young boys, one is riding his bike, the other not quite. So even though Redwoods is up the drag, I rarely go. When I got on there the other day, my skillz were super swak at first. But by the end of the sesh (did 70km), around 25 of which was in Redwoods) I was shredding. Promised myself to take...myself...back again before long.

Our local MTB park closed around a year and a half ago. Which sucks, it was awesome, but got smashed in a storm then the closed it for logging anyway as it was pointless to repair it just to have it logged a few months after. So my S-Works MTB gets precious little action...

You mention Redwoods. Is this Rotorua?

Some mates and I are looking at arranging a five day holiday in Rotorua around November this year. That or hitting The Pioneer ... 

Either way, I'm looking forward to it!

You mention Redwoods. Is this Rotorua?

Some mates and I are looking at arranging a five day holiday in Rotorua around November this year. That or hitting The Pioneer ... 

Either way, I'm looking forward to it!

Rotorua is made up of a couple of biking areas.

Skyline is where the downhill tracks are that you use the gondola for. Then Redwoods is the big ass forest just next to it with 150km+ of free trails.

Both are Epic and make for an amazing couple of days riding.