New Zealand - The Good, The Bad and The Ugly.

Wayne Potgieter

RSA Bush:  pretty + deadly people = no go

Aussie Bush: Pretty + deadly everything else = no go

NZ Bush: Pretty + Safe = Magical experience

I did the math, it checks out.

Absolutely; my ex riding partner in NZ tells me that he is now scared of getting hurt on the trails as they are so lonely (a mate of his had a long wait with a broken leg).  Garmin or Spot Tracker needed.

• Replies 6.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

SA has exceptional hiking trails - one of the annoyances I had with living there was that could not use them with a sense of security.  Fantastic resource, can't feel safe using them.

Pretty much the same thing I tell people when they talk about all of the beauty of Africa.

Its pointless if you cant safely enjoy it.

We used to do the Blyde Canyon as a child. Start at God's window and then end up at Bourke's luck. Absolutely amazing experiences. I think parts of it are now closed because of various incidents. One German tourist had his hand cut off for failing to deliver his watch with the appropriate alacrity. It is terrible. Here is Aussie there are lots of hikes though :), but as someone else has commented, you miss the broader variety of wildlife. You will never come across a troupe of baboons, or startle some buck.

They closed that trail. Formed part of the larger Fanie Botha Trail. Linked with mac mac falls and into pilgrims rest as well.

The safety aspect has been taken away significantly. Many are still safe - but have locks of doors and you need to collect keys etc.

Wild Coast hike still works, the otter, 'kamma hike, swellendam, etc. But the number of them is getting smaller. Or the cost gets higher as you start to slack pack and have "guided" walks.

They closed that trail. Formed part of the larger Fanie Botha Trail. Linked with mac mac falls and into pilgrims rest as well.

The safety aspect has been taken away significantly. Many are still safe - but have locks of doors and you need to collect keys etc.

Wild Coast hike still works, the otter, 'kamma hike, swellendam, etc. But the number of them is getting smaller. Or the cost gets higher as you start to slack pack and have "guided" walks.

I really enjoyed the Alexander trail hike. Maybe because it was the last with my late wife but walking for hours over the dunes to get to the beach, finding Nautilus shells, the beautiful cabin. It was magical.

Also enjoyed the Harkerville hiking routes, again beautiful views and cabins were always neat and clean.

Wonder how those hits to their body impacted their relatively early demise? Similar to boxing I would imagine.

Whatever he was ingesting at Pirates every night was far worse I reckon. The dude was a sad mess.

I really enjoyed the Alexander trail hike. Maybe because it was the last with my late wife but walking for hours over the dunes to get to the beach, finding Nautilus shells, the beautiful cabin. It was magical.

Also enjoyed the Harkerville hiking routes, again beautiful views and cabins were always neat and clean.

Those Alexandria trails are amazing.

Most years I do the trail run which is really the 2 day hiking trail.

There is something really special about those sandstone cliffs and its quite a fun climb up to the overnight stop.

Actually you are incorrect.They are opening new trails on a regular basis.A lot of them are wilderness type of trails and tough and SAFE.

To one of the other comments regarding Ndedema,the smugglers have been using that route down to the valley for decades.We have never been troubled even when staying in Schoongezight where the pass hits the river.

BTW if anyone is interested,the Ndedema Valley holds some of the best examples of San art and it is worth your while to book a guide.

NZ has some magnificent long trails.Here is something to compete.

http://rimofafrica.co.za/#top

Edited by Kranswurm

RSA Bush:  pretty + deadly people = no go

Aussie Bush: Pretty + deadly everything else = no go

NZ Bush: Pretty + Safe = Magical experience

I did the math, it checks out.

You never paid attention in class

We are testing out the medical service in NZ again. :(

We went riding at Totara park again yesterday, a relaxing family cycle. Layla was with me on the MTB, her dad riding in front of us. We were going slow and still on the very gentle trails at the start. I came around the bend and there Thomas was lying on the ground, helmet off his head back to us. I put Layla down at my bike and went to look at what happend. He was lying unconscious. Blood everywhere. I started yelling for help, I didn't have my phone and at least the park was very busy. People came to help quickly, felt like the ambulance took for ever. He had to be carried quite far. Currently in hospital, a few broken vertebrae, very very bad deep cuts to his face, nose halfway teared off. Crazy! Crazy! That all this damage could happen on a normal piece of trail that had no bumps, not even a big slope. An area our 2 year old will ride with her own bike.

We are in Middlemore hospital and I can't fault the service received here again. The only rediculous thing is the COVID restrictions. Layla can't come with. Now that he is in a ward I'm not really allowed in here either, only visitors for companionate reasons are really allowed (so when the patient is dying).

Eish, don't know what the recovery will look like yet. They are finishing up plastic surgery on his face now which was done under full anesthesia. What a tough few weeks for our little family. Can only go better now.

We went riding at Totara park again yesterday, a relaxing family cycle. Layla was with me on the MTB, her dad riding in front of us. We were going slow and still on the very gentle trails at the start. I came around the bend and there Thomas was lying on the ground, helmet off his head back to us. I put Layla down at my bike and went to look at what happend. He was lying unconscious. Blood everywhere. I started yelling for help, I didn't have my phone and at least the park was very busy. People came to help quickly, felt like the ambulance took for ever. He had to be carried quite far. Currently in hospital, a few broken vertebrae, very very bad deep cuts to his face, nose halfway teared off. Crazy! Crazy! That all this damage could happen on a normal piece of trail that had no bumps, not even a big slope. An area our 2 year old will ride with her own bike.

We are in Middlemore hospital and I can't fault the service received here again. The only rediculous thing is the COVID restrictions. Layla can't come with. Now that he is in a ward I'm not really allowed in here either, only visitors for companionate reasons are really allowed (so when the patient is dying).

Eish, don't know what the recovery will look like yet. They are finishing up plastic surgery on his face now which was done under full anesthesia. What a tough few weeks for our little family. Can only go better now.

I saw your post on Facebook and was wondering what was happening.

I am extremely sorry you are going through this!

Do they know what led Thomas to falling?

Is there anything Juanita and I can do?

Damn. So sorry to hear.

Sorry to hear & I hope things turn out OK in the end for all.

Which vertebrae are broken ? I broke 4 thoracic in my off last year, so I can comment on how my recovery went - but mileage can vary.

Covid restrictions to hospitals are the pits, and the worst is that they hit you unexpectedly and at the last minute when you are already dealing with the shock and trauma of an unplanned visit in an emergency situation. My son had a MTB crash last year and I drove the family to the children's hospital ER. I then had to wait most of the rest of the day in my car in the ER carpark as they would only let one guardian in (my wife). They had a taped off car-park in front of the COVID check-gate and I just was not allowed to get out the car. You must have faced a similar issue with your daughter- except with even less options.

Luckily when I crashed a month later, my health insurance coughed up for a private room, so I was allowed one person per day to visit (no children allowed). Even that concession made a huge difference.   

Eish, sorry to hear

Sounds hectic.Hope Thomas heals up quickly

Take care

Wow that is rough Hayley, I hope he is going to make a full recovery.

It shows though how quickly something like this can happen.

The hospital thing has been standard in SA for over a year now, you go in alone and there are no visitors allowed.

That really sucks, all the best to you all and may his recovery go as well as possible.