Pyga 650B vs Giant Trance Advanced

cpelser

Curious to know why everyone thinks XT is gonna make your bike better or so much lighter,my Spitty has all SLX and it grafts just fine.

Have you every had a Xt .?? there is a big difference in crisp clean shifting , 

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Have you every had a Xt .?? there is a big difference in crisp clean shifting ,

Yup came from XT and really can't say it's a major difference.Only difference is price to me really. It shifts up and down and gives me no issues so the crisp clean shifting is not going to make it change from going up or down.

My only issue with SLX vs XT is that I don't want either.

I currently have X0 2x10 and I love my SRAM's precise shifting.

@Hairy - Mostly Majik forest (300m from my house), Bloemendal, Meerendal and my favourite: Hooggekraal :)

My biggest issue isn't necessarily being afraid of falling, rather that a 650B dual sus will just be that much more forgiving then my current 29er HT.

My wife started with a 29er and fell almost everytime she had a tight switchback or if things got a bit rough.

I bought her a 2014 Silverback Slider 1 and she hasn't fallen once since.

And she rides everywhere me and a buddy do and we fall a LOT!

I want to go 650B because while I dislocated my knee simply falling over badly, I had MANY way too close calls on Hooggekraal etc and it was basically just a question of when I'm going to fall really badly.

Yup came from XT and really can't say it's a major difference.Only difference is price to me really. It shifts up and down and gives me no issues so the crisp clean shifting is not going to make it change from going up or down.

A lot of the difference between SLX and XT is in small details : bearings instead of bushings on some parts, more corrosion resistant materials spec on some parts, more functionality and better feel on the shift and brake levers , lighter weight quite noticeable on the crankset and cassette. I'll grant that the FDs are practically identical though.

And XT makes a better impression when you sell it although debatable if this is enough to recover the higher purchase price.

10spd XT groupsets are now only about 25% to 30% more expensive than SLX but there is quite a jump to 11spd XT.

A lot of the difference between SLX and XT is in small details : bearings instead of bushings on some parts, more corrosion resistant materials spec on some parts, more functionality and better feel on the shift and brake levers , lighter weight quite noticeable on the crankset and cassette. I'll grant that the FDs are practically identical though.

And XT makes a better impression when you sell it although debatable if this is enough to recover the higher purchase price.

10spd XT groupsets are now only about 25% to 30% more expensive than SLX but there is quite a jump to 11spd XT.

Yea no SLX 11speed,YET most likely be here soon.

I stripped my Trance SLX parts off and put on all XT, I weighed each part for fun, and I can say, bar the cassette and chainrings, they were pretty much identical in terms of weight.   But a couple grams never killed anyone (except roadies and Specialized riders perhaps), but XT just is so much crisper shifting if both set up well, also did a 1x10 conversion with 42 and 16T rings, so the cassette was needed.

Wow. This subject changed quick.

I use to hate sram coming from xtr. The precise load "click" on the sram stuff was so odd compared to xtr. I do still prefer xtr in 10spd stuff but i must say that the compatibility of sram components with each other is superb. I have only 2 clamps on my bars now as the reverb lever is attached to my guides and i ride xo1 gripshift now which i thought i would hate but DAMN its nice.

The modulation, feel, look and the fact that you can just swop levers around if someone rides goofy or regular brake setup, makes the guide brakes the best. And yes i have had xtr brakes which sucked to be honest. The problem with xt and slx breaks for me is that the bite so sudden and hard when you just tap the lever. Its like left foor braking in a car. Whereas the guides(rsc) are like normal braking

Santa cruz nomad

the frame and fork alone would completely ruin his budget

which is why he must get a kona process 153 in XL (and then sell it after a year :ph34r: )

Edited by mada3400

the frame and fork alone would completely ruin his budget

which is why he must get a kona process 153 in XL (and then sell it after a year :ph34r: )

The non DL version has a Pike, and DEORE brakes?

That's a really, really, really odd combination.

The non DL version has a Pike, and DEORE brakes?

That's a really, really, really odd combination.

i disagree, if you want a good bike thats also good value, then you give it good brakes and good suspension (and good wheels, and its better to start with a good frame, but thats not where im going with this) and since both the pike and deore (which are almost identical to xt when you squeeze them) brakes are really good i dont see the problem, save 1k on brakes, throw it at the drivetrain and suddenly youve gone from some 1x10 setup to sram gx, stoked.

Edited by mada3400

They're both awesome.  Here's a vote for the Pyga.

I'm 186cm and around 100kg, hit 106 a while back but going down now. Partly due to the Pyga 120 that I'm loving  :w00t:

I'm very happy with the bike weight - much easier to drop kg's myself. I love the feel of the bike - it eats up the rough stuff and goes fast when I want it to.

Cool review:

http://www.bikeradar.com/mtb/gear/category/bikes/mountain-bikes/full-suspension/product/review-pyga-industries-onetwenty650-frame-only-13-47641/

Edited by Zook

There really aren't many bad trail bikes these days. You should buy whatever you dig after test riding. Just remember that these bikes are highly tunable which means that if they are not set up properly, they ride like crap.

Oh and Pyga FTW. There is a reason why their bikes come out tops in reviews and head to head comparisons in overseas bike mags. But I'm biased because I ride and sell them too.

Okay so I had the priviledge to test ride sakkiebomskok's Trance with a Pike today.

I wasn't fast, but I felt fast.

I wasn't scared, just felt like taking jumps and stuff :)

I tried bunny hopping with flats but got that totally wrong (had a good laugh at myself)

So it's decided, DEFINITELY going the dual 650B route.

Now it's just to figure out whether to go new vs second hand and which bike to go for.

I think since today was my first time on a proper dualie I'll try and test ride a few more bikes before I decide, as it's quite a costly thing..

Thanks Sakkie, loved the ride today!