Discovery Health - Vitality & Team Vitality plus everything else you need to know

How does FNB compare with their rewards program?

Have they also made changes, over the years, that reduced in perceived value?

One thing I know is that the more you invest with them, i.e. home loan, car finance, investment, etc., the higher the tier and the better the rewards. So the people complaining about not having inside and banking would be similar to FNB clients that don’t have all the options.

Yes, constant change in the rules/goal posts ....

I was on level 3 by doing what we normally did, ie shop at Checkers, fill up at Engen, etc.

Dropped to level 2 as the goal posts got moved.

Now need to do at least 4 transactions per month from the App to get back to level 3.

for level 4 and 5 you are going to hand over your life to FNB ... insurance, investments, etc etc ....

still saving more than my bank charges.  So still doing everything I did at my previous bank, and having a real R 4 500 saving per year !  :w00t:   Maybe time to up my game and make sure I get to level 3 ...

• Replies 10.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, constant change in the rules/goal posts ....

I was on level 3 by doing what we normally did, ie shop at Checkers, fill up at Engen, etc.

Dropped to level 2 as the goal posts got moved.

Now need to do at least 4 transactions per month from the App to get back to level 3.

for level 4 and 5 you are going to hand over your life to FNB ... insurance, investments, etc etc ....

still saving more than my bank charges. So still doing everything I did at my previous bank, and having a real R 4 500 saving per year ! :w00t: Maybe time to up my game and make sure I get to level 3 ...

Your clearly doing someone thing wrong, over the last 4 years I have been on level 5 and each year I have had to make minimal changes, most of which are scott free.

A few years back I did my will with them, which was free and effectively gives me an entire level, this year I had to add R250pm to my saving account. Big whoop, on avg I make about 5 times my bank changes with zero effort.

There are many free ways to get up on levels and unlike discovery they literally give you a list and each year they give you 2 months notice with a list of what's changed in plain and simple English.

I read the change doc, logged into my Internet banking and amended my automatic payment into my saving, 60 seconds out of an entire year to get over R12000 back in well money.

They definitely move the goal posts but fnb turns a 100m into a 200m while discovery turns a 5k into a marathon and makes u take off your shoes and put on a blindfold

They definitely move the goal posts but fnb turns a 100m into a 200m while discovery turns a 5k into a marathon and makes u take off your shoes and put on a blindfold and wont tell you how far you have to run and where the finish line is until you start running. And then just as you have the finish line in sight they tear it down and move it somewhere else, leaving only cookie crumbs to follow.

FTFY

https://www.businessinsider.co.za/outraged-vitality-members-say-they-arent-even-getting-free-smoothies-for-achieving-goals-anymore-2020-1

Well that didn't take long...

I wonder if there will still be Move To Give items this year. Quite a few of my points last year went to those.

A lot of misinformed people out there.

From this week, it’s 100 miles on achieving the goal, plus - play on the game board. Mine was a minimum of 50, so that equates to a free coffee. This was communicated in a newsletter, which is why I k ow how it works.

I’m about to upload my workout which will close my 900 point goal (17:14) and I will post a screenshot of the notification showing the instant 100 points. The app shows the last sync was today at 17:15, but no notification yet. I expect this to come through later.

I received 4 plays this week, which I know is for the goals I achieved last week, but I’m not sure if the 4th one was for achieving all three goals, or because I had more than 100 points left over from the old system. I forgot to convert 490 points to Dis-Chem vouchers, so lost out through the conversion. Not my fault, I thought it was the 15th, when it was actually the night of the 10th.

Could Discovery be a little more transparent? Maybe

Have they communicated how it works? Yes

Am I disappointed? Not yet

Is the world going to end because the value has dropped? Probably not

If this is all about a free coffee/smoothie, fork it, I might as well also give it up. But I get more cash back and reward for the money I put in, at least for the products I have with them.

Are there better options? Probably, but I’ve made my decision to spend my money with them, understand the game, that is Vitality Active/Drive/Bank Rewards, and play the game accordingly.

Your clearly doing someone thing wrong, over the last 4 years I have been on level 5 and each year I have had to make minimal changes, most of which are scott free.

A few years back I did my will with them, which was free and effectively gives me an entire level, this year I had to add R250pm to my saving account. Big whoop, on avg I make about 5 times my bank changes with zero effort.

There are many free ways to get up on levels and unlike discovery they literally give you a list and each year they give you 2 months notice with a list of what's changed in plain and simple English.

I read the change doc, logged into my Internet banking and amended my automatic payment into my saving, 60 seconds out of an entire year to get over R12000 back in well money.

They definitely move the goal posts but fnb turns a 100m into a 200m while discovery turns a 5k into a marathon and makes u take off your shoes and put on a blindfold

Thanks for the feedback. I was hoping to show others that a rewards program is not static and that it changes, hopefully also less value as it goes.

Where we have something in common is that I agree Discovery don’t have a simple calculator like FNB but they do show you how to get points. And finding information is a little difficult too.

Thanks for the feedback. I was hoping to show others that a rewards program is not static and that it changes, hopefully also less value as it goes.

Where we have something in common is that I agree Discovery don’t have a simple calculator like FNB but they do show you how to get points. And finding information is a little difficult too.

If you look at banking, there is zero information other than what's shared in these threads, because there are no concrete rules and they hide behind the BS that it's unique calculations relative to your personal profile means they can change the rules at anytime without most people even noticing and nobody will be able to prove it. If you don't know what the rules were, how do you prove they changed?

Vitality health and drive at least have concrete rules and diminishing rewards, but who's to say they don't start hiding those away next.

To truly benefit from vitality now you need to be all in and for me personally that means leaving a guaranteed R1000 a month for some maybe possible discounts on very specific things that I may or may not do every month, like healthy food for example, everything on the list is the most expensive variant of that product, I literally save more money not shopping off that list.

Insurance, again for me personally, I looked into that and from the rewards I'd get about R400 a month in petrol, for double my insurance premiums I'd go from under 1200pm to just over 2500pm and some of the excesses were higher.

Vitality health lost all its value, I don't buy shoes, I seldom shop at sportmans as most stuff is considerably cheaper elsewhere, I don't gym, I don't fly, I don't stay in hotels.

The entire rewards system is not aimed at me, even most of last year I was loosing out, I was paying in more than I was getting out and it's now depreciated even further.

Each person needs to look at it for themselves, for me eBucks is best, for the next guy it's discovery or absa rewards or whatever.

I have been with vitality for about 7 years, eBucks even longer and I am that type of person that goes and reads all the rules, works out the best way to maximise my benefits from the system. So I know the Oceans that span between how fnb changes the rules and discovery, as well as the level of transparency around said changes.

Reme good to hear to you are on level 5  :thumbup:

I have been with FNB for about 20 months.  What I was saying is that it is EASY to get to level 3.  I have read the suggestions of how to move up the levels.  NO, I am NOT having my will with a bank !  Some very bad experience with that.  My insurance etc is all in place already .... so it will take a concerted effort and a change in the way we do business to move up the levels.  Nothing wrong with that, the concept is similar across all of these rewards programs - bring us your whole life for max benefits ...

As you say, some programs work for some people .... The ABSA rewards system would not work for us at all, wrong shops, wrong fuel stations, etc ....

Reme good to hear to you are on level 5 [emoji106]

I have been with FNB for about 20 months. What I was saying is that it is EASY to get to level 3. I have read the suggestions of how to move up the levels. NO, I am NOT having my will with a bank ! Some very bad experience with that. My insurance etc is all in place already .... so it will take a concerted effort and a change in the way we do business to move up the levels. Nothing wrong with that, the concept is similar across all of these rewards programs - bring us your whole life for max benefits ...

As you say, some programs work for some people .... The ABSA rewards system would not work for us at all, wrong shops, wrong fuel stations, etc ....

The will I don't actually need, I'm single and have no kids and I will die that way. It exists for the reward points and actually I have not needed it for some time, but it gives me a bugger just in case, I'm usually 1000 to 1500 points above the level 5 requirement and even this year they dropped the point requirements, they actually made getting there easier, on platinum at leas, dunno the other colours requirements.

How does FNB compare with their rewards program?

Have they also made changes, over the years, that reduced in perceived value?

One thing I know is that the more you invest with them, i.e. home loan, car finance, investment, etc., the higher the tier and the better the rewards. So the people complaining about not having inside and banking would be similar to FNB clients that don’t have all the options.

For me FNB (eBucks) is much better. Also easier to get to level 5. I've been between level 4 and 5 depending on how the month goes.

I don't have a Bond or any type of Insurance with FNB.

A Cheque Account and a Credit Card.

I'm pretty sure that Discovery is now being run by the ANC and they using their marketing company to feed people bull****.

For me FNB (eBucks) is much better. Also easier to get to level 5. I've been between level 4 and 5 depending on how the month goes.

I don't have a Bond or any type of Insurance with FNB.

A Cheque Account and a Credit Card.

I'm pretty sure that Discovery is now being run by the ANC and they using their marketing company to feed people bull****.

Also on FNB, been with them for 2 years now, always been on Level 5

-Fusion Card (Basically a Cheque account with all the nice features of a credit card, including a 30 days free overdraft facility)

-No FNB Vehicle Finance, No FNB Home Loan, No FNB insurance. No FNB Will

-I only draw Cash at Checkers tellers, and only to pay our Domestic. Swipes the rest of the transactions

-fnbY account for one of the kids under my profile, sets them up nicely with savings for the future.

Returns

-My total bank costs come to R210, the eBucks I get back averages at around R1000 each month.

-Being clever with the eBucks and spending them on vouchers that are 40% off means this is multiplied to about R1400 which is spent on monthly necessities like nappies and formula.

-I get 40% off my flights on Kullula for myself and my kids. (Wife can as well under my name if she just finally decides to get an FNB account)

Some reward schemes will suit your family setup better than others, find the one that works for your family. No use in hanging on when it starts to cost you more time, money and effort than can be justified out of the returns.

Also on FNB, been with them for 2 years now, always been on Level 5

-Fusion Card (Basically a Cheque account with all the nice features of a credit card, including a 30 days free overdraft facility)

-No FNB Vehicle Finance, No FNB Home Loan, No FNB insurance. No FNB Will

-I only draw Cash at Checkers tellers, and only to pay our Domestic. Swipes the rest of the transactions

-fnbY account for one of the kids under my profile, sets them up nicely with savings for the future.

Returns

-My total bank costs come to R210, the eBucks I get back averages at around R1000 each month.

-Being clever with the eBucks and spending them on vouchers that are 40% off means this is multiplied to about R1400 which is spent on monthly necessities like nappies and formula.

-I get 40% off my flights on Kullula for myself and my kids. (Wife can as well under my name if she just finally decides to get an FNB account)

Some reward schemes will suit your family setup better than others, find the one that works for your family. No use in hanging on when it starts to cost you more time, money and effort than can be justified out of the returns.

I have been thinking of moving to FNB, I actually have an FNB and Discovery but use the FNB for debit orders only.

Can you perhaps post link of how there rewards for ebucks works.

As I am considering to move everything onto FNB or get the new card fron Discovery Bank when my current card expires.

Getting could reward through Discovery Miles , but not sure if I will be able to stay on Diamond with the new changes which makes FNB more attractive.

I have been thinking of moving to FNB, I actually have an FNB and Discovery but use the FNB for debit orders only.

Can you perhaps post link of how there rewards for ebucks works.

As I am considering to move everything onto FNB or get the new card fron Discovery Bank when my current card expires.

Getting could reward through Discovery Miles , but not sure if I will be able to stay on Diamond with the new changes which makes FNB more attractive.

https://www.ebucks.com/web/calculator/rewardsCalculatorAction.do

Little tip, check out their Fusion products: single account for everything plus you get a free savings account which is linked, works for me.