Discovery Health - Vitality & Team Vitality plus everything else you need to know

Morning guys and ladies....I have been following this topic with great interest albeit being very silent on the topic...

As luck would have it, I do tests on some high profile athletes which in return allows me access to some pretty good info and stats.....I just want to share something on a little experiment we did in regards to the i-watch.....

I got some info from one of the athletes this morning and the experiment followed on from a brainfart I had looking in to the specs of the Apple Watch....the allocation of points and the need for a GPS sensor....

The watch has an accelerometer as well as the heart rate monitor....I simply wondered to myself as to how accurate this unit was in terms of running and heart rate....

So I got one of the athletes to help me with this and got some stats from him this morning....

He went for a 2 h 10 minute ride using the activity app.on the i-watch not using his phone or any other app. such as Strava or Mapmyfitness.....

He was allocated 1 500 points and they seemed to have used his heart rate average based on his age related heart rate....

He then sent me info where he went for a run using his Polar M400 with heart monitor belt as well as the i-watch again not using any other app or running with his phone....this is what I found most interesting...

The M400 is quite a sophisticated unit using GPS and the accelerometer built in to the unit adds cadence to his data (a nice function but not overly crucial)

The run was done over a distance of (add number).18 and the average heart rate was 143 as recorded on the M400....

The info pulled from the i-watch made the run (add number).19 and the average heart rate value was 144 which puts the run out by 10 meters and the heart rate by 1 beat per minute....

I must be honest....I am quite impressed and although it's a smart watch it is starting to look like a relatively good fitness and activity tracker without too much fuss....

Just a little bit of trivia so I can add my 1 cent worth.....

Edited by BarHugger

• Replies 10.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Morning guys and ladies....I have been following this topic with great interest albeit being very silent on the topic...

As luck would have it, I do tests on some high profile athletes which in return allows me access to some pretty good info and stats.....I just want to share something on a little experiment we did in regards to the i-watch.....

I got some info from one of the athletes this morning and the experiment followed on from a brainfart I had looking in to the specs of the Apple Watch....the allocation of points and the need for a GPS sensor....

The watch has an accelerometer as well as the heart rate monitor....I simply thought to myself as to how accurate this unit was in terms of running and hear rate....

So I got one of the athletes to help me wit this and got some stats from him this morning....

He went for a 2 h 10 minute ride using the activity app.on the i-watch not using his phone or any other app. such as Strava or Mapmyfitness.....

He was allocated 1 500 points and they seemed to have used his heart rate average based on his age related heart rate....

He then sent me info where he went for a run using his Polar M400 with heart monitor belt as well as the i-watch again not using any other app or running with his phone....this is what I found most interesting...

The M400 is quite a sophisticated unit using GPS and the accelerometer built in to the unit adds cadence to his data (a nice function but not overly crucial)

The run was done over a distance of (add number).18 and the average heart rate was 143 as recorded on the M400....

The info pulled from the i-watch made the run (add number).19 and the average heart rate value was 144 which puts the run out by 10 meters and the heart rate by 1 beat per minute....

I must be honest....I am quite impressed and although it's a smart watch it is starting to look like a relatively good fitness and activity tracker without too much fuss....

Just a little bit of trivia so I can add my 1 cent worth.....

Yeah, the optical HR sensors have really come a long way in a remarkably short period of time. Who thought that 2 little LED's and a sensor would be able to do that!?

Yeah, the optical HR sensors have really come a long way in a remarkably short period of time. Who thought that 2 little LED's and a sensor would be able to do that!?

Absolutely ......

The Vitality rewards points are taking forever to lead now. You get 600 points for a ride you used to get 3000 points for. Goal posts shifting all over the place. I'm so glad I didn't opt for the Apple watch gimmick.

We covered this a couple of pages back. The only way to get 1,500 or 3,000 points is now with the use of an HR enabled device. This is understandable, as the old way (distance / speed / time based) was very much open to abuse. I mean, stick Strava on and leave it in your car whilst you drive home, or are on the road... BAM. 3,000 points. 

So, your apple watch "gimmick" would have allowed you to continue getting 3,000 points per ride as it (shock horror) records HR data. 

I use my Garmin with HR monitor...

post-615-0-50680100-1453970963_thumb.jpg

post-615-0-42592400-1453970971_thumb.jpg

Edited by splat

Still does the job, and still gives you up to 3,000 points for a 2hr + ride at avg 70% of your age-based HR. 

Not % of HRR, or your unique Max HR base don your fitness, just (220-age)x70%

Still does the job, and still gives you up to 3,000 points for a 2hr + ride at avg 70% of your age-based HR. 

Not % of HRR, or your unique Max HR base don your fitness, just (220-age)x70%

Sorry, what I meant was that I use my Garmin with HR and used to get 3000 points, now only get 600.

Screenshots are from 120 + min category in Points Monitor.

(I had to re-upload my screenshots, so maybe you replied before they appeared :ph34r: )

Edited by splat

The distance accuracy is what surprises me..

Sorry, what I meant was that I use my Garmin with HR and used to get 3000 points, now only get 600.

Screenshots are from 120 + min category in Points Monitor.

(I had to re-upload my screenshots, so maybe you replied before they appeared :ph34r: )

That's not right. Take it up with them. 

Edited by Myles Mayhew

I have 3 rewards .... I'll be near a Vida tomorrow so I'll drink 3 coffees  :thumbup:

Well since 30 000 was the cap that large number of points received for many (including myself) means we have already hit it within the first month. Now we're just training for coffees  :whistling:

Don't count your coffees before they hatch.

Vida is not appearing as a reward in the app today and the store I visited has a sign up that says we cannot accept Discovery vouchers as they (Disco) are having a problem with their systems which are off-line.

Best you go for a Kauai.

Don't count your coffees before they hatch.

Vida is not appearing as a reward in the app today and the store I visited has a sign up that says we cannot accept Discovery vouchers as they (Disco) are having a problem with their systems which are off-line.

Best you go for a Kauai.

No thanks, I'd rather have nothing than their coffee and I don't drink hipster smoothies ....

No thanks, I'd rather have nothing than their coffee and I don't drink hipster smoothies ....

try the peanut butter bomb... you might change your mind on the smoothies!!

You can also have a Raw Juice at Kauai, just do this at your own risk.

Last year I tried that wheat grass stuff (not at Kauai though) and bloody hell I would have spat it out but I was in a very larnie establishment and they would have probably kicked me out.

I'm not one for moaning, but fokit okes... there is so much information on this thread, probably more than on the Disco website. Just read the thread or "search using a keyword" - having to answer the same question over and over again is just as frustrating as the points not coming through on their website.

It's not a perfect system, and there are bound to be teething problems. Rather share how you resolved the problem, like updating to the latest version of the app, or de-linking and re-linking the Garmin/Strava/Health app, than complaining the whole time. Like I said, it's not a foolproof system, but 9 times out of 10 there's a simple solution.

For the Gym Booster activation, thanks for the heads up, but there's a way to see on the Discovery website if there is something NEW... look for the NEW icon on the website.

post-1372-0-44072000-1453974336_thumb.png

Sorry if this has been posted but what App do you use with the Apple Watch to get Vitality Points? Strava doesn't seem to record heart rate? So if one is training on a treadmill or Spinning bike ie: not moving how do you get your "vigorous device workout" points - Thanks