Discovery Health - Vitality & Team Vitality plus everything else you need to know

Can someone just explain to me that if they're cutting Strava and all the fitness apps, are you then supposed to use the built in workout app on the watch to get the points?

Exactly that, just watch out , when you sweat the Apple Watch becomes almost useless at reading Hr , you will read 54 Bpm while killing yourself sometimes , so keep an eye on that.

• Replies 10.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Talking about the benefits of the Team Vitality club... Now there's a rip-off.

Most of the Garmin devices are at least 20% more expensive than the cheapest option.

I was looking for a lid for the wife when I take her on the tandem. One specific Rudy Project is priced at R1450, so with the R500 discount (which doesn't work on the ASG website), it's still more expensive than retail shops I've seen it.

Again, not the reason I signed up. Will see how much of the entry fees I can recover from the races I do.

Can someone just explain to me that if they're cutting Strava and all the fitness apps, are you then supposed to use the built in workout app on the watch to get the points?

The reason they cutting strava is because people (apparently) uploading manual entries. eg. they said they went for a ride and this was their stats without any proof. The interface to discovery unfortunately does not specify whether an entry is manual or from device so discovery dont know if you actually did it or not. And a big guy like strava is not going to listen to a small guy like disco and sommer spend money and change their API just for them.

The reason they cutting strava is because people (apparently) uploading manual entries. eg. they said they went for a ride and this was their stats without any proof. The interface to discovery unfortunately does not specify whether an entry is manual or from device so discovery dont know if you actually did it or not. And a big guy like strava is not going to listen to a small guy like disco and sommer spend money and change their API just for them.

But strava syncs to the Health app which captures heartrate. I don't see what the issue is.

The built in app is crap for cycling. I refuse to use it. 

You cant upload heart rate data to a manual upload. So surely if heart rate is present they should be able to still accept it?

Another financial institution screwing it's customers. Why am I not suprised.

It literally seems to be getting worse, around every corner someone/Institute wanting to screw you over, if not more than one!

The world is collapsing around us... it is all doom and gloom... but no matter what system Discovery have used for the last however many years and whatever they use in the future... active people who BUY INTO the system will always get to gold... and whatever perks be it smoothies, reduced gym fees, money back etc... are a bonus

As usual, see the system, learn the system... work the system to your benefit !!

okay, let's do the math here.

The HR data that they use is your AGE RATED HR. 

IE: If you're 40, your MAX HR is listed at 220-40 = 180.

In order to get to Vigorous, you'll now need to maintain an average of 144 bpm. 

Not that difficult, and I'd even go so far as to say that that is far lower than your *actual* 75% level... 

The problem with the above is that not everybody falls into the "220 - age" category. 

So according to the formula my MAX HR is/should be 180. Unfortunately, mine is not. My MAX HR is 165. 

For me to exercise above the 75% threshold means I actually need to be at 82%, or above.

I do realise that I'm obviously in the minority, even an anomaly, but it's not fair on someone who doesn't fit the "general" category. It's not that major train smash if you're a fairly good level cyclist. Normally it would not have bothered me that much, but currently I'm in a situation where i'm under strict Doctors orders where i'm not allowed to get my HR above 70% of Max.

Even with the above restriction I was able to make my targets. This might not be the case going forward. 

You cant upload heart rate data to a manual upload. So surely if heart rate is present they should be able to still accept it?

That's my view, too, but it appears strava booted entirely.

Seems like a case of throwing the strava baby out with the bathwater

The world is collapsing around us... it is all doom and gloom... but no matter what system Discovery have used for the last however many years and whatever they use in the future... active people who BUY INTO the system will always get to gold... and whatever perks be it smoothies, reduced gym fees, money back etc... are a bonus

As usual, see the system, learn the system... work the system to your benefit !!

Sorry dude.

I am probably MORE active than you.  I bought into the system. 

I only get points for ONE month.  The other 11 moths is worth F$$(*@) all  No points.  Sorry buddy.

Did all the surveys.  Jumped the hoops. 

And now I am "stuck" at 55000 points.  Which was accumulated in ONE month because I bought into the system.

Not even silver. 

So no.......ACTIVE people does not get to gold. 

People buying policies, making Discovery richer and cheating the system with BS ways  to exercise (swiping in and leaving immediately) gets to gold. 

Work the system to your benefit you say.....

I have worked it.  honestly. 

And there is no real benefit. 

No help in bitching about it though......big corporate making money so they'll just shove it down your throat and you have to swallow like a good prozzie.

I'll just take my small business elsewhere.    

Talking about the benefits of the Team Vitality club... Now there's a rip-off.

Most of the Garmin devices are at least 20% more expensive than the cheapest option.

I was looking for a lid for the wife when I take her on the tandem. One specific Rudy Project is priced at R1450, so with the R500 discount (which doesn't work on the ASG website), it's still more expensive than retail shops I've seen it.

Again, not the reason I signed up. Will see how much of the entry fees I can recover from the races I do.

Had the same issue and contacted ASG. There is actually a separate site where you can actually use the voucher. Priceses were also a bit cheaper than the ASG site.

Guest notmyname

Sorry dude.

I am probably MORE active than you. I bought into the system.

I only get points for ONE month. The other 11 moths is worth F$$(*@) all No points. Sorry buddy.

Did all the surveys. Jumped the hoops.

And now I am "stuck" at 55000 points. Which was accumulated in ONE month because I bought into the system.

Not even silver.

People buying policies, making Discovery richer and cheating the system with BS ways to exercise (swiping in and leaving immediately) gets to gold.

I have worked it. honestly.

No help in bitching about it though......big corporate making money so they'll just shove it down your throat and you have to swallow like a good prozzie.

You and me both Spidey.

Sorry dude.

I only get points for ONE month.  The other 11 moths is worth F$$(*@) all  No points.  Sorry buddy.

And now I am "stuck" at 55000 points.  Which was accumulated in ONE month because I bought into the system.

Not even silver. 

People buying policies, making Discovery richer and cheating the system with BS ways  to exercise (swiping in and leaving immediately) gets to gold. 

As a triathlete and cyclist i am active 6 sometimes 7 days a week.  I do all the online tests, go for the tests and do my normal training and get to gold every year without difficulty... so I disagree with you and many DO get to gold.

This year was only different in that because of the huge points for cycling, many got to Gold early in January, rather than later in the year.

If you are on 55,000 you are already on gold as gold status for an individual is 45,000

Edited by shaper

Even if there's no exceptions (and I know there is...) I would seriously doubt whether any of the Vitality bean counters that came up with this decision have an idea of the effort required to maintain above 80% of max HR...

So what's Vitality's message? (And I say this tongue in cheek...) All cool boys n girls, just time-trial the streets and for goodness sake don't stop at red lights and stop streets in fear of your HR dropping below 80%?!  :eek: Climb for an hour but start a new activity when you crest and start descending? 

The problem with the above is that not everybody falls into the "220 - age" category. 

So according to the formula my MAX HR is/should be 180. Unfortunately, mine is not. My MAX HR is 165. 

For me to exercise above the 75% threshold means I actually need to be at 82%, or above.

I do realise that I'm obviously in the minority, even an anomaly, but it's not fair on someone who doesn't fit the "general" category. It's not that major train smash if you're a fairly good level cyclist. Normally it would not have bothered me that much, but currently I'm in a situation where i'm under strict Doctors orders where i'm not allowed to get my HR above 70% of Max.

Even with the above restriction I was able to make my targets. This might not be the case going forward. 

this was posted earlier and is the table that Vitality will use with regard to HR. http://www.htxt.co.za/wp-content/uploads/2016/03/var_heart_rate_table-2.jpg

And does seem to be based on 220-age x 80%

Edited by shaper

Sorry dude.

Not even silver. 

No help in bitching about it though......big corporate making money so they'll just shove it down your throat and you have to swallow like a good prozzie.

is your significant other also partaking in this? You'll never get to gold if you don't both pull your weight. 

EDIT: As for the "no real benefit" thing - if all you're doing is racking up points, and you haven't registered for all the benefits (healthy food, flight discounts etc etc ettc) then of course it's not going to be of benefit to you. 

It sounds like you need someone like me to actually sit down with you and go through it properly, face to face, and register you for all the benefits that you would USE. 

I've already given you the info on points and how to get to gold. If there are 2 of you on it, BOTH of you need to do the things you need to in order to get there. 

Edited by Myles Mayhew