Discovery Health - Vitality & Team Vitality plus everything else you need to know

The problem discovery is sitting with is to eliminate the people who is currently cheating the system. The solution they have come up with now penalises fit active and honest people which is counter intuitive to the entire Vitality brand.

They have the right thing in mind but their knee jerk reaction has just pissed everyone off!!!

In my mind this campaign was a deliberate bait and switch scheme where they made it very attractive to take up an offering with a discounted rate, and once hooked they went to the fine print to now cash in. It will be hard to prove, but if enough people believe that Discovery were dishonest with this campaign, they may have to re-evaluate how they go about this.

• Replies 10.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

In my mind this campaign was a deliberate bait and switch scheme where they made it very attractive to take up an offering with a discounted rate, and once hooked they went to the fine print to now cash in. It will be hard to prove, but if enough people believe that Discovery were dishonest with this campaign, they may have to re-evaluate how they go about this.

Will still see what will happen. If you are right then it might make sense why they only said they will introduce the Free flights later in the year. 

I don't think this is accurate. Discovery is a multi-billion rand corporation and even giving away a hundred thousand Apple watches won't make a difference to their balance sheet. The level of interest was clearly underestimated and whoever is (was) in charge of this project does not understand what they are doing. 

On the other hand, couch potatoes now running around with Apple watches and sipping free smoothies might want to rethink their fitness regime. 

Discovery can then just ask the dishonest couch patatoes to provide proof that it was actually them doing the exercise just to find out they don't even own a bicycle or a pair of running shoes... Meanwhile they log 2 hour bike rides on Strava to reach their weekly goal and get a free watch.

Try as I may, I cannot get Vitality to pull my ride data through from Garmin Connect. Spent hours on the phone, a visit to their office in Sandton (where they didn't have internet connection to the PC's in their help centre!!!!!), promised it would be sorted, phoned again, gotten reference numbers, blah blah blah.

This is the problem with living the Vitality life for me: when it works, it's great, but when there's a glitch, you are so badly screwed by their incompetence/system failings that it's enough motivation to stop all their programs entirely :cursing:

Unlink Vitality in Garmin Connect. Then relink Garmin in Discovery. And you have to do that every time you want a sync!

Unlink Vitality in Garmin Connect. Then relink Garmin in Discovery. And you have to do that every time you want a sync!

No you don't 

I thought Garmin Connect was no more, only Garmin Express was working. 

Edited by Dick

I thought Garmin Connect was no more, only Garmin Express was working. 

Upload using Garmin Express but data ends up in Connect. (or you can upload file manually using Connect)

Maybe you don't, but I have to

Remember it only syncs once a day, its not immediate 

Remember it only syncs once a day, its not immediate

And if I wait a week and nothing happens, and I've tested for the last 3-4 weeks? And every time I delink and relink it works?

And if I wait a week and nothing happens, and I've tested for the last 3-4 weeks? And every time I delink and relink it works?

Don't have the answer but the date and time of last sync is displayed on LivingVitality webpage. 

Just received this email, at least they helping out the TomTom users:

Your TomTom data is currently sent to Vitality through MapMyfitness – this has data integration and reliability issues which many of our members have raised. We are therefore in the process of discontinuing this method of integration from the Vitality programme.

Together with TomTom, we are working on a new, better-quality integration and we hope to have this in place in the coming months. In the interim, while no new TomTom device linking through MapMyFitness will be possible from 18 March 2016, we have recognised you as an early adopter. We’ll continue to award you Vitality points for your TomTom activity (via MapMyFitness) until the end of June 2016. Given the intricacies of this system integration, we cannot commit to timelines but will keep you informed closer to the time.

Try linking from the App instead of the website 

I have a Windows-based phone, and there is no App available for Windows phones (or that I can find anyway!)