Discovery Health - Vitality & Team Vitality plus everything else you need to know

220 less age has been used since polar started the whole train by heart rate bandwagon years ago. There has been plenty written on the most appropriate method since.

As most people with a heart rate monitor are unable to use it to get an accurate maximum by going hard until they cannot go any more, see Jesus or puke it's understandable that someone has created a formula. I ride with a dozen guys regularly and at least 9 of them have no idea what their maximum is.

But equally, realistically how can you expect every ## year old man or woman to have exactly the same maximum heart rate?

So actuaries have used most likely scenarios in their calculations since the abacus was invented, what is so hard to understand about this. Discovery have clearly stated that "this is how we do it" from the old days of the Polar only policy?

Why do we keep bringing this issue up? Train how you want to but accept that if you want to play in the Discovery game you play by their rules.

It's no different to being a day late with your credit card payment and being charged interest from day 1 on your purchases. Or the fact we all pay the same medical aid premium no matter how healthy or otherwise we are?

Repeating the same gripe ad nauseam in a social forum smacks of lack of respect to other users or stupidity. Or both.

• Replies 10.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok, so moved the wife to single gym virgin active and will try meet the 4 goals a month for free gym.

When does the 5% per week for flights kick in, will it apply to flights you book now and fly in Sept?

What is the cheapest device for wife to use to record her runs for discovery? (HR)

Should I just get her the iWatch for that?

thanks guys/Myles

220 less age has been used since polar started the whole train by heart rate bandwagon years ago. There has been plenty written on the most appropriate method since.

As most people with a heart rate monitor are unable to use it to get an accurate maximum by going hard until they cannot go any more, see Jesus or puke it's understandable that someone has created a formula. I ride with a dozen guys regularly and at least 9 of them have no idea what their maximum is.

But equally, realistically how can you expect every ## year old man or woman to have exactly the same maximum heart rate?

So actuaries have used most likely scenarios in their calculations since the abacus was invented, what is so hard to understand about this. Discovery have clearly stated that "this is how we do it" from the old days of the Polar only policy?

Why do we keep bringing this issue up? Train how you want to but accept that if you want to play in the Discovery game you play by their rules.

It's no different to being a day late with your credit card payment and being charged interest from day 1 on your purchases. Or the fact we all pay the same medical aid premium no matter how healthy or otherwise we are?

Repeating the same gripe ad nauseam in a social forum smacks of lack of respect to other users or stupidity. Or both.

So by your take if you disagree with something or can see obvious flaws in then, then just keep quiet and take it?

Im not overly adept in the art of keeping quiet about things I disagree with.

But then again Im sure you know the comparison between opinions and buttholes?

Ok, so moved the wife to single gym virgin active and will try meet the 4 goals a month for free gym.

When does the 5% per week for flights kick in, will it apply to flights you book now and fly in Sept?

What is the cheapest device for wife to use to record her runs for discovery? (HR)

thanks guys/Myles

if you planning on reaching your goals every week and she already has an iphone get the iwatch...

if you planning on reaching your goals every week and she already has an iphone get the iwatch...

Wait, does it record the heart which discovery are after?

thanks guys/Myles

You can also look at the Garmin FR70 if you do not need GPS and just want to record time and distance.

Will she not have to run with the phone to record HR via the watch?

If she wants to record distance then yes. If she's just interested in heartrate then you dont need to carry the phone.

Cell contract upgrade time, think I'm gonna move back to apple after 2 years and get a free iWatch.

Already enjoying soo many benefits from Disco so why not another.

Got my gym booster cash back this week also so it's all good.

Thanks Disco!!

2872ad4b1ca08ee40c60a257a8bcb347.jpg

Took your guys advice, the wife may think it's linked to her vitality so she is keen to get running!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

00562473ba72e3f942adc804c8378f64.jpg

I am sure it's been mentioned, but why do you need to have your heart rate at above 80% for 210 minutes, why no points for a long ride at 70-79?

00562473ba72e3f942adc804c8378f64.jpg

I am sure it's been mentioned, but why do you need to have your heart rate at above 80% for 210 minutes, why no points for a long ride at 70-79?

and welcome to discovery where your opinions dont matter and the points dont count. (do you remember "whos line is it anyway" HAHAHA)