Discovery Health - Vitality & Team Vitality plus everything else you need to know

LOL. We do. But less beer now. Reminds me - I need more whisky.

ATM time is at a premium. This Tabata thing kicks that in the nuts. And my legs are now jelly...

Oh - and the lardiness is hampering my ability to do what I love most about MTB - the way down.

RE the way down:

E(p) = mgh. So to reach you full potential you need m, it's called 'Gravity' by definition, and the height is based purely on the size of your ballistics. If that is not a scientific proof, I don't know what is :) so emphasis on 'm' for the Maniacs.

Ps: isn't 'Tabata' just Mesopotamian for 'interval'? Cos my own Thorbata seems similar. Just weaker. And for no points.

• Replies 10.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

RE the way down:

E(p) = mgh. So to reach you full potential you need m, it's called 'Gravity' by definition, and the height is based purely on the size of your ballistics. If that is not a scientific proof, I don't know what is :) so emphasis on 'm' for the Maniacs.

Ps: isn't 'Tabata' just Mesopotamian for 'interval'? Cos my own Thorbata seems similar. Just weaker. And for no points.

Problem with that equation is that the it assumes that potential energy automatically converts to kinetic once moving. In my case, the ability to convert potential energy is indirectly proportionate to the size of the climb preceding the descent. But yes - all things remaining equal, the heavier rider will get to the bottom first. When the heavy rider is busting a lung, though, his ability to work the terrain and actually get out the saddle to pedal is sorely lacking.

I had Raydek ride with me one day following an excessively heavy training day. He was completely blown by the top of Conters blue line. Told me halfway down that he simply couldn't concentrate nor get his body to do what he wanted it to do. Computer said no. Told him "welcome to my world". That's how it is permanently for us fatties. By the time the fun stuff gets there, we're too blown to do anything with it. 

As for Tabata.. http://www.tabataprotocol.com/

Problem with that equation is that the it assumes that potential energy automatically converts to kinetic once moving. In my case, the ability to convert potential energy is indirectly proportionate to the size of the climb preceding the descent. But yes - all things remaining equal, the heavier rider will get to the bottom first. When the heavy rider is busting a lung, though, his ability to work the terrain and actually get out the saddle to pedal is sorely lacking.

I had Raydek ride with me one day following an excessively heavy training day. He was completely blown by the top of Conters blue line. Told me halfway down that he simply couldn't concentrate nor get his body to do what he wanted it to do. Computer said no. Told him "welcome to my world". That's how it is permanently for us fatties. By the time the fun stuff gets there, we're too blown to do anything with it.

As for Tabata.. http://www.tabataprotocol.com/

My guru, Julien, who I think has never met anyone as tense on the bike for even the mildest corner, has far more of a challenge to improve my speed through technique and Zen than you do if the training pays off. He did things on an uphill the other which were just stupid, and I thought I was reasonable strong going up.

My guru, Julien, who I think has never met anyone as tense on the bike for even the mildest corner, has far more of a challenge to improve my speed through technique and Zen than you do if the training pays off. He did things on an uphill the other which were just stupid, and I thought I was reasonable strong going up.

good to know Mr Louw's classes are paying off... It gets better with time. And practice. And yeah, he's one helluva rider. Watched him coming down Hoogies the other day, all the way from the top as I was sitting on the benches at the bottom. Just so smooth. 

Oh - and I have a mate like that as well. Muzzaratti. Whippet. Slightly shorter than me but must weigh about half of what I do. Climbs like a mountain goat. Then another mate of mine, Luke. Descends like a MOFO. So much talent. 

Having said that - it's all about the fun on the way down. You can smash a climb as hard as you want, and feel awesome at the top - but a good descent is just.... yeah. The rush. The feeling. The excitement. 

good to know Mr Louw's classes are paying off... It gets better with time. And practice. And yeah, he's one helluva rider. Watched him coming down Hoogies the other day, all the way from the top as I was sitting on the benches at the bottom. Just so smooth.

Oh - and I have a mate like that as well. Muzzaratti. Whippet. Slightly shorter than me but must weigh about half of what I do. Climbs like a mountain goat. Then another mate of mine, Luke. Descends like a MOFO. So much talent.

Having said that - it's all about the fun on the way down. You can smash a climb as hard as you want, and feel awesome at the top - but a good descent is just.... yeah. The rush. The feeling. The excitement.

You see there's the difference right there... You okes have a jol.i have bruised palms from the clenching. :) He came down over the table top at the bottom of Conties and cleared it. No pads, nothing. Just for a lark. Even my female friend on the class said 'that looked like fun'. I stuck a stick in her spokes.

You see there's the difference right there... You okes have a jol.i have bruised palms from the clenching. :) He came down over the table top at the bottom of Conties and cleared it. No pads, nothing. Just for a lark. Even my female friend on the class said 'that looked like fun'. I stuck a stick in her spokes.

you'll get there, bro. Trust me. It may not be with clearing 8m tables, or taking massive 2m drops, but as you get better you'll actually grip a little looser, trust yourself (and the bike) a bit more and just learning to relax a bit. I know I need to heed my own advice most of all (loads of things still freak me out, and my crash at hoogies is STILL weighing on my mind) but it gets a little better each day. To use the old adage - Rome wasn't built in a day. 

You've been avoiding this sort of thing your whole MTB "career" - it's going to take a while to overcome those initial hurdles. 

you'll get there, bro. Trust me. It may not be with clearing 8m tables, or taking massive 2m drops, but as you get better you'll actually grip a little looser, trust yourself (and the bike) a bit more and just learning to relax a bit. I know I need to heed my own advice most of all (loads of things still freak me out, and my crash at hoogies is STILL weighing on my mind) but it gets a little better each day. To use the old adage - Rome wasn't built in a day.

You've been avoiding this sort of thing your whole MTB "career" - it's going to take a while to overcome those initial hurdles.

That's what does my nut. I tell my own folk to relax and chill in the pool. It's actually hilarious - he tells me the same things that I tell others. But I shall conquer or conk out - or put another way, if I'm going Roman, I'm going Caligula

(Or I shall stick to Disco points collecting instead of KOM's)

no complaints for 2 days, wow.

Gym booster cash back is coming through nicely. now just need to sort out the iWatch which I have been stalling for no reason at all.

Sorted out the two garmin accounts, it's actually nice that strava is no longer linked to Discovry, you can keep your rides there, then crop out the section with average heart rate above 80% for as long as possible, at least 30 min, then trim and send to garmin for points. So I can still track training on strava.

Wife been struggling to get points with iwatch, but loving it for day to day with being on phone 60% of the day and also slotting in a one year old throughout the day.

We are on a health binge again, so the health food back at PnP is great and stacks of miles!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

How do you send from Strava to Garmin to get the points?  Was thinking of doing the same thing?

How do you send from Strava to Garmin to get the points?  Was thinking of doing the same thing?

You can do your workout on the Wahoo Fitness App. You can from there send the workout to both Strava and Garmin at the same time. 

Works like a charm!

Tapirk - google it. But you have to upload from a device, not a phone..

Sorted out the two garmin accounts, it's actually nice that strava is no longer linked to Discovry, you can keep your rides there, then crop out the section with average heart rate above 80% for as long as possible, at least 30 min, then trim and send to garmin for points. So I can still track training on strava.

Wife been struggling to get points with iwatch, but loving it for day to day with being on phone 60% of the day and also slotting in a one year old throughout the day.

We are on a health binge again, so the health food back at PnP is great and stacks of miles!!!

Surely if you trim (crop) the ride in Strava it becomes a permanently cropped ride and not the original?

Edit: Out of interest, how does one crop out the duration spent stopped for coffee?

Edited by geraldm24

Can't shortening rides knowingly get you excommunicated from the Savages?? :eek:

no complaints for 2 days, wow.

Gym booster cash back is coming through nicely. now just need to sort out the iWatch which I have been stalling for no reason at all.

mine has not come through, i've emailed them so i should year something back in the next 2 - 5 years.

Surely if you trim (crop) the ride in Strava it becomes a permanently cropped ride and not the original?

Edit: Out of interest, how does one crop out the duration spent stopped for coffee?

Can only crop beginning and/or end of ride. If you stop for coffee press stop on the Garmin. Remember to start again.