Discovery Health - Vitality & Team Vitality plus everything else you need to know

AH, but there's the rub. Someone is making money from the swipers. Gym is not free unless they joined before 2009. So they swipe a few times to earn a free drink or 2 a week but PAY to be a member of a gym they are not using. And they pay to be in the Vitality programme....

Who is the fool? Certainly not Discovery.

Meet your goals, and you get cash back from the gym booster benefit...

• Replies 10.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Meet your goals, and you get cash back from the gym booster benefit...

Perfect example of how they make it difficult... I am a National member so I can use gyms wherever am. Only Local members qualify for Gym Booster. If they really cared about people going, why not help people who pay more to go regularly.

Perfect example of how they make it difficult... I am a National member so I can use gyms wherever am. Only Local members qualify for Gym Booster. If they really cared about people going, why not help people who pay more to go regularly.

I downgraded to single club specifically due to this. And I don't use the roaming sufficiently to warrant the extra.

I downgraded to single club specifically due to this. And I don't use the roaming sufficiently to warrant the extra.

With my odd hours I sometimes make do at various places of the city. I must try get Ms Thor to sign on - as of an hour ago she was talking about pulling Discovery entirely. I (and probably, we) don't get the depth of how a non-sporty person views this,especially after how good she has been looking and feeling, and treating her coffee and the watch achievement as a game.

With my odd hours I sometimes make do at various places of the city. I must try get Ms Thor to sign on - as of an hour ago she was talking about pulling Discovery entirely. I (and probably, we) don't get the depth of how a non-sporty person views this,especially after how good she has been looking and feeling, and treating her coffee and the watch achievement as a game.

Bit of an over-reaction from her part, but I understand the feeling. She must feel betrayed, in some way. I just hope (yes, I do) that Disco take all of this dissatisfaction on board and take note of the reduction in activity from those they are trying hardest to meet ito increased fitness...

Only Local members qualify for Gym Booster. 

Oh shoot, really? That I wasn't aware of (hadn't researched enough yet to find out). Thanks!

Bit of an over-reaction from her part, but I understand the feeling. She must feel betrayed, in some way. I just hope (yes, I do) that Disco take all of this dissatisfaction on board and take note of the reduction in activity from those they are trying hardest to meet ito increased fitness...

I cannot fathom the depth of her feeling about it, eother. But yes, to her it must be... Never discount the strength of a successful campaign that has a positive effect on your clients. And then 'taking it away' instead of just providing a stiffer challenge on the same 'day-to-day activity' terms. But then I see the results and the joy guys get from their weight-loss after putting in effort and will-power, and their small victories, and it is clear. Edited by Thor Buttox

So got myself a Wahoo tickr heart rate sensor and have sort of successfully uploaded a workout or 2 to Discovery, but there are some catches. You can track the ride on your phone with The Polar Beat software, this registers on Discovery, but the software is buggy and drops heart rate at random tones. The only way to get the app to pick up heart rate again is to stop the workout and start again. This resulted my ride being split in 4 on Strava, however Discovery were smart enough to join it into one. Tried using the Wahoo app today, which uploads into Garmin Connect. Garmin Connect shows all details of the ride and Discovery shows the date and time of my ride on the device settings. Discovery does not seem to have accepted the ride data though. Just a heads up for anyone else who does not have a Garmin or Polar computer / watch. So far Tapirik might be the best option, if Discovery aren't blocking it yet.

Sent from my E5603 using Tapatalk

Up to know was not too botherd.... But meeting your goal when injured is tricky.

As some know i had a elbow op with a elbow radial head being replaced by a titanium one...

Its been 4 weeks wince the crash that broke the elbow and 3 weeks since the opp.

Luckly the points for ke dropped from 1200 to 300, but since last week back to 400. Yet every week i have made my goal, gym swipes and 10000 steps. Was allowed to strart running this week which gives me 300 per 5 km. But still not allowed to cycle or swim

Vitality ahould allow you to pause the goal based on a medical certificate.

You are lucky you get 300 points for a 5km run.  I ran on Thursday in the rain and wind for 30 minutes only to receive 100 points.  I could have got the same by just swiping at the gym.

But one still pays. And if you miss you don't get 100% back, ie, it's not free. So why pay to join then go swipe without working out? Just not logical.

i just pay the notional virgin membership for the showers at the gym and watt bike in winter. 

Also the steam room is not too bad either.

So got myself a Wahoo tickr heart rate sensor and have sort of successfully uploaded a workout or 2 to Discovery, but there are some catches. You can track the ride on your phone with The Polar Beat software, this registers on Discovery, but the software is buggy and drops heart rate at random tones. The only way to get the app to pick up heart rate again is to stop the workout and start again. This resulted my ride being split in 4 on Strava, however Discovery were smart enough to join it into one. Tried using the Wahoo app today, which uploads into Garmin Connect. Garmin Connect shows all details of the ride and Discovery shows the date and time of my ride on the device settings. Discovery does not seem to have accepted the ride data though. Just a heads up for anyone else who does not have a Garmin or Polar computer / watch. So far Tapirik might be the best option, if Discovery aren't blocking it yet.

Sent from my E5603 using Tapatalk

Unless your DEVICE is a Garmin loading it onto GC will not miraculously earn your Vitality Points. Whether you use tapiriik or not.

I have not tested PolarPersonalTrainer without a Polar watch but we did this in the past.

i just pay the notional virgin membership for the showers at the gym and watt bike in winter. 

Also the steam room is not too bad either.

I'm having a rethink of my approach to this. Gym fees at the national rate are approx R 200 per month. If I have a national membership, I can go to my local gym and also the one close by work. Going there after work is a shedload easier than negotiating rush hour traffic and THEN hitting gym. And I still want to keep my local gym, as I take my lightie swimming sometimes (my wife does that more often as she has the time)

Decisions decisions....

You are lucky you get 300 points for a 5km run.  I ran on Thursday in the rain and wind for 30 minutes only to receive 100 points.  I could have got the same by just swiping at the gym.

I'm running 9.3km daily (every morning).  "Disco" rate the training as a 10-min speed workout - only 100 points per session.  So no more 300 or 600 points for a descent workout!

I would like to see somebody run 10km in 10 min!!!!

They are continually changing the goal posts.....

I'm running 9.3km daily (every morning).  "Disco" rate the training as a 10-min speed workout - only 100 points per session.  So no more 300 or 600 points for a descent workout!

I would like to see somebody run 10km in 10 min!!!!

They are continually changing the goal posts.....

Are you using an HR monitor that is on the accepted list? No? Then all that you will get is the 100 points, as discussed at length.