Discovery Health - Vitality & Team Vitality plus everything else you need to know

I tried keeping my HR below 70% on a ride the other day. Damn near impossible. 

Out of interest, how many hours a week do you ride for Myles?

• Replies 10.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I managed to get above 70% the other day around Koeberg.  Hills help a lot. 

Yesterday however I did a 30 min run and I wasn't able to achieve 70% even though I was pushing and by the end of the run half dead.  (a 20 min run I can handle, 30 min is tough).

I personally think they should go in between ie. 65%-75% instead of 70-80%.  60% is too easy to achieve.

Out of interest, how many hours a week do you ride for Myles?

Averages between 2 & 6 hours, depending on how often I can get out after work. 

Edited by Myles Mayhew

This morning's coffee ride I was averaging 58% (of DiscoMAX) until we split to go our own ways - that was 20km (45 mins).

Besides being in a rush to get home for work, I thought I'd try get it up to the 70% average so I didn't have to go to gym to get the last 100 points I need for the week - I finished on 68% of DiscoMAX.

Is that downhill hours?

LOL. No. I wish. In any way, my HR on the way down is often as high, if not higher, than on the way up. 

This is the type of thing I try to do on most sundays. Doesn't always work out like that though. Only really been the last 2 months or so that I've been able to get out properly. Looking at Strava, it's actually been an average of about 3h per week lately. If that. Work, life, etc. 

https://www.strava.com/activities/528837474

Averages between 4 & 8 hours, depending on how often I can get out after work.

4hrs a week 70< avg should not be a problem, that's considering an hour a day and rest in between for recovery during a weeks training.

8hrs+ a week avg will be more difficult to achieve for me which I doubt I will be able to achieve with 70%< HR week on week for say a month or two as I'll need more recovery time to keep my HR above 70 on each ride.

Not sure even for how long I will be able to maintain 70%< HR on a single ride.

I managed to get above 70% the other day around Koeberg. Hills help a lot.

Yesterday however I did a 30 min run and I wasn't able to achieve 70% even though I was pushing and by the end of the run half dead. (a 20 min run I can handle, 30 min is tough).

I personally think they should go in between ie. 65%-75% instead of 70-80%. 60% is too easy to achieve.

60% may be easy to achieve but currently a >90 minute effort at 70-80% scores 300 points and nothing more if you go for a longer duration.

Compared with 80%, one can get 600 points for 90-149 mins, 1500 points for 150-210 mins or 3000 points for >210 mins.

If the weekly goal is/will be capped at 1200, why award more than that? For the Vitality Status points if different, and they can award higher points.

I used my old mans garmin for Everest and now sometimes if I ride near him it reads my heart rate. Discovery must think he is a machine for doing 5 hours above 102% of his max, 3000 points in the bag.

Top tip, click search for HR monitor during group ride and select the one with the highest HR ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by Pure Savage

The focus of the discussion around points changes is in the wrong area.

Each member can get a maximum of 30,000 points a year for exercise, up from 15,000 base and 15,000 bonus points in the past.

Logically I would assume Discovery would want approximately 75% of their members to achieve this target. It's reasonable that to remain healthy you should do about 5 hours exercise a week. Most of us have time constraints so it's safe to assume this is 3 or 4 workouts a week.

30,000 / 4 / 52 gives a target of 144 points a workout.

The problem comes in with the 3,000, 1,500 and 600 points allocation.

But the points status clearly did not work, so Active Rewards introduced. Again, the issue is not the allocation of the 100 points per workout but the really silly 3,000, 1,500 and 600 points allocation.

What is healthier for you long term? a 3,000 point ride once a week or month or 4 workouts of 45 to 90 minutes a week?

Not to be funny or anything, but you haven't been riding much the  Last 4 Weeks, that's why your Hr is so high

yeah, I know. It's been a bit hectic lately. Even though my bike is permanently on my back seat, sometimes it's difficult to actually get time to do it. 

Does anyone know of an app on the apple watch that will show average heart rate for a workout? I believe you can only see the average heart rate once you have stopped the workout. 

I can recommend Heart Analyzer, which I have been using to try debug why the Apple Watch Workout app breaks outdoor cycle sessions into multiple workouts, thereby robbing me of Vitality points. v3 was released earlier this week.

The developer (www.simonedwardes.com) has been very helpful.