Discovery Health - Vitality & Team Vitality plus everything else you need to know

1 week left of vitality then i get 13 cups of coffee instead of 4 for R260 ;)

One day when i can justify the R3120 spend on vitality per year

or decide to join the gym...

fly in a plane...

wear an apple watch...

use their credit card...

take out life insurance...

shop at their recommended outlets...

etc etc etc.

As somebody indicated to me the other day...it is "only R180" for parking at the polo per year...I ride from the polo pony twice a year...

From today forward i will consult my accountant and if he indicates it is money well spent then i will sign up again...but for now the numbers dont add up.

things which could make me consider it again...

not being tied into a credit card deal...

a garmin product deal...which suits my activities...be it cycling...swimming...running or all

stable point system which is calculated before i start  and increased as my progress is monitored...by an accredited facility like a gym...personal trainer...power training facility etc

return on investment and being rewarded at the end would be an added bonus.

it isnt working for me so instead of whining about it...i will save a few bob for now.

• Replies 10.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think you have to make it work for you Ian. There is a lot more that you can get back from that R200 a month that you outlay for Vitality.

If you were using it for just the active rewards then definitely not worth it. But if you have everything else Discovery has to offer, then your return is much greater, it really just comes down to understanding how everything works so you can take advantage of it.

Shouldn't the Vitality Active Rewards Goal Points be the same for all, regardless if you meet the points goals or not?

They are penalizing those who do reach the point goals and penalizing them by increasing their points. WTF!

I have written to Discovery to put my Vitality Active Rewards on hold due to a right Hamstring Injury and they have obliged.

I haven't been able to exercise for 4 weeks now.

Ultrasound was clear but problem still exists next is MRI

hope my points decrease

Shouldn't the Vitality Active Rewards Goal Points be the same for all, regardless if you meet the points goals or not?

They are penalizing those who do reach the point goals and penalizing them by increasing their points. WTF!

Seriously back on this ? How are those meeting their goals being penalized ? If you are training, then you hope to get fitter/stronger as time passes so it makes sense for them to increase it.

It also keep its challenges, especially for those who are less active as they would need to get out and do more to meet the higher goal.

Again, everyone will soon be on 1200 so then you have nothing to complain about.

I have written to Discovery to put my Vitality Active Rewards on hold due to a right Hamstring Injury and they have obliged.

I haven't been able to exercise for 4 weeks now.

Ultrasound was clear but problem still exists next is MRI

hope my points decrease

I didn't see anywhere in their T&C that they will penalize me by increasing the points when achieving the points goal. Their system just increases points when it picks up that you meet the goals. It should be the same for all as we pay the same. I'm being discriminated and penalized against because I reach the weekly goals.

Seriously back on this ? How are those meeting their goals being penalized ? If you are training, then you hope to get fitter/stronger as time passes so it makes sense for them to increase it.

It also keep its challenges, especially for those who are less active as they would need to get out and do more to meet the higher goal.

Again, everyone will soon be on 1200 so then you have nothing to complain about.

Yes seriously! Why should I get penalized for putting in the effort to get to the points goal, while they keep it low for others who don't?

Yes seriously! Why should I get penalized for putting in the effort to get to the points goal, while they keep it low for others who don't?

Sorry, Nathrix, I have been as critical as any of the way they have implemented this, but complaining of increasing points when you have met your goals is a bit silly. If you meet your goals, you get your 'reward' If you don't, you don't. Nor do those who miss their goals and have low points.

I'm toying with getting my employer to pay my vitality. I've already saved them around R8K this year in flights...

R3K for a year's vitality should be a good trade. my best possible points, based on the time i have to exercise is 700 per week. not looking forward to the required 1200 being hit.

I wonder how many injuries are going to happen with people overtraining in order to hit targets.

I'm toying with getting my employer to pay my vitality. I've already saved them around R8K this year in flights...

R3K for a year's vitality should be a good trade. my best possible points, based on the time i have to exercise is 700 per week. not looking forward to the required 1200 being hit.

I wonder how many injuries are going to happen with people overtraining in order to hit targets.

I'd say none. 30 minutes @ 80% 4 times a week is hardly overtraining. 

Those who train more than that already (except for certain individuals) are already getting more than the required max in one session (me included)

2 rides per week and I hit it. I've only not hit it due to my own laziness and an error in calculation caused me to stop recording 2 minutes before I should have. 

Sorry, Nathrix, I have been as critical as any of the way they have implemented this, but complaining of increasing points when you have met your goals is a bit silly. If you meet your goals, you get your 'reward' If you don't, you don't. Nor do those who miss their goals and have low points.

It's silly that some are penalized for achieving their weekly goals by increasing the points goal. Where in Discovery's T&C does it state that they will increase the points goal for some and not for others?

I'd say none. 30 minutes @ 80% 4 times a week is hardly overtraining. 

Those who train more than that already (except for certain individuals) are already getting more than the required max in one session (me included)

2 rides per week and I hit it. I've only not hit it due to my own laziness and an error in calculation caused me to stop recording 2 minutes before I should have. 

I have time constraints and wake up at 4am to exercise. Weekends are also problematic. I'm also talking about those who have minor injuries that get aggravated in order to hit goals.

It's silly that some are penalized for achieving their weekly goals by increasing the points goal. Where in Discovery's T&C does it state that they will increase the points goal for some and not for others?

it does say that, somewhere. Points target increases will be based on your individual activity history. 

Step 2 in the VAR info sheet

Step 2: Get active Vitality will set a weekly, personalised fitness goal for you, based on your current health status and activity levels. Your weekly goal is set based on your goal achievement over the previous few weeks. Occasionally we do not include the most recent week in your new goal calculation if we haven’t received all your fitness data by the time we set the new goal.

 To achieve your weekly goal, you need to earn a certain number of Vitality points through any of Vitality’s fitness partners or by using a wearable fitness device linked to your Vitality profile.

 As you continue to achieve your goals, your goal will increase with you. This is to ensure that you continue to become fitter over the weeks. However please note that each person will reach a cap of points and that your goal will not continue to increase indefinitely. Your goal cap is determined by your goal achievement, fitness, and health.

 We calculate goals weekly based on past goal achievement. You’ll be able to track your progress as you work on reaching a goal.

 Goal cycles run from midnight on a Friday until midnight the next Friday. Only events completed in that period count towards the weekly goal.

 You need to complete fitness activities between the Friday your goal cycle starts and midnight the next Friday. We allow until midnight on the Tuesday following your goal week for your exercise data to reflect. Your Vitality points may not reflect right away, but as long as you have captured your points – synced your device or captured any Outdoor Sporting Events – within your goal week and we receive the data before the following Tuesday midnight, your activities will count towards your goal.

 We issue rewards on the Wednesday following your goal week and will be available by the end of the day.

Adjustment of Vitality Active Rewards goals It is important to note that the Vitality Active Rewards goals are dynamic: they adjust upwards and downwards based on the members activity and goal completion to either gradually encourage them to the next level or to keep them motivated and engaged at the current level or a lower level should that be more appropriate for their level of fitness engagement. To ensure a smooth transition for those already on Vitality Active Rewards when the changes come into effect in April 2016, we will be adjusting goals downward for certain members to give them time to adapt their training plans to the new points changes should they so choose.

I have time constraints and wake up at 4am to exercise. Weekends are also problematic. I'm also talking about those who have minor injuries that get aggravated in order to hit goals.

This, I agree with, though as we see above if it is motivated you can opt out for a time period if you need to. 

Exercising at the expense of aggravating an injury, though, JUST to get the goals, is a bit silly. You're not "losing" anything. You're still getting all the discounts, just not the additional discounts or active rewards based ones. If you have the watch, though, you may have a case. Though in my opinion you (not necessarily you) should have thought of that before assuming that you'd always hit the goals even if you were injured. 

IE: Always assume that you may at some point need to pay one months' worth of contributions due to sickness and / or injury