RACE PACKS! What gear and gadgets do you really want in your next one?

mikeonthetown

Riding tops, like you get at 3 Towers... Providing that you enter within a specified timeframe, of course.

Also...

If we can choose t-shirt sizes for some events, how about we get to select from a list of possibilities, what we'd like in our race packs...?

Tick 3 out of 5 options from a menu on the online entry form.

I know I definitely don't want those rubbish Nissan socks, but every now and again, fresh new bottles can encourage a cupboard clean out and recycling of the old ones...

Other than that, Patch pretty much summed it up on the bike stuff/consumables.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

WTF!!!! Next you are going to say "I can truthfully only use 1 bike and 1 pair of shoes at a time. The rest are wasted."

How many 100lt duffle bags do you then use oh wise one?

- water bottle .......but not the crappy ones, the ones like Hollard or Momentum brought out last was nice, the rest suck (or is that 'needs to much sucking')...I tend to drop my bottles on route a lot  -_- 

- socks......but this one is tricky, because they always get the length too short!

- rear back light....... the 'cheaper' types ones (non rechargeable ones)

I have done quite a few races and multi stage events in the last couple of years.

I have 3 Sani2C jackets, a Pioneer jacket and kitbag, a BC Bike Race jacket and kitbag, 2 W2W bags and a W2W jacket. I can truthfully only use 1 jacket and 1 bag at a time. The rest are wasted.

Items I actually use regularly are cycling tops, arm warmers, socks, buffs etc.

For multi-stage events, how about trying to add value to the riding experience opposed to supplying us with kit, eg.

1. Offer a skills clinic sponsored by your title sponsor in the main areas your entrants are coming from

2. Offer "ride-before-you-buy" days with your bike sponsor at these skills clinics

3. Good quality photos is always a winner

There are also more creative goodie bag items that can be considered, such as:

1. a Decent multi-tool (with a chain breaker)

2. a rider first aid kit (we had to ride with these on BC Bike Race. Mine weighed about 200g and was the size of a rolled up slimed tube)

3. Alternative clothing items such as a nice leather belt (BC Bike race have a belt buckle as your medal, which I use quite often)

4. Toiletries bag

5. Branded towel.

6. Event branded sleeping bag.

Please don't give me another t shirt or jacket (or bag for that matter).

Nah...jackets and bags are very useful. Besides, not everyone is fortunate enough to do these events as often as you have.

Sheesh but some of you guys are too touchy about your goodie bags.

When I get one and have a look through it my general response is "Oh cool, look, free stuff"

That is of course if it does actually have anything in!

The big question is are useful things seen as valuable in the terms of nice to have rather than "WOW look what I got". Battery recharging packs were, in my opinion, a good idea for a branded item that Ive seen pop up over the last year but has everyone generally received one? The new riders at these events most likely wouldn't have so they would enjoy it but would the previous guys go...  seen that, got that, "boring"

If you have done any race organising then you would know that in most of them there is a budget for the race pack which is added to the entry fee.

It doesn't matter which race it is.  There is no such thing as a free lunch and the samples, if free, need to be put in to packs etc so there is always a cost.

The "goodie bag"or "race pack" comes from days of past and is now assumed by riders and therefore is included.

If you dont have it you stand out.

So now it is costed in to the fees.

This is why fees are so high.

Large multi day races that give you branded kit - that all costs. And the printing etc.

I have had rides pitched to me based on the contents of the race pack - "We have a great goodie bag"

I was quite happy that the 94.7 eschewed the practice,

I reckon if you as an organiser offered an entry to an event sans or with goodie bag you would see many people dont want it.

Personally it is normally such cr@p that I would forego it any way.

not toothpaste, cream etc. 

Recently got a BIG tube of toothpaste in a goodie bag in August 2015.  Thought it tasted a bit funky so checked the expiry date.....August 2014!!!  This is even worse than a back-issue magazine!

Edited by Dazshell

Race branded apparel is always cool (as long as it's not those foam sun hat thingies), or gloves, but socks, shirts, arm warmers/protecters are cool.

I use all the sample toiletries in my commuting bag, so I make god use of the stuff. Pronutro and nutrition stuff is okay, some of the times I have to give the nutrition stuff away cos very few gels etc are Halaal certified.

Stickers are cool, I stick them on my sons bike or mayyyybe my car, if it's a really cool sticker.

I hate old magazines.

Nah...jackets and bags are very useful. Besides, not everyone is fortunate enough to do these events as often as you have.

I would like the choice of this or something else.