Affordable 29'r wheelset?

partydave

I managed to ruin my rear Alex DP21, which by all accounts, is a lackluster wheel.

I thought about having it repaired, but what better excuse to upgrade?

I have a set of Giant S-XC2's in the garage, but unsure if these are actually worth the effort?

I love single track/fast technical stuff and go at it hard, but I very rarely get the opportunity to do so (once every 2 months) The rest of my riding time is spent on tar and gravel roads.

What would be a worthwhile wheelset to upgrade to that won't break the bank?

I'm thinking around the 3-4k mark

Depending on your weight, I'd save up a bit more, an get a crest/hope combo from cwc. By far one of the most popular upgrades and you will notice the difference by a country mile. Looking at about 5500 bucks.

Stan,s CREST or ARCH with Hope Hubs .I have 2 sets 

Depending on your weight, I'd save up a bit more, an get a crest/hope combo from cwc. By far one of the most popular upgrades and you will notice the difference by a country mile. Looking at about 5500 bucks.

Depending on his weight, yes.

Crest rims are soft as warm butter and has a rider weight limit of 86kgs.

But the hope hubs are awesome.

OP if you're in cape town and have through axle front, buy this guys wheels:

https://www.bikehub.co.za/classifieds/166308-29er-wtb-wheels-with-hope-hubs/

Otherwise if you're also below 100kg, search for Edge Design in the classifieds and buy that set, it's lighter and faster but sturdier than the Crest rims.

...and check your tyre pressure regularly.

I wrote of 2 DT Swiss Wheels (OEM stock wheels) and 1 Alex rim DP21 (DT replacement wheel).

It took me too long to realise: wheel integrity > extra grip gained by that (too) low pressure.

Anyways, good luck with whatever you'll find.

I got a set of Vittoria Creed wheels, there are on the heavy side, but I have been really impressed with the build quality, they roll well and have held true. I think around R3000 

nothing wrong with Giant S-XC2's rims you have lying around. Have had mine for 2 years no issues, friend of mine has the same and did the epic last year with those wheels with maxxi tires and he is still riding the same bike and with those wheels. Has only replaced the tires. I supposed at the end of the day if you have the money and want to buy new go for it. The guys have mentioned pretty good options already.

Edited by peds

Id stick with the Giant S-XC2's, they are pretty much bomb proof, 

but if you have cash lying around, get the ZTR ARCH on hope hubs, you will never have another issue again , ever 

even a bigger bargain. Sorry about that, still they both very happy with the wheels and also other parts they bought from Edge Design, 

PS also we did the W2W adventure this year. my buddies  Edge Design's ran like a demon, no issues what so ever..