The good news thread

shova1

• Replies 458
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Some cool anti-poaching going on:

It's great their efforts are reaping rewards, unlike ours that seem to be focused on dealing with the poachers are the rhino is maimed/killed.

It's great their efforts are reaping rewards, unlike ours that seem to be focused on dealing with the poachers are the rhino is maimed/killed.

The way I understand it, the first video is from ZA.

The way I understand it, the first video is from ZA.

Just googled, you're right, Giant is a saffa. I take that back ... Kudos to all involved.

• 2 weeks later...

Parking marshals spoil thieves’ fun in the CBD

Transport for Cape Town, the City’s transport authority, applauds the parking marshals who intervened in several incidents the past month where thieves broke into motor vehicles parked in the Cape Town central business district (CBD) in broad daylight. Read more below:

The parking marshals are employed by Street Parking Solutions (SPS) who is contracted to manage on-street parking in the CBD on behalf of the City of Cape Town.

‘It is no easy job being a parking marshal in Cape Town. These men and women have to endure abuse from motorists who refuse to pay for parking on a daily basis. Some take out their frustration on the marshals who are simply doing what they are paid to do: to collect parking fees. Given the difficult work environment, I want to commend them for not hesitating to intervene on several occasions when thieves broke into vehicles parked in the CBD,’ said the City’s Mayoral Committee Member: Transport for Cape Town, Councillor Brett Herron.

The most recent incident took place at about 11:35 on 18 October 2016 when marshal Buhle Gorati noticed a thief breaking into a vehicle parked in Darling Street.

‘The thief managed to get away with a bicycle, but not for long. Buhle chased after him and got hold of the bicycle which was safely returned to the owner later the same day. I applaud Buhle for his selfless action and for going beyond the call of duty in ensuring that our streets are safe,’ said Councillor Herron.

Marshals Kino Bush and Mandla Rotya also intervened in two separate incidents that took place on 11 October 2016 along Plein Street and Adderley Street respectively. Both incidents happened in broad daylight – the first at 12:15 in Plein Street and the other at 14:30 in Adderley Street – when thieves used remote jamming devices to get their hands onto unsuspecting motorists’ property.

‘Kino and Mandla informed the Central City Improvement District of the suspicious activities, thereby foiling the suspects’ plans. Once again the marshals got involved, demonstrating their commitment and dedication,’ said Councillor Herron.

Also, on 29 September 2016 the Street Parking Solutions zone manager, Joseph Lukale, went to great lengths to return a wallet to a resident who dropped it in the CBD.

‘He found the resident’s AA emergency card, phoned the AA and the AA eventually got hold of the man, informing him that Joseph had his wallet,’ said Councillor Herron.

The resident praised Joseph: ‘He provided me with friendly, effective and efficient service, returning my wallet on the same day it has been misplaced’.

‘I am extremely proud of these marshals, and the many others we have not mentioned here, for doing their part in preventing crime and providing a superb service to our residents. It is through selfless actions and good deeds that we can build a caring society where we look out for one another. Motorists must please keep in mind that the SPS parking marshals are also our eyes and ears on the ground. They are making an important contribution and deserve our respect,’ said Councillor Herron.

All SPS parking marshals wear a name badge and an orange bib, indicating that they are an official parking marshal employed by Street Parking Solutions.

My own selfish good news. I'm going home today after 3 weeks of work in the Cape. The Cape has been good to me but three weeks is a long time away from home. So thank you Cape Town, PE and the Southern Cape. It's been a treat, but it's time to go home.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

My eldest, Conor, has got his matric with a degree level pass...! :clap:

He may get into university, but it seems he is struggling to get into Botswana, and was refused entry there last night! :whistling:

Congrats tumbles

My eldest, Conor, has got his matric with a degree level pass...! :clap:

He may get into university, but it seems he is struggling to get into Botswana, and was refused entry there last night! :whistling:

Well done Conor..pity about the Botswana mix up, anything been sorted out?

There is something really special about seeing your kids achieve something they have been looking forward to since they were toddlers..no more beach or boat bound..now we can all dive together..so special... we have gone from having to dive separately, to them reaching an age where a child minder could watch them on the beach to them going on the boat and snorkeling while we dive, to them finally being in the ocean with us. Hands down the best holiday we have had.[emoji39]

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20161230/4f6be8f028ac9dc4cbf18d289733c5c5.jpg