The good news thread

shova1

Desert Wolf Ground Control Pangolin Station.

One of my favourite animals, saw one many years ago in the Kruger Park (Pangolin, not Desert Wolf, but they're pretty neat too).

My office has now been renamed.

And yes I'm a fool...

*confused *

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 458
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

real good news stories encountered this weekend

firstly the southern cape childrens choir won first place cum laude at the eurpoean music festival, and then a real heartwarming story about the medical practitioner bursary scheme in Northern Natal

I have a personal good story. Well I think it's pretty good. In fact it has been life altering.

Lost a lot of my hearing in the infantry in 1979. Boring old story. 37 years later I finally decide to get something done about it. I got a hearing aid. It's flipping amazing. I can here birds chirping, my dog scratching his neck, all sorts of stuff. I had no idea when people said click with the mouse that it actually made a clicking sound. I can follow conversations at restaurants and I can even hear the waitrons. I have a extra device that syncs to my phone so I can play music and take phone calls through the hearing aid. Cell phones were very challenging for me. Unfortunately I have lost the ability to understand some sounds so sometimes spoken words are meaningless to me but I am trying to remedy that with a rehab program and by listening to audio books

Anyway it might not be a big deal in the great scheme of things but to me it has been and continues to be a remarkable journey.

Anyway it might not be a big deal in the great scheme of things but to me it has been and continues to be a remarkable journey.

All that matters - awesome :) had a chuckle about the mouse click ....

Andrew Steer; "I'm glad I don't live in the US".

Well I have been reading a personal account of a Saffer (a"common man") who recently moved to the US and has started from the proverbial bottom as his qualification is not accepted there.  What comes through is the way the systems work (including the post :eek: ), the people's honesty and the lack of crime and the good spirited generosity of a lot of the people he interacts with.

Politics doesn't feature and ray-cism hardly at all.

I think I could live there.

I have a personal good story. Well I think it's pretty good. In fact it has been life altering.

Lost a lot of my hearing in the infantry in 1979. Boring old story. 37 years later I finally decide to get something done about it. I got a hearing aid. It's flipping amazing.

My old man used to load and fire big guns as part of his military service just after WW2. ne mufflers or headphones provided - it was up to the individual to stick his fingers in his ears! He has a hearing aid but refuses to put the damn things in..drives us all nuts. 

Anyway - glad to hear they are working for you!

Lost a lot of my hearing in the infantry in 1979. Boring old story. 37 years later I finally decide to get something done about it. I got a hearing aid. It's flipping amazing. I can here birds chirping, my dog scratching his neck, all sorts of stuff. I had no idea when people said click with the mouse that it actually made a clicking sound. I can follow conversations at restaurants and I can even hear the waitrons. I have a extra device that syncs to my phone so I can play music and take phone calls through the hearing aid. Cell phones were very challenging for me. Unfortunately I have lost the ability to understand some sounds so sometimes spoken words are meaningless to me but I am trying to remedy that with a rehab program and by listening to audio books

Interesting, working all my life in a noisy engineering shop my hearing has been steadily declining over the years. A few months ago I decided to go do a hearing test and the audiologist told me I have lost the ability to hear the soft sounds like "Cat" for instance, I struggle to hear the "C" so if I am not paying attention I may hear "Pat" or "Mat" as the "P" and the "M" are both more audible than "C". After the session I sort of became more aware of this and found that I seem to be doing a bit of lip reading in some instances, like a noisy restaurant for instance or I make up the sentence by what I do hear.

He said I should get an aid as it will just assist me in noisy areas and / or when I may not be paying attention, I am sort of just below borderline so to speak.

...Now, part of me says its not a big issue, I can carry on like this for a while more and maybe it never gets worse, but the other part says, its going to get worse so just go get it and be done with it, so I am sort of in a quandary.  

.....Hmmm, and "No"... I checked now, I cant hear that mouse click either.  :blush:

Edited by GrumpyOldGuy

Andrew Steer; "I'm glad I don't live in the US".

Well I have been reading a personal account of a Saffer (a"common man") who recently moved to the US and has started from the proverbial bottom as his qualification is not accepted there.  What comes through is the way the systems work (including the post :eek: ), the people's honesty and the lack of crime and the good spirited generosity of a lot of the people he interacts with.

Politics doesn't feature and ray-cism hardly at all.

I think I could live there.

Indeed, folk tend to forget the USA is a massive country of 300 million people, the rule of numbers says that there is bound to be a small percentage of them who are out and out idiots, unfortunately, because of the sheer population, if  we guess that even 5% of those folk are a little "different", (I think its a lot less) then thats around 15 million people,.... all with internet access, and all making the rest look like fools.  

The overwhelmingly vast majority of Americans are just normal folk like you and me going about their lives just like us, the difference I do see is that American society allows all people their space, as long as its legal, its accepted and you can carry on and live your life as you like, theres no judgement or prejudice,.. something SA is still struggling with.

That's my happy feel good read for the day... Thanks and good luck