Review: Giant Reign Advanced 27.5 1

Iwan Kemp

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

at 2260gr for the frame its only 340gr heavier than a Anthem Advanced frame without rear shock...

That can't be right

or the Anthem is built like a tank :)

at 2260gr for the frame its only 340gr heavier than a Anthem Advanced frame without rear shock...

That can't be right

or the Anthem is built like a tank :)

17% more material - sounds about right for the bracing and extra length. This thing is light for what it is... 

Very good review man. Spot on. have one thing to add, which you probably didn't get to test... I've had my reign for more than a year now and the custom offset on that fork isn't an advantage. I fact i put a pike rct3 with no offset on and the handling is much better. It also climbs better if you get your bar height, and suspension tune right. It felt "too long" around corners to me with the custom offset. I am 115kg with gear so maybe that plays a role. But now, with 2 tokens in the fork at 87psi and a few bands i the back with 200psi and some thicker oil and rebound tuning it now works like nothing i have ever ridden.

Very good review man. Spot on. have one thing to add, which you probably didn't get to test... I've had my reign for more than a year now and the custom offset on that fork isn't an advantage. I fact i put a pike rct3 with no offset on and the handling is much better. It also climbs better if you get your bar height, and suspension tune right. It felt "too long" around corners to me with the custom offset. I am 115kg with gear so maybe that plays a role. But now, with 2 tokens in the fork at 87psi and a few bands i the back with 200psi and some thicker oil and rebound tuning it now works like nothing i have ever ridden.

Something I thin we forget witht he rider tuning etc. The okes that test ride these bikes and formulate teh best offsets ride at levels far above anything we ourselves can manage. At that speed, I'm sure the 46mm works. At our speed... yeah. 

Same weight as me, and It's got the max amount of bands inteh rear (electrical tape up to the max level) and I'm slowly getting her there to where I'm happy with the settings. 

But dayum - does she pick up speed FAST. With the adjustments to the rear can, it's now far poppier and just wants to get airborne. My take on it is that the bike is pushing me to get better and faster, beyond my comfort zone. I can feel it egging me on. I just don't yet have the fitness to allow her to run the way she wants to. 

Ever driven a rally car slowly? It won't handle and the gear change is crap.

get it going faster and suddenly you realise why you were born

classic

Even more apparent in an original mini. Those things were born to have their necks wrung. SUCH fun cars to drive. 

I've got the Ali version. I completely agree with the true one bike synopsis.

I rode that actual bike at a shuttle day and there's a HUGE difference between the medium (which I have) and the Large. Anyone thinking about getting one of these should swing a leg over one. They are long bikes. My medium Reign has the same reach as my GT Fury and is only an inch or so shorter ITO wheelbase. And the GT is one of the longest DH bikes you can get.

I think of it as the poor mans Nomad. Truthfully I should never have bought a Reign. I've got a DH bike so having a 65 degree HA 160mm bike is a bit of a waste. I should have got a Trance. But that's no indictment on the bike. 

I struggled to like the bike initially. I'd spent a dirty weekend on a VERY well sorted Rocky Altitude and was totally in love with that. The reign felt like a DH bike by comparison. I added 3 bottomless rings in the rear and 1 token to the front. I run the rear a little harder than recommended but that's only coz I hate pedal bob. The front I also run a little harder than recommended with the pike 5 clicks away from fully open. I used to open and close the fork for climbing and descending but the dropper, rear and fork was just too much admin.

Of the other Reigns I've done the parking lot test on one in particular feels VERY good. I Might copy that setup and put in another token up front and another ring on the rear just for that extra ramp up feeling.

I'm not fully happy with the suspension setup just yet but In my opinion it's the perfect bike for a guy who likes gravity but can only have one bike.

I'd have NO problem taking it to the Alps. The only Mod I'd make would be a bigger front chainring coz you aren't "earning" your turns.

The standard equipment is more than adequate and any upgrades would purely be down to personal preference. Mine I've thrown on some Hope M4's, Saint 203 Rotors, Renthal bar, 1x10 and a fizik saddle purely for aesthetics.

That would be Brawler's reign you're talking about. Yeah. Trying to get it close to that.

Granted, when you rode this one it was set up kaaaaak. Way too much pressure in the front, and I was playing with the rear and it had too much pressure int eh back. Got it FAR more to my liking now. With the tape mod it ramps up so damn nicely... 

Of the other Reigns I've done the parking lot test on one in particular feels VERY good. I Might copy that setup and put in another token up front and another ring on the rear just for that extra ramp up feeling.

35% increase year on year on the RRP?  Is the bike different in spec for 2016?

there was a $350 increase on the US price due to the Full XT m8000 treatment (and downgrade of shock to RT, as well as an increase in the ZAR/USD exchange JUST as the new stock was priced. Those 2 factors played havoc with the pricing. 

I did the calcs when the new price was released, and confirmed that it's solely down to that. 

EDIT: It's actually priced BETTER than in the states atm, due to the forward pricing that this batch has. USD price is $5,200 which at the current rate comes out at R74,700

So at R 67,500 you're actually getting it at below $ retail on the PREVIOUS version... $4,698 instead of $5,200 (2016) vs $4,750 (2015)

Edited by Myles Mayhew

I'm not fully happy with the suspension setup just yet but In my opinion it's the perfect bike for a guy who likes gravity but can only have one bike.

This was a problem I had as well... Just couldn't get it feeling right... But finally I have sorted it, 4 tokens up front at 70psi and it runs oh so nicely.

Also did the electrical tape thing in the back and run at 300psi, feels really good allround now. Oh, also Reign 2 ali.