Meezo

time for an oil change before the heat it seems, its been 12 or so months  :whistling:

your bike was the guinea pig(halaal version) so lets wait and see how long it lasts

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

your bike was the guinea pig(halaal version) so lets wait and see how long it lasts

A guinea pig, despite its name, is neither from Guinea nor a pig - it's a rodent. Are rodents halaal?

/hijack

A guinea pig, despite its name, is neither from Guinea nor a pig - it's a rodent. Are rodents halaal?

/hijack

Maybe in Indonesia they are.  :ph34r:

I recently serviced the brakes on my wife's MTB, and it is amazing how quickly the oil gets dirty. I would suggest a complete oil change every 6 months. That is if you ride around 25km per week.

Brake hydraulics is a sealed system, how would dirt be getting in there to the extent that your oil becomes noticeably dirty and without a significant degradation in braking performance?

Oil in automotive brake systems seem to go brown from corrosion in calliper pistons etc but MTB bikes don't have that issue?

Brake hydraulics is a sealed system, how would dirt be getting in there to the extent that your oil becomes noticeably dirty and without a significant degradation in braking performance?

Oil in automotive brake systems seem to go brown from corrosion in calliper pistons etc but MTB bikes don't have that issue?

Friction makes dirt. No need for it to be external.

Friction makes dirt. No need for it to be external.

Pretty sure that minute particles of dust can also get into the system past the pistons in the caliper as they move in and out whilst braking.

Pretty sure that minute particles of dust can also get into the system past the pistons in the caliper as they move in and out whilst braking.

Highly possible. Dust gets everywhere.

I had the same issue with my Guide brakes... took them apart, piston in drill and sanded with 800grit paper, reassemble and voila! Perfect braking again!

post-4529-0-42003300-1506009686_thumb.jpg

• 4 months later...

First off I must stress that I am by no means a qualified bicycle mechanic, I do have little very little experience with them. Secondly I cannot take full credit for this fix, the idea was given to me by a very very generous hubber who’d had offered to fix for me for free. KUDOS @BikeWhisperer and a close friend @gyro for the time

Ok, then this is not an avid or shimano appreciation thread, nor an avid vs shimano thread.

Which way does no 5 come out? Upwards, or downwards though the black ring?... sorry, just saw the previous tips. Bottom up.... doesn't seem to budge.

Edited by Pipsqueak

Which way does no 5 come out? Upwards, or downwards though the black ring?... sorry, just saw the previous tips. Bottom up.... doesn't seem to budge.

Yes bottom up, have you removed part no 8? I made this mistake before

Also i found the right size allen key and a small knock with a rubber mallet helps

Yes bottom up, have you removed part no 8? I made this mistake before

Also i found the right size allen key and a small knock with a rubber mallet helps

Yes, you're right. With so much dirt in there, a small whack got it out. Turns out the little bar at the top of the plastic roller fitting had snapped. So I guess I'm in for a new brake lever unit. Any ideas where I can get one of these?

Yes, you're right. With so much dirt in there, a small whack got it out. Turns out the little bar at the top of the plastic roller fitting had snapped. So I guess I'm in for a new brake lever unit. Any ideas where I can get one of these?

mine snapped as well & I put it back in just like that & still work 100's, post a photo of yours so I can see if we are talking about the same piece.

mine snapped as well & I put it back in just like that & still work 100's, post a photo of yours so I can see if we are talking about the same piece.

post-37618-0-62698600-1519103455_thumb.jpg

Its like a little pin & post that bridges the two side pieces. I must also note that its NOT a good idea to grab the piston end with your pliers...!

Maybe I'm just looking for an excuse to get a set of Hopes...

Edited by Pipsqueak

attachicon.gifIMG_8371.JPG

Its like a little pin & post that bridges the two side pieces. I must also note that its NOT a good idea to grab the piston end with your pliers...!

Maybe I'm just looking for an excuse to get a set of Hopes...

yep same piece i was reffering to, that could still work but the other part i crossed out, I'm afraid you can't do without that.

post-3951-0-94585400-1519112626_thumb.jpg