Praxis wide range casette durability

txz201

Hi Guys

I fitted a praxis 10 speed wide range casette near the end of October, recently my gears started jumping. On closer inspection 3 of the teeth on the 34T cog have broken off. I have done about 1000km on the casette. Is it normal for the casette to wear this quikly as I now need to replace it and am considering alternatives if this is the case.

post-80561-0-37566900-1451983123_thumb.jpg

I was just thinking the same thing. How the Praxis Durability is? I am un-decided between: Rapidé Sunrace Wide Range 10 Speed Cassette and the Praxis Wide Range Casette.

But jees, if this happens only after a 1000KM. Then I will change casettes every month..  

Hi Guys

I fitted a praxis 10 speed wide range casette near the end of October, recently my gears started jumping. On closer inspection 3 of the teeth on the 34T cog have broken off. I have done about 1000km on the casette. Is it normal for the casette to wear this quikly as I now need to replace it and am considering alternatives if this is the case.

Hi txz201

Sorry to see you're having problems with your cassette. Perhaps if you can give me a buzz so that I can get some additional info from you and get you sorted?

033 346 2300, ask for Andre ;)

Hi Guys

Based on your nice sharp pic it is clear that the two largest sprockets are made of a different material to the rest because they have a different metallic lustre, presumably some type of alu based alloy. This would be a compromise that the designer made to reduce weight of the cassette at the expense of reduced durability from softer alloy material. Such compromise could be justified on the basis that the easiest (largest) cogs would be used less often.

I presume you fitted a new chain with the new cassette? In which case I agree that it is reasonable to expect more than 1000km/ 3months from this setup. I have over 4000 km on my XT cassette with Kalbo conversion....

Your 34t shows signs of significant wear on the remaining teeth in comparison to the larger alloy sprocket behind and the steel ones in front. Note the rounded trailing edges (where the chain pushes against the tooth) and elongated gaps between teeth. This indicates you are spending a lot of time in this gear compared to the 40t behind and the smaller one in front. It also indicates the chain could be worn because the chain is clearly riding high on the teeth as evidenced by the rounded trailing edges on these teeth. If not a chain wear issue then the design of this particular sprocket needs a bit more attention from Praxis.

Maybe you could fit a smaller front chainring to ease your gearing so that you spend less time in the soft alloy granny gears at the back.

Edited by JXV

Hi txz201

Sorry to see you're having problems with your cassette. Perhaps if you can give me a buzz so that I can get some additional info from you and get you sorted?

033 346 2300, ask for Andre ;)

Always good to see a supplier step up to the plate.

Keep us posted on the follow-up.

Always good to see a supplier step up to the plate.

Keep us posted on the follow-up.

Contacted Andre who was very helpful, he will be chatting to Praxis and is sending me a replacement cassette free of charge. Very impressed!

32T Hope retainer ring

Intesesting to know, based on JXV's explanation.

If what he says is true, then you'd have to make use of a 30T chainring?

As an owner of one of these cassettes this worries me but the response is also assuring.

Maybe also consider your shifting patterns. Some people shift at the worst times and put the alloy teeth under pressure. Also consider your chainline.

My lady rides with one of these and hers is perfect. That being said she rides softly and never has a bad chain angle.

Glad to see andre stepping up and investigating. Great service as usual.

Intesesting to know, based on JXV's explanation.

If what he says is true, then you'd have to make use of a 30T chainring?

Ja I was thinking maybe you are pushing a 34t or 36t on a 29er and could easily step to a smaller front blade. 32t is very normal so maybe gearing is not the answer here....