Read any good books this holiday?

Vetseun

• Replies 424
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I would say his adult stories are even better than his kids stories. Out and out my favourite author

One of mine as well, "James and the giant Peach" wonderful imagination, I may just read it again.  :D

Roald was an interesting fellow as well, not many people knew but he was a fighter pilot in World War 2, certainly he lived an interesting life.

• 3 weeks later...

On Book 4 of the Dagger and the Coin series. I find it fascinating, unlike any other fantasy series. Not as much focus on action, but the characters and story draw you in.

18458800.jpg

Agreed about Roald Dahl's writings - his autobiography was most interesting.

Maybe covered but I read Tim Noakes' memoirs recently and found that too very informative and interesting - aside from diet on fluid intake, training for sport, coaching and even why you get tired!

I've read a few books over the past few months. 

'Dividing the great' and 'Be brave, be strong'  - both about the Tour Divide mountain bike race. Really enjoyable.

A couple of Dennis Lehane books - he wrote the book of the movie Shutter Island. Movie was average but his books are a really good read.

Rough Ride by Paul Kimmage - a really good book from the point of view of someone who is really pretty much cannon fodder in the peloton.

Currently reading The Fatal Shore, a history of convict Australia. It's surprisingly readable and I'm enjoying it a lot!

Agreed about Roald Dahl's writings - his autobiography was most interesting.

Maybe covered but I read Tim Noakes' memoirs recently and found that too very informative and interesting - aside from diet on fluid intake, training for sport, coaching and even why you get tired!

Yah, I have only read Tim Noakes book "The Lore of running" which I think is now in its 4th or 5th edition, probably still the go to book on running for many, well for me anyway. During summer I follow his road training principles and have done so for years, I can almost do it out of my head now, and in winter when its cold and snowy I run on a treadmill at the gymnasium and just convert the techniques from "road to treadmill" - although its getting chilly now, I can still easily run outdoors but I am not looking forward to the 90 minutes on a treadmill time again.    

• 2 weeks later...

Does anyone on here ( that resides in PTA or similar ) have Ralph waldo emerson books ?

I can't find at any local book store , or they just don't look for it when I call.

Hoping to borrow said book for A week or two :)

Have any of you read any Jo Nesbo books?

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

All of the Harry Hole ones  and two others that have been translated into the english.

Some better than others and the Snowman has been made into a very bad movie.

Picked up the new Phil Gaimon book. He comes across as very bitter whilst simultaneously trying to paint Danielson as a tragic hero character. He hates dopers unless they are his friends? I can't quite work out his new angle. Doping is bad unless I know you personally in which case...cool man, you do you.

Pro cycling on $10 a day was fantastic. This just seems...limp

How are you doing with the series? David Gemmell is one of my all-time favourite fantasy authors. I've read his Druss, Waylander and Skillgannon books to pieces.

loving it so far. Started off with Legend, when I should have started with the later (but earlier) Druss books. 

But I'll do that later. On to the King Beyond The Gate now. 

loving it so far. Started off with Legend, when I should have started with the later (but earlier) Druss books.

But I'll do that later. On to the King Beyond The Gate now.

No it's right that you started with Legend..that was the first one written.

Keep it in the order that he wrote it.[emoji4]

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk