Would you buy a Bryton again?

Christian van Zyl

79 members have voted

1. 1. Would you ever buy a Bryton Computer

• Yes, great value
    • No

I still use my Bryton Rider 40 that I bought in 2013. The unit itself works fine and hasn't given me any issues. It does what it needs to do perfectly without any hassles and I still feel at the price it was a good buy.

The heart rate strap though is crap. I've replaced mine 3 times and still it sometimes works and sometimes doesn't. I have to mention though that the guys at Ballistic bikes exchanged the strap each time without questions asked. Great service, but also shows that they know it's crap.

The Bryton software also works fine, but I don't think it compares to the Garmin software.

If I had to buy again I will buy Garmin. That is, if the couple of bucks more for the Garmin isn't an issue. If I'm on a budget, I'll definitely look at a Bryton again.

Garmin is superior to Bryton, no doubt. But I do believe there is a place in the market for Bryton, as a more cost-effective option, especially given the looming economic conditions.

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It hasn't launched yet, but something really cool if you're in the market for a new head unit. 

http://www.dcrainmaker.com/2015/09/wahoos-computerelemnt-first.html

Check it out

I used to have a manager that said "if you buy baked beans you either buy KOO or you buy k@k." and i think the same rule applies with cycling gps units. If you want a unit that just works get a garmin. The others might be cheaper or what ever but as per this thread alot of the people that went with bryton would rather get a garmin next.

I used to have a manager that said "if you buy baked beans you either buy KOO or you buy k@k." and i think the same rule applies with cycling gps units. If you want a unit that just works get a garmin. The others might be cheaper or what ever but as per this thread alot of the people that went with bryton would rather get a garmin next.

There are definitely proper GPS units coming through from the smaller player who are hungrier and more innovative. 

I've seen very innovative software and hardware advances from the smaller brands that excite me.

Once upon a time people said the same about mobile phones, you just had to have a Nokia, then you had to get the Blackberry, now it is Apple and Samsung. 

Perhaps at the moment Garmin is leading this race... Not sure if you remember that brand called Polar? 

As far as I know ballistic bike has given up the Bryton agency in SA , so I'm hoping this is someone testing the waters to take over the agency cos I really like the new range.

If anyone is looking for a budget gps unit - try the new lezyne mini. I haven't played with one myself yet but the specs and price look right!

Yes! I got one for my birthday in September and all I can say is it's brilliant! For what it costs and what it does I am more than happy. It is a really well screwed together piece of kit with a machined aluminium bezel and it feels like it could be driven over by a car and still keep on working just fine.

Mine was around R1800. Yes, it doesn't connect to external sensors etc (there are the bigger models for that) but if all you are wanting to do is log your rides and then do all the analysis post ride then this is the perfect unit.

The website is also pretty good too, offering automatic strava sync.

Another plus, when you connect the device to your pc it checks if there is a firmware update available for your device and then lets you know.

There are definitely proper GPS units coming through from the smaller player who are hungrier and more innovative. 

I've seen very innovative software and hardware advances from the smaller brands that excite me.

Once upon a time people said the same about mobile phones, you just had to have a Nokia, then you had to get the Blackberry, now it is Apple and Samsung. 

Perhaps at the moment Garmin is leading this race... Not sure if you remember that brand called Polar? 

Polar still have their place (not GPS). GPS was Garmin's territory and the fitness world moved in that direction - presumably it was easier for Garmin to add fitness software than for Polar to add good GPS functionality. Unless someone else brings out some entirely new technology, logic says Garmin are likely to continue leading the GPS race given their resources and experience. Garmin's quality has been proven to last so the only place to compete is price and support - almost every comment on this thread has made that very clear. 

If you can sell their units for significantly less than an equivalent Garmin and provide excellent backup service then you should have a winning formula (with some good marketing to back up those points). The biggest risk is another cheaper competitor entering the market (like the Lezyne by the look of it).

I've owned a Bryton since they were first launched in SA and it is still going strong (bought it due to the excellent price). Only complaint is the online software wasn't great so had to use Strava. I know a number of people that bought them and really enjoyed them with few or no complaints, but I think they have all subsequently moved on to Garmin which is seen as an upgrade.

NEVER EVER AGAIN!!!! I had 3 units all 3 replaced in a matter of less than a year of which the last one they wanted me to pay in the difference and i respectfully declined and went Garmin...Never looked back

Just an observation, but those that say yes to Bryton seems to have started on Bryton. Can't remember seeing anyone saying that their Garmin was rubbish so they decided to go to Bryton.(Appologies if that missed it). Simple really then, Bryton is good if you haven't tried Garmin.

I don't think the intent of starting the thread was to elevate Bryton to "best cycling GPS headunit" but rather to establish if t represents good value in a market with tough competition.

The perception that the Garmin Head units are superior is not relevant. Garmin were the first to market a GPS cycle computer so it stands to reason they would be ahead of the game.

Does Bryton offer a good product for the money? Yes.

Does it compete with Garmin? No

What does it compete with? Perhaps units like the lower end Garmins or Lezyne or Mio.

The vast majority of cyclists don't need the capability that Garmin offers and manu can't afford it anyway (indicated by the fact that conventional cyclo computers still sell very well).

I've never owned a Bryton. I have looked at it and even borrowed one for a month to check it out. I think its a great value for money product that does what most cyclists need of it. I probably wouldn't give up my Garmin to buy one but then I do use the functionality the Garmin offers.

Ja..I can't really fault my bryton... It's still working fine 5 years down the line and the battery is still great. The mount needs replacing but other than that I'm happy... Still wouldn't buy another one though... But at the time it was the right decision

Soo.... After reading through all the posts I decided to compare the units (Garmin and Bryton) and then decide on a unit.  As this will be my 1st GPS unit I am not too worried about it detecting the sweat droplets pH value on my forehead, but more to aid me in navigation and get me back to a certain waypoint.

I contacted Garmin and got good feedback and brochures, tried ballistic bikes and need a username/pwd to login to bryton section.... contact Bryton directly and got the following reply "New distribution agreement is in progress, we will let you know once it settled and then let our distributor to co-work with you"

No brochure / pricing available until the new agreement has been signed.... nice way of keeping your brand alive

From this I could only gather that  although the Bryton might offer good units, when you can reach them, I will have to fork out a bit more hard earned ronds and go the Garmin route...

This is something that the smaller brands need to work on!

No matter how innovative and 'hungry' they are, if it is nearly impossible to find reviews on the specific device, or more than just the utter basics about it on their international website, then chances are that people are going to go for the more established competition.

Replace the login page with a basic landing page explaining the situation. Just communicate.

• 5 months later...

(Sorry for the Necro but I've been off the Hub for quiet some time.)

My answer is "No" ... but if they where still in the local market I would still recommend it to those who are looking at getting started.

* Great value for money

* HRM was the only thing to go and that was from me damaging it while changing the battery and damaging the little cover.

* Worked every-time.

* Showed me I don't need half the functions I thought I did.

* My phone and google provides me with all the missing features.

But now I'm going with the flow and will be upgrading to Garmin one day and will slap my Bryton onto my 9yr olds MTB.

So I lost mine in a pile of rocks in the berg... can't fault it.. But will I buy another one... Nope

Oh well, send me to the naughty corner... I've gone and ordered a new Bryton Rider 530, I'm coming off an old Rider 50 that never gave me any issues at all and is still going strong. Just found it bulky, don't need all the maps, turn by turn etc and fancied a change. At R2000 all in it seemed pretty good value. It's decent for the bulk of what I need for riding, custom training programs and my PMeter use. Wish it had the courses type thing to compare previous rides when you're out training. 

Now I know this is going to take some digesting to all but I did have a Garmin 500, got rid of it and kept the Bryton 50 until now... and no, I'm not poor, not a newbie, can afford a Garmin, not a retard, not tech illiterate, do race and train. ;)

Apparently it's more #aero than the garmin and can save you 9 seconds over 40kms* 

http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/MTA2NlgxNjAw/z/2QoAAOSwc1FXY7Qv/$_57.JPG

* totally not true but you liked it a little bit more didn't you.... ;)

Edited by hellocolour

Wow, good price for the 530!

I bought a 310 a few months ago via Ebay, but until I get my hands on a power meter I am just sticking to my trusty Rider 20.