What becomes of stolen bikes (Cheap Groupsets)

intern

Recently I had the opportunity to buy two new XT groupsets, 1x11 and 2x11, unused, for bargain prices, R14k for both. What a great deal, right? A number of other hubbers were vying for one or the other of these deals, but I managed to speak with the seller and secure them. As I am not local, my brother, who works in the industry, would act as my point man.

However, something about the deal just didn't feel right. The advertiser had zero posts (a serious Rouxtjie rule violation). He also didn't sound like a cyclist (yes, prejudice, it is my friend and companion). Look, the dude wasn't a West African, but still.

The seller was quick to provide bank details, but had a 'noname brand' gmail address, provided an FNB bank account with no name and had to be pressed to provide a name which, when it did come, didn't quite sound legit (Mahomed Mahomed).

When I asked of the provenance of the groupsets and why they were for sale, the answer didn't quite ring true either. Apparently, they had been bought from Chris Willemse but, oddly, never used, because the individual in whose hands the goods were, had decided he wanted the XTR Di2.

Now, why would anyone buy TWO new XT groupsets, never use them, then onsell them at ridiculously low prices, so he could buy XTR Di2? TGTBT. If it were me, had I bought a new XT groupset...or, oddly, TWO of them, I would at the very least use the bike once or twice. Or ten or fifteen times. Then I would sell not for the fastest sale, but a reasonable price.

The seller was also inordinately keen to close the deal immediately, but as any reasonable person knows, it can take some time to make arrangements. Most honest and straight up people won't have an issue with that - after all, we're all busy people and aligning the stars can be tricky.

Further, another hubber (or Bike Hubber) had also wanted one of the groupsets and had indicated in comments in the ads his interest. I contacted him to get an idea of what transpired privately between that Hubber and the seller; the answer: fishy as hell, pushy and in a real hurry to get rid of the goods.

Now, did I mention that my brother works in the industry? He also smelled a big old rat and said 'hold your horses, son'. Bikes are being stolen out of shops these days (he reps to shops); stolen bikes have new groupsets on them.

You know where this is going.

So, brother checked with one of the shops on what spec was stolen on the pilfered bikes. Would you believe it, XT 1x11 and XT 2x11. Needless to say, there was no deal. I received an angry email from Mahomed Mahomed, who had this to say:

'I just wanted to express my utmost disappointment in you and the way you do business

Our deal was suppose to be concluded 2 days ago yet I am just getting dragged along and delayed every day.

I have lost out on alot of prospective buyers because I took your word that you was a ''genuine buyer''

Thank you for wasting my time and messing me around'.

Well, since I believe you to be the purveyor of stolen goods Mo, that is my pleasure.

Now having seen the Frank Truter thread and the NJ Crichton one, I'd just like to bring this to everyone's attention. There are dodgy operators out there,  so use your kop when cutting a deal.

Someone will buy those groupsets, as there was a HUGE amount of pushy interest to secure one. But think about where these bits come from. They don't fall out of fresh air. Bikes are being plundered left right and centre, from what I can gather. Those bargains effectively come at someone else's cost, and by buying one, you could be knowingly or unknowingly (pick any one, doesn't matter) supporting the bike syndicates that not only rob your local bike shop, but which could very well be involved in targeting YOU when you're out for a ride.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Recently I had the opportunity to buy two new XT groupsets, 1x11 and 2x11, unused, for bargain prices, R14k for both. What a great deal, right? A number of other hubbers were vying for one or the other of these deals, but I managed to speak with the seller and secure them. As I am not local, my brother, who works in the industry, would act as my point man.

However, something about the deal just didn't feel right. The advertiser had zero posts (a serious Rouxtjie rule violation). He also didn't sound like a cyclist (yes, prejudice, it is my friend and companion). Look, the dude wasn't a West African, but still.

The seller was quick to provide bank details, but had a 'noname brand' gmail address, provided an FNB bank account with no name and had to be pressed to provide a name which, when it did come, didn't quite sound legit (Mahomed Mahomed).

When I asked of the provenance of the groupsets and why they were for sale, the answer didn't quite ring true either. Apparently, they had been bought from Chris Willemse but, oddly, never used, because the individual in whose hands the goods were, had decided he wanted the XTR Di2.

Now, why would anyone buy TWO new XT groupsets, never use them, then onsell them at ridiculously low prices, so he could buy XTR Di2? TGTBT. If it were me, had I bought a new XT groupset...or, oddly, TWO of them, I would at the very least use the bike once or twice. Or ten or fifteen times. Then I would sell not for the fastest sale, but a reasonable price.

The seller was also inordinately keen to close the deal immediately, but as any reasonable person knows, it can take some time to make arrangements. Most honest and straight up people won't have an issue with that - after all, we're all busy people and aligning the stars can be tricky.

Further, another hubber (or Bike Hubber) had also wanted one of the groupsets and had indicated in comments in the ads his interest. I contacted him to get an idea of what transpired privately between that Hubber and the seller; the answer: fishy as hell, pushy and in a real hurry to get rid of the goods.

Now, did I mention that my brother works in the industry? He also smelled a big old rat and said 'hold your horses, son'. Bikes are being stolen out of shops these days (he reps to shops); stolen bikes have new groupsets on them.

You know where this is going.

So, brother checked with one of the shops on what spec was stolen on the pilfered bikes. Would you believe it, XT 1x11 and XT 2x11. Needless to say, there was no deal. I received an angry email from Mahomed Mahomed, who had this to say:

'I just wanted to express my utmost disappointment in you and the way you do business

Our deal was suppose to be concluded 2 days ago yet I am just getting dragged along and delayed every day.

I have lost out on alot of prospective buyers because I took your word that you was a ''genuine buyer''

Thank you for wasting my time and messing me around'.

Well, since I believe you to be the purveyor of stolen goods Mo, that is my pleasure.

Now having seen the Frank Truter thread and the NJ Crichton one, I'd just like to bring this to everyone's attention. There are dodgy operators out there, so use your kop when cutting a deal.

Someone will buy those groupsets, as there was a HUGE amount of pushy interest to secure one. But think about where these bits come from. They don't fall out of fresh air. Bikes are being plundered left right and centre, from what I can gather. Those bargains effectively come at someone else's cost, and by buying one, you could be knowingly or unknowingly (pick any one, doesn't matter) supporting the bike syndicates that not only rob your local bike shop, but which could very well be involved in targeting YOU when you're out for a ride.

Good on you for not sealing the deal.

We all know the old saying; if it's too good to be true it probably is...

There are some reputable bike shops selling groupsets that have been removed from new bikes where customers have upgraded, however these deals aren't advertised buy shady characters with untraceable contact details.

After that (rather long) read I'm still unsure of the sellers Bike Hub handle...

Between the prejudice remark re West Africans and then the Mohamed Mohamed reference... What was the actual handle? I haven't come across a Mohamed Mohamed. Thus, making sure.

After all that typing I'd hope you would name and shame the seller to actually assist hubbers.

Glad you avoided a dodgey transaction.

Hi intern

Please hit the report button on this user or his advert or send me his Bike Hub username so that we can investigate.

Thanks

After that (rather long) read I'm still unsure of the sellers Bike Hub handle...

Between the prejudice remark re West Africans and then the Mohamed Mohamed reference... What was the actual handle? I haven't come across a Mohamed Mohamed. Thus, making sure.

After all that typing I'd hope you would name and shame the seller to actually assist hubbers.

Agreed

Had to wade through the waffel and not any the wiser.Dont know why it was not reported as well

should have pushed him for an address and said you wanted to view before making payment... Then got the cops to go check out the place...

Dude, well done for not buying. Many others would have quietly bought the bits. It takes a person of real integrity to not buy a super good deal....

Today we managed find one of our bikes that was stolen a year ago out of the yard and it was found in our area a few roads away with nothing changed but the front tyre.

Today we managed find one of our bikes that was stolen a year ago out of the yard and it was found in our area a few roads away with nothing changed but the front tyre.

Did the posesor threaten to shank you with a screwdriver?

Happened to me once when i found my friend's bike, albeit resprayed matt black

Hi guys sorry was away on the weekend. Seller was 'Bike Man'.

Archived