What becomes of stolen bikes (Cheap Groupsets)

intern

Jeepers you can go on...

I disagree with you.His identity is important and the bike shop should be directed to him and let them and the cops deal with it.Unlike you i do have faith in our police.

Keyboard vigilantes and sleuths dont inspire much confidence..

Yeah, OK. I have no idea why or how I've ended up explaining myself to the likes of you. Good day sirrah.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Did the posesor threaten to shank you with a screwdriver?

Happened to me once when i found my friend's bike, albeit resprayed matt black

Actually it was a decent guy in his 40's, at first he was resistant and gave a long story he bought it from a bikeshop, then my buddy took out some old pics and pointed out the exact parts & unique markings the bike had, I could even tell him what was in the saddle bag, when I opened it the description was exact down to the multitool..!!

By then his story changed and said he bought it for from a guy at a nearby scrap yard for 4k and even has a receipt for it.

Curious to see who the seller was loaded him and the bike into the van took him to his house to get all his stuff (which happens to be within 1km from where we stay)..! and proceeded to visit the selller at the scrap yard,

after waiting a few minutes for the seller to return to the yard it turned out he bought the bike for 3k and sold it for 4k to this dude, also acknowledges he issued a sale agreement but claims he didn't know it was stolen...like wtf?? ...the Campy Shamals alone will sell for 7k in the open market.

Thanks for the heads-up Intern.

Sometimes, not often, I smaak a waffle.

As a side issue; but related; did the Yeti gents (Cyclic) manage to get the guys who stole their bikes, arrested?

That would show whether the SAPS would be effective in such a case, even though its a complete bike, with serial numbers, etc.

What are the chances of stolen components, bikes etc ending up being sold through legitimate bike shops. That used to be a pattern in the motor vehicle industry, no reason why it couldn't be happening in others.

What are the chances of stolen components, bikes etc ending up being sold through legitimate bike shops. That used to be a pattern in the motor vehicle industry, no reason why it couldn't be happening in others.

Out of interest. How did this happen in the motor trade? What about procurement management etc?

Not talking about major franchised dealers, but certainly some smaller independent motor dealers, repairers and spares suppliers were buying stolen parts a while back. My old man was involved in an investigation in 1995 into exactly this in KZN.

Out of interest. How did this happen in the motor trade? What about procurement management etc?

Not sure about the motor trade but I have twice been offered "second hand"components from a "'friend "when buying components 

One was an XT crank and the other was a Dura Ace brake set.

I'm terribly sorry that my effort to bring this to your attention wasn't exactly as you might have liked it to be presented, but the reality of it is that I am 12000km away in a very different time zone. After figuring out what was up, I got up early in the morning, rushed to my computer and quickly typed out that 'waffel' before going in to work and then away for the weekend.

As for getting the SAPS involved, or even the bike shops with missing bikes, there is no way they can prove ownership of groupsets. See the problem, clever dicks? My brother tried all of that, at his own time and expense, and there was little he could do beyond keeping my money out of the hands of a dodgy dealer. I'd like to think every other hubber will have the same level of consideration for their fellow cyclists. Well, I'd like to. But the market for hot goods is clearly booming, which some poor sod will learn to his detriment today or tomorrow or later in the week.

There's some more 'waffel' for you to chew on, cuzzin.

Dropped the D  :clap:

Well done for not buying them. :thumbup:  :thumbup:  :thumbup: :thumbup:  :thumbup:  

I had the pleasure of having my S-works taken from me on the milnerton cycle lane. So now I engrave all the components as well as secrets markings on my zipps!

Well done for not buying them. :thumbup:  :thumbup:  :thumbup: :thumbup:  :thumbup:  

I had the pleasure of having my S-works taken from me on the milnerton cycle lane. So now I engrave all the components as well as secrets markings on my zipps!

post-11806-0-74303600-1453113366_thumb.png

It may be hard to engrave, but when you find it, you can shout, hey, dick butt, thats mine!!

Also people would really struggle explaining this marking to any possible buyer.

Amazing how easy it is to buy and sell stuff on the Hub. Yet , if you need to buy ( say ) a pack of headache tablets from the chemist , you need to provide details of the breakfast you had yesterday morning , your mothers maiden name , etc . Se maar net .

• 1 year later...

Archived