Momsen not selling frame sets?

Champ4C

Hi Champ4C,

Whilst we understand that you are unhappy that you cannot buy a 2016 VIPA TEAM frame-kit - however we at no point created such an option in our line, either in our catalogue or on the website? Our website shows clearly the models we had on offer - some are now sold out and with the R/$ we will not be getting anymore for this season - unfortunate but a decision that was made. 

We made a decision back in March 2015 that we would be doing 2 very high-end VIPA COMPLETE BIKE models for 2016 - these have just arrived as the VIPA TEAM and VIPA TEAM LIMITED. At no point did we communicate or advertise that we will be doing a 2016 VIPA TEAM FRAME-KIT option? We cannot sell what we don't make/offer in our line?

Furthermore we have signed OEM agreements with all our key international partners ( Shimano, Sram, Fox Racing Shox, Stan's No Tubes etc etc etc ) - these agreements are to protect the brands from having people strip components off bikes and sell off as " leftovers". This is why we will never strip a frame to sell as an aftermarket item when it was originally offered as a complete bike and model in our line. I am sure you can understand this and that any of our Momsen Authorised Stockists would have communicated the same to you? 

Your point about a friend buying a 2015 VIPA TEAM is true - as for 2015 we offered the VIPA TEAM as a frame-kit.

As mentioned elsewhere in this post - we cannot just order 1 frame from the factory, we have to make " range decisions" and the market ( for the VIPA ) has moved from Frame Only ( in 2014 ) to COMPLETE BIKE options being preferred - this from both our dealers and end customers. 

We have plenty of 2015 VIPA Frames still in stock as well as a planned run of VIPA CUSTOM frames which will be ready in about 3 weeks time - your Authorised Stockist can assist you with pricing and sizes/qty availability on these?

Should you have any further queries - please send an e-mail to info@twowheelstrading.co.za and we will gladly try to assist should your dealer not be able to help.

TWT i think you missing the point. He is not unhappy because he cant get what is in your catalouges ot because you understandably cant strip down a bike, he is questioning why you dont have frames on its own, as simple as that. People who have bikes with high end group sets quite often want to either make a brand change or hardtail to DS, so why then have the expense for a full bike rather than building the existing groupset onto a new frame?

On your side either its not commercially viable (in which case one need to understand why compeditor brands can get it right) or you are just out of touch what your clients need.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I've been riding a momsen for over 5 years now. After riding a couple of other brands before I think Momsen is an amazing brand! Very responsive frame builds and amazing performance. I,ve been using the SL 729 carbon frame and build it up to just under 10kg. What a bike! Being so happy with my bike I decided to save up and replace my hardtail frame with the new Vipa 2016 team frame. This is my first dual sus frame and being very excited I called Momsen early in Jan to order my new frame! Guess my huge dissapointment when they told me they only sell the bike as a whole and you can't purchuse the frame only!?!

Now this can only be my lack of knowledge but thats rediculous right? They turning away a happy supportive customer and super fan. Now sitting with the question do I buy another brand which I do not really want to but Momsen is forcing me to go that route.

Really dissapointed and dont know what to do?

Please change the thread title. How is this a customer service fail? Seems more a marketing strategy to me...

OP, your expectations lied to you and by creating this thread, you merely came off as brattish and spoilt.

Admin should lock this thread.

Has he? I don't think so. He's disappointed and rightly so. And is questioning a marketing decision Momsen has made - again he's untitled to do that. He hasn't thrown his toys and moved to another brand etc etc. The thread title perhaps isn't that fair on Momsen/ TWT as is it wasn't really a customer service issue to begin with and they've responded well. Edited by Ryanpmb

Look at the custom frame options. Not bad at all. The 2015 frame also looks nice. Otherwise the Pyga is a good option too.

I think that you're being a tad unfair in your expectations of TWT/Momsen wrt having frame kit for sale for 2016. They have done incredibly well in the shortish time that they have been in the market which has fairly lead to high expectations. However they have made what they feel is the best decision for them as a company based on information given by the industry and public feedback via lbs' s. Just because a few people think they should have 2016 frames available doesn't mean they should all of a sudden ensure that this becomes an option on their catalogue. Nor should they sit with a volume of merchandise that they can't sell because there is little to no demand for that product. TWT/Momsen is merely doing what they feel is in the best interests of the company.

TWT i think you missing the point. He is not unhappy because he cant get what is in your catalouges ot because you understandably cant strip down a bike, he is questioning why you dont have frames on its own, as simple as that. People who have bikes with high end group sets quite often want to either make a brand change or hardtail to DS, so why then have the expense for a full bike rather than building the existing groupset onto a new frame?

On your side either its not commercially viable (in which case one need to understand why compeditor brands can get it right) or you are just out of touch what your clients need.

Sorry Guys it was not my intent to offend Momsen or anybody. I just wanted to know why I couldn't get to buy a frame separately. Just wanted to upgrade my frame to a Vipa and dreamed of it for over a year now. Was just really dissapointed and wanted to know why I couldn't. Yes my thread name is probably wrong, trying to figure out how to change the topic...

Thank Momsen for giving a great answer!

As I said, I will always stay a true Momsen fan!

TWT i think you missing the point. He is not unhappy because he cant get what is in your catalouges ot because you understandably cant strip down a bike, he is questioning why you dont have frames on its own, as simple as that.

That part was answered as well.

Sorry Guys it was not my intent to offend Momsen or anybody. I just wanted to know why I couldn't get to buy a frame separately. Just wanted to upgrade my frame to a Vipa and dreamed of it for over a year now. Was just really dissapointed and wanted to know why I couldn't. Yes my thread name is probably wrong, trying to figure out how to change the topic...

Thank Momsen for giving a great answer!

As I said, I will always stay a true Momsen fan!

Edit your original post on the thread using the full editor option. It allows you to change the title. Or report your own post and I'm sure a mod would do it for you.

Hi Champ4C,

Whilst we understand that you are unhappy that you cannot buy a 2016 VIPA TEAM frame-kit - however we at no point created such an option in our line, either in our catalogue or on the website? Our website shows clearly the models we had on offer - some are now sold out and with the R/$ we will not be getting anymore for this season - unfortunate but a decision that was made.

We made a decision back in March 2015 that we would be doing 2 very high-end VIPA COMPLETE BIKE models for 2016 - these have just arrived as the VIPA TEAM and VIPA TEAM LIMITED. At no point did we communicate or advertise that we will be doing a 2016 VIPA TEAM FRAME-KIT option? We cannot sell what we don't make/offer in our line?

Furthermore we have signed OEM agreements with all our key international partners ( Shimano, Sram, Fox Racing Shox, Stan's No Tubes etc etc etc ) - these agreements are to protect the brands from having people strip components off bikes and sell off as " leftovers". This is why we will never strip a frame to sell as an aftermarket item when it was originally offered as a complete bike and model in our line. I am sure you can understand this and that any of our Momsen Authorised Stockists would have communicated the same to you?

Your point about a friend buying a 2015 VIPA TEAM is true - as for 2015 we offered the VIPA TEAM as a frame-kit.

As mentioned elsewhere in this post - we cannot just order 1 frame from the factory, we have to make " range decisions" and the market ( for the VIPA ) has moved from Frame Only ( in 2014 ) to COMPLETE BIKE options being preferred - this from both our dealers and end customers.

We have plenty of 2015 VIPA Frames still in stock as well as a planned run of VIPA CUSTOM frames which will be ready in about 3 weeks time - your Authorised Stockist can assist you with pricing and sizes/qty availability on these?

Should you have any further queries - please send an e-mail to info@twowheelstrading.co.za and we will gladly try to assist should your dealer not be able to help.

Questions, have question marks,.."Statements", with question marks, however, merely shows your ignorance...., maybe a psychological look into your customer relations.

They can do what they want obviously, but not sure it's the correct strategy?

Imagine you want to upgrade your shifters and Shimano says, sorry bud, you have to buy a new groupset.

Sounds like profit first, but I guess it is a business and not a charity.