Race Fail: Ashburton Meerendal 2016

Rock Guy

Sneaky swine!! But seriously...surely as a sweeper you can't get taken off the course. There would never be any sweepers who made it past half way then??

If someone drops out, can't you just sprint to the next/new last person? [emoji14]

Like Empty said, the whole point of the sweeper is to sweep the back. It's mainly a safety thing.

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If someone drops out, can't you just sprint to the next/new last person? [emoji14]

Like Empty said, the whole point of the sweeper is to sweep the back. It's mainly a safety thing.

Yip, that exactly what i'm going to do. It will be a good training for me for the 36One.

And they Promised Me Lots of Beers...So how could I say no to that...

I am sorry but Saseeding is a joke! :thumbdown:

They told me last week that they are still busy finalising the results and I should check again on Monday.

Still people missing in the results 

Still duplicates with different times

Can they only manage 1 race per month?

Surely you can not pause all races for a couple of months while they sort their **** out.

Sorry for Hi-jacking this thread.

Hope one of you guys can answer.

I was asked to be a "Choc Cow" Sweeper at the Ashburton Sabie Ultra race.. But this is where my problem comes in. Because you have to be a sweeper, you must start at the tail end and help the Last guys doing the Ultra. But, when they don't make the Cut-Offs at halfway or before Halfway, will I also be taken off the course (as I have to ride with the last guys,being a sweeper and all),and seeing as its a UCI Event?

Because I am also using this race as a Training ride for 36One. And no-one can answer me. And I def don't want a DNF on my record....

Hi-Jack Off

sweeper should stay on the course, as the last person on it. There could be guys who just make the cut off, and then struggle later. Sweeper brooms them up,eventually.

That's the obvious theory, but these guys might have other bright ideas.

Am I Reading it Correct. The Sabie Ultra entry Fee is R400 and The Half Marathon is R240.

Fun rides is R150 for 20km and R100 for the 10km?

:eek:

Am I Reading it Correct. The Sabie Ultra entry Fee is R400 and The Half Marathon is R240.

Fun rides is R150 for 20km and R100 for the 10km?

:eek:

mountain biking is the new golf...............

at Fancourt you pay R2000 to play The Links #just_saying.

getting there slowly, it's like putting a frog in a pot with cold water and then turning up the heat.....

getting there slowly, it's like putting a frog in a pot with cold water and then turning up the heat.....

I say charge what the market will pay, just make sure expectations are met, and on golf, whenever I play the Links, I play as many shots as possible. I hate paying more than R25 per shot [emoji6]

I say charge what the market will pay, just make sure expectations are met, and on golf, whenever I play the Links, I play as many shots as possible. I hate paying more than R25 per shot [emoji6]

what about the market pushing out prospective rider's due to the perceived cost the market is willing to pay. .....this is truly becoming a elitist sport now

what about the market pushing out prospective rider's due to the perceived cost the market is willing to pay. .....this is truly becoming a elitist sport now

The cool thing about a free market is that somebody will fill the gap and create "value for money" races as soon as the demand gets there.

Sorry for Hi-jacking this thread.

Hope one of you guys can answer.

I was asked to be a "Choc Cow" Sweeper at the Ashburton Sabie Ultra race.. But this is where my problem comes in. Because you have to be a sweeper, you must start at the tail end and help the Last guys doing the Ultra. But, when they don't make the Cut-Offs at halfway or before Halfway, will I also be taken off the course (as I have to ride with the last guys,being a sweeper and all),and seeing as its a UCI Event?

Because I am also using this race as a Training ride for 36One. And no-one can answer me. And I def don't want a DNF on my record....

Hi-Jack Off

1. I'm a regular CHOC sweeper, can't help at Sabie due to Transdraak same day.

2. You stay behind the last rider as you pointed out. If they get put on a shorter route, you need to go find/chase the last rider who made the cut-off and stay behind them ... and so on till the finish.

3. You are not an official participant, you will get a CHOC number plate and therefore also no official results.

4. The Sabie Ultra is over when you cross the line ... it'll be almost dark and you shouldn't have any problems finding your car ... it'll be the last one in the lot.

5. Welcome to the world of CHOC sweepers, hope to catch you at the next one.

:-)

Scanning is an odd new habit. Why not simply allow riders to check in with their phones, or with a something like a tracking device - even a #trailtag seems old?

...anyway, Sorry OP, for the diverting.

I was in batch B, and saw atleast half of batch A still waiting to be scanned by " a single person",..when the other half went off..., really bad planning, and it wasn't as if there were thousands of entrants..

The A batch leftovers, were just tossed to the back,..and I've seen some very angry convo's exchanged

1. I'm a regular CHOC sweeper, can't help at Sabie due to Transdraak same day.

2. You stay behind the last rider as you pointed out. If they get put on a shorter route, you need to go find/chase the last rider who made the cut-off and stay behind them ... and so on till the finish.

3. You are not an official participant, you will get a CHOC number plate and therefore also no official results.

4. The Sabie Ultra is over when you cross the line ... it'll be almost dark and you shouldn't have any problems finding your car ... it'll be the last one in the lot.

5. Welcome to the world of CHOC sweepers, hope to catch you at the next one.

:-)

Ha ha ha ha, awesome. Yip kinda excited to feel how It feels to finish dead last ha ha ha. But it will be the best training ride for 36One. Will get in a good couple of Hours on my legs,and then again the next day for the 40km.

Luckily I wont be looking to far for my car. Will be staying at Merry Pebbles. :clap:

One Plus Point, I will get to take some good pics, seeing as I will be right at the back and no one chasing me.. :thumbup:  :thumbup: :ph34r:  

So the market must now be dictated by its conscious opposed to a motive to make a profit? There are still a few good "kerk bazaar" races for under R200, which somehow struggle to attract large volumes. My granddad always say that if something doesn't sell, you put the price up.

So the market must now be dictated by its conscious opposed to a motive to make a profit? There are still a few good "kerk bazaar" races for under R200, which somehow struggle to attract large volumes. My granddad always say that if something doesn't sell, you put the price up.

My grandfather always said, you can dress up a turd, but it will still be a turd (Well he never said that, but I thought it appropriate).

Archived